Considering used 2015/2016 R8 - Things to consider? (uk)

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering used 2015/2016 R8 - Things to consider? (uk)

Considering used 2015/2016 R8 - Things to consider? (uk)

Hello

I am new here from the RS3 forums

Considering a used R8 V10 (580 PS)

The reason for this is there are used examples appearing around the 90k-100k (GBP) bracket here in the UK

So far I have identified a couple of cars at one dealership

Trying to make sure I've looked at all the costs of such a move ?

So far the insurance and monthly repayments seem sensible

How hard should I be negotiating on price with the dealers ?

The one thing I have noticed so far is that nobody seems to spec the 5 year warranty from new so these cars have around a year of warranty left which is a little bit concerning. The dealer I spoke too said that I could be looking at 3k+ to extend it per year so I have said I would expect him to sort that ?

The options list for them also seems bewildering? what options are things I shouldn't be compromising on when looking for a car?

Cheers for any input

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Considering used 2015/2016 R8 - Things to consider? (uk)

In my view the only must have option in the UK market is the Driver Convenience Pack which includes a reverse camera and cruise control. Even those could probably be retrofitted but would be a pain. The rest comes down to personal preference and it would not be hard to spend 10-12k on options on the configurator. My build included £13,600 of options though £2500 of that is exclusive paint.

I think a set of 19" forged wheels would be close to a must have, as an upgrade from the standard cast wheels and some would even consider 20" a must have as the 19" can look a bit over tyred on the back. Options like bang and olufsen were and still are sought after options on the gen1. And if you are intending to keep the car for a while, the extended leather with contrasting cross stitched seats look really good.

It's too early to say if the magnetic ride shocks are more reliable than the gen1. For a while they were highly sought after on the gen1 until they started failing - now the standard suspension seems to be just as popular.

Sports exhaust is also a good option and included in the Sports Plus pack which also includes dynamic steering (non essential) and magnetic ride. The options are not that hard to navigate, try to get a brochure - if you want an early one then send me a PM. Or the online configurator has not changed too much.

I guess a lot of R8 buyers don't know how long they will keep the car so why spend 2500 on extending the warranty before you need to. And those buyers that do spend the money up front on 4th or 5th year warranty are less likely to be selling at this time. I think I know why you ask though, as its quite common for Porsche and bmws to have an extended warranty taken out at the time of new car purchase. So far the cars have been robust, apart from a rattle in the front suspension which I believe can be fixed under warranty and was addressed in the 2017 model year. There is a short article in this months Car magazine on buying a used gen2 R8 but it wasn't particularly thorough.

There will always be some margin for negotiation but the magnitude will vary a lot from dealer to dealer and even from car to car.

The 2015/16 are Gen1 R8. If your budget allows for 100k GBP, why not go for a used Gen2? They are certainly within reach at this price.
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V8 - Satin Pearl White - GT Wing/Canards - Custom Tcu Tune - SprintBooster - Carbonio CF Air Intake - Milltek Exhaust - Clearplex - Hawk Performance Ceramic - Airplay AV - Michelin PSS.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

nij

We can get gen 2 dealer's 2015 demonstrators here in the UK, but I'm not sure which model the OP is referring to as he mentioned 580PS. Early gen 2 cars are plus only, which has 610PS and gen 1 plus has 550PS.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieR8 View Post
    The 2015/16 are Gen1 R8. If your budget allows for 100k GBP, why not go for a used Gen2? They are certainly within reach at this price.
    OP is referring to gen2 V10 though the power is incorrect. Generally speaking us Brits refer to registration year rather than model year. There are a few from early 2016 for sale here

Yes it's a gen 2 I am wanting / looking at

Of of the two the dealer had the one with decent options and low mileage has sold.

Ended up going to another dealer and trying a 2017 spyder and v10 plus yesterday as I've never drove one before..

The v10 plus is available from the end of May and they are wanting 122k for it. It's a reasonably spec'ed car with the sports exhaust, b&o sound, carbon side blades. It has 1000 miles on it.

At 122k though that really puts you into the territory of a lot of other good cars a lot of which I've not tried..
    Last edited by Thegoodfight; 04-30-2017 at 09:40 AM.

West London Audi had an even higher spec demo for sale earlier in the year - similar low miles and 3 months old, I think it was floret silver; they listed it for ~117k. Are you looking at the Ara blue Plus at York Audi? It looks like a nice spec car and colour. Based on pricing Ive been following for some time now, I think that car should be closer to £115-118k dealer price; I would not be surprised if they drop it a few grand if it hasn't sold by the end of the 3 month minimum demo period. Most dealers chance their arm a bit when there is still plenty time left in the demo period.

Note that Audi Smartphone Interface was introduced as an option on the 2017 model year and could be quite handy if you like playing music from your phone.

For the similar money you could have a new 911 GTS, a used GT3 or used 911 Turbo; I tried them all (didn't actually drive a GTS, but drove a C2S & C4S) but ruled them out for reasons that are beyond the scope of this thread.

Hi Steve

Thank you for your responses they have been very helpful

Yes it's the aura blue at York Audi. They have said I can try it on an extended test drive soon as well.

Your guide price is helpful and I will bare it in mind

I've never had a car with ceramic brakes either and that concerns me a bit.. how much would one be looking for these replacing when the time comes?

Does that car at York Audi have all the options that one would class as essential?

The other thing is due to the changes in taxation in the U.K. on road cars buying that car which is already registered would save me £2,000.00 as well?

Cheers

I had a look at the spec and some of the pics of the JCT website. The only thing I'd be slightly wary about is the seats - it looks like they are the bucket seats but I can't be sure. Of course the most important thing is that you find them comfortable but a lot more than half of the forum members prefer the sports seats as they are a bit more spacious and have full 18 way adjustability. So they may put a good few buyers off when you sell. Other than that it's a nice looking car in a popular colour and the 20" black wheels set it off well.

You won't have to pay the £2000 first year premium for a new car registered on or after 1st April but you will have to pay a standard year tax at the old rate since this car was registered on 1st Feb, it's around £500.

nij

Quote Originally Posted by Thegoodfight View Post

I've never had a car with ceramic brakes either and that concerns me a bit.. how much would one be looking for these replacing when the time comes?
    The ceramic brakes will out last the car unless they get damaged. In which case, you are looking at about £2000 per disc plus labour.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast