Audi R8 Forums banner

Loving my car but have question.

13K views 73 replies 23 participants last post by  RTC 
#1 ·
After 3 years in a porsche turbo i see a difference in the drive of this car. At higher highway speeds i notice a "light" feeling in the steering wheel, almost like i have a tire going flat or something. Feel like the car is slightly weavingProbably just a feel kind of thing but it is a little concerning when it happens. Any one else?

Ps: i did lower my tire pressure to the 2 person limit listed in the manual.

#2 · (Edited)
How old is the car? It could be down to a number of things; road surface, tyre wear and/or brand or incorrect suspension geometry. I would try driving it at a similar speed on a different road and see how it feels.

#3 ·
Odd. All of my R8s have felt firmly planted at high speeds.

What pressures are you running?

I have always run 36 psi cold on the street (usually ends up with about 38 psi when warmed up).

Are you still running the worthless P-Zeros and how much wear are you seeing?

#6 · (Edited)
I have the same problem. Switched from magnetic ride to v10 plus suspension and the problem remained. Got new pilot super sports to replace Bridgestone s04, and the problem remained. Messed with all sorts of pressures, again the problem still remains. I'm stumped at to what it can be. It's actually a very unsettling and unstable feeling.

#8 ·
Could it possibly be that the track rod ends need adjusting? My gf's Range Rover Sport's steering was horrible straight from the factory. We had to take it to the dealers twice to get them to investigate properly. I loathed driving it but once they'd adjusted these it was a different car. Not necessarily saying that's what's wrong with yours but it does sound vaguely similar.

#10 ·
Have all the suspension bushings inspected.
It's rare that they wear but it can happen.
Check all suspension bolts too. If loose a bolt can oval the hole it resides in and allow unwanted movement.

These cars are very solid so something being even slightly loose could cause what you're feeling.

#11 ·
What tires are you using? Check your alignment and wheel bolts. I've not notice this behavior up to 250 kph. How fast was your higher highway speeds?

#13 ·
I am doing speeds over 300 kph on a regular basis in my R8 V10 Plus and never had this feeling.
Especially compared to my former 991.1 Turbo S, the R8 feels more planted at higher speeds.
With higher speeds, I mean speeds exceeding 250 kph (156 mph).
Either there is something wrong with your steering/tires/tire pressure or... :confused:
I am driving using the factory recommended tire pressures and I have OEM Pirelli PZero PZ4 in 20" size.

#18 ·
I just noticed you have a brand new gen 2? If that's the case, I have no idea what it could be. Mine shows the same characteristics at about 80mph too but is a gen1. I don't think suspension blocks is something you can miss.

#25 ·
took it out again today after inflating tires to door jamb specs. Still feels like it is wandering at 85MPH. Kinda feels like a cars feels when you are driving in a big crosswind. I guess I will call service however not confident in their expertise with this car type.

#26 ·
This really does sound like poor suspension geometry. If it were me I would make a visit to a good set up shop and have it checked.

#27 ·
The door jams psi are BS. car will feel like it is on ice. Run all 4 wheels at 35 psi. And as soon as you can ditch the P Zeros and get some MSC2s. 245/30/20 P Zeros are 3/4 of inch narrower tread then 245/30/20 MSC2s

#29 ·
I just picked up my new, Gen 2, R8 V10 Plus, last Friday and I noticed the same sensation of instability at higher speeds, but only when it was quite windy. I don't remember my Gen 1 feeling this way. I followed the suggested pressure recommendations: 42 front and 36 rear I think. I'll lower them both to 36 and see if there is a difference.

It could just be that the tires are new and a bit squirrelly until they wear a bit.

#30 ·
for sure the Gen 2 R8 V10 plus gets light at high speed with wind...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.