Winter Traction

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Traction

Winter Traction

Anyone else having trouble getting traction in the winter The tires in my car will break loose 1st to 3rd.... The car is loving the 40 degree weather.

I do have a question about the traction control. Is it better to just leave it off? Is it bad for the car when it cuts in abruptly and cut the engine power? I am sure sport mode is not as bad as when it is on?

Just curious. I know if I leave it off I run the risk of running into the ditch but I really dont get crazy. Just let off the cas when the tires break and it is fine. Kind of neat to let the back tires get loose and let the front ones pull you straigh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Winter Traction

Get winter tires for the winter if you are going to drive your car in the winter. My first experience in the snow was exciting. I could not stop or turn in the snow with summer tires. Other than that it was great. ESP can save your life. I would not take it off.
    '04 A8L and '09 R8 R-Tronic, Ice Silver, Limestone Grey, Carbon Side-blades, Engine and Interior, Premium package, B&O, Upgrade leather, Navigation Plus

Quote Originally Posted by duhawks View Post
    Anyone else having trouble getting traction in the winter The tires in my car will break loose 1st to 3rd.... The car is loving the 40 degree weather
    Yes, summer performance tires suck in the cold. You are in Atlanta, so dedicated winter tires would be a little over the top. Perhaps something like the Conti DWS would work? It is a perfomance tire which works in the cold. Anyone have any direct experience?

Quote Originally Posted by duhawks View Post
    I do have a question about the traction control. Is it better to just leave it off? Is it bad for the car when it cuts in abruptly and cut the engine power? I am sure sport mode is not as bad as when it is on?

Just curious. I know if I leave it off I run the risk of running into the ditch but I really dont get crazy. Just let off the cas when the tires break and it is fine. Kind of neat to let the back tires get loose and let the front ones pull you straigh.
    It's not "bad for the car", but it does use the brakes some (as well as the throttle) to keep the wheels from spinning. If it comes on a lot you can get some additional brake wear.

Remember, traction control (ASR) helps keep the tires from spinning; stability control (ESP) helps keep the CAR from spinning! So turning off traction control by itself might be okay if you are intentionally "performance driving" and don't want the computer killing the power. Leave the ESP on though, it will help you keep control of the car when you are having fun and "acting up".
    Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.
    When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. - Alain Prost

2012 R8 GT 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 4.2 6MT | 2008 TT 3.2 6ST | 2004 S4 Avant 4.2 6MT | 2001 S4 Competition 2.7TT 6MT

Winter weather - anything below about 45 degrees.

Pilot Sport Cups - NO! NO! NO!! My oh my the past week and a half have been skatey. Great on the track and I'm guessing in hot weather, but anything below 60 and every corner is a lesson in YIKES!!! I had them on the car after the track weeks.

Pirelli Soto-Zeros - what I ran the past couple of years. Nice sneakers and they seem to work quite well in the warmer weather of fall nicely.

Just put a set of Dunlop Winter 3D's on the car yesterday. The jury's still out. They squirm a bit and they don't seem to have as much grip in today's 60 degree weather as the Soto-Zeros.

I wish, so badly, that they made Blizzaks in the sizes we need for our cars. Those tires are 'da bomb'. They make my RS6 a total cold weather, bad condition goat. The traction they offer is flat out amazing.

And, they work quite well on days like today.
    Yellow Dog Racing
    2011 Samoa Orange V8 R-tronic

Available in R8 sizes and surveys ranked it #2 out of 26 tires in this category. (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

ExtremeContact DWS

The ExtremeContact DWS (DWS for Dry, Wet & Snow) is Continental's Ultra High Performance All-Season radial developed for drivers of sports cars, sports coupes, performance sedans and sport trucks. The ExtremeContact DWS is designed to satisfy their year-round driving needs by blending dry and wet road performance with light snow and slush traction.

ExtremeContact DWS features an advanced silica-based, high-grip, all-season tread compound molded into a unique asymmetrical tread design with stable shoulder blocks and a continuous, notched intermediate rib on the outboard side to enhance responsiveness and cornering stability. The center of the tread features independent blocks separated by high-angle, crisscross grooves to provide the biting edges necessary to deliver wet road and light snow traction while independent inboard shoulder blocks help disperse water to further enhance hydroplaning resistance and foul weather traction.

The ExtremeContact DWS features Tuned Performance Indicators visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.

The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wound jointless nylon cap plies to provide long-term integrity under high-speed conditions while reducing weight and helping to provide more uniform ride quality.
    When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. - Alain Prost

2012 R8 GT 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 4.2 6MT | 2008 TT 3.2 6ST | 2004 S4 Avant 4.2 6MT | 2001 S4 Competition 2.7TT 6MT

+1 on the soto zero's
    I look forward to the switch, very grippy in cool weather.
    I dont drive much in snow, pick my days during winter.
    Only caveat with these are that i was warned the compound is soft and will melt in temperatures above 15C or 60F. Might be a factor favouring the all season Conti.

cheers
    FS
    R8 V10 Black O2 Silver

I had Sotozeros on my M3 and they were quite good as "ice tires". They kept the car as sporty as possible.

But for "real" snow, I prefered the Nokian WR I had on my 911TT. The grooves are deeper. They don't feel as solid as the Pirellis and I found them a bit more noisy, but the fun I had in snow you cannot imagine !!!

BTW: I live in Quebec, Canada... quite a lot of snow from December to April...

Current:
    2014 Space Grey BMW X5 35i M Sport Line
    2013 Estoril Blue BMW F30 335i xDrive M Sport Package

Past:
    2012 White BMW X5 35d Diesel
    2011 Suzuka Grey Audi R8 V10 coupe ***SOLD***
    2011 Red BMW M3 convertible
    2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
    2009 Black 997 911 turbo coupe
    2007 Black 997 Carrera S coupe

No matter which tire you select, please post a review in the Wheel and Tire Discussion forum (where I'll move this thread).

Anybody have experience with the Dunlop Winter Sports? Also, any recommendations on a complete wheel/tire package? Tire Rack only offers one wheel (OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT) and only in a 19". Their tire recommendation is the Soto Zero and the aforementioned Dunlop's.

Also, would you put 18" wheels on your vehicle to improve traction?

I have a couple of days on Dunlops now - and I'm not overly impressed with them in the coldish and damp on occasion climate we're experiencing right now. It was in the low 40's and wet yesterday and the Dunlops are no where near as sure footed as Soto-Zeros. They had very little traction in what I thought they'd excel in.

I can't say what they're like in snow/ice/slush yet because we've not had any so far (and I hope we don't).

I'm thinking I made a mistake not going back to the Sotos. On dry stuff, the Dunlops are nowhere near as sticky as the Soto's were either. Not happy with them.

Winter tire wheel package - the OZ's are nice wheels, but aren't they a tad pricy?

If you don't have ceramic brakes, you can run an 18" wheel and get more sidewall flex which equals even better traction. I know Audi offers a 18" wheel for the R8, so you might consider looking into those? I'll bet they're not inexpensive, though.

You might be best looking for a set of used stock 19's and sticking Soto's on those.
    Yellow Dog Racing
    2011 Samoa Orange V8 R-tronic

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements