Audi R8 Forums banner

Track wheels/tires

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MooMoo52518 
#1 ·
Ok, so for those of you who track and drive the R8 on the street. What type of wheel tire setup do you have in terms of stock and aftermarket wheels. What I'm asking is, do use the

1. stock wheels with track tires on the track, and have another set of "Street" wheels with performance tires for the street
2. Stock wheels for both
3 aftermarket wheels for both

I'm thinking of after market wheels but I'm afraid of damaging them on the track so I was going to use the stock wheels but go wider in tires for the track, and use the more expensive aftermarket wheels for the street.

#2 ·
Run the stock wheels on the track - they're just about as light as you'll find and they work just fine.

If you really want to get a dedicated track wheel, look into an 18" setup. There are companies that make them for our cars in 18 - not sure who, though.

Another track option would be OZ Ultralegerra wheels - light weight, good quality and not horrible on the wallet.

Sneakers - Progression through the brands isn't a bad idea. Start out with the stock Pirelli's - they're not bad once up to temp and the Gen 1 cars like them at 36-38 hot. Move up to something like the Micheline Sport Cups then on to Toyo R888 and then to Hoosiers.

Each tire has it's advantage over the next, but you trade off some things too. The street tires are very forgiving and they generally will give you a lot of feedback right up to that point of letting go and when they do let go there's usually a lot of notice. As you move up through the different tires you'll see increases in traction but a decrease in the letting you know they're gonna let go.

Play with tire temps. My old V8 loved most tires at 36 psi hot. Pushes a bit (understeer)? Either add more rear pressure or drop front a bit. You'll see a handling change with remarkably small pressure changes.

If interested, I have a set of stock silver rims with Toyo's already mounted. Fronts may have one session on them, rears are about half life - so you'll have a set that will all wear out about the same time.

#3 ·
Thank you for the info! I think I will stick with the Stock rims on the track like you mentioned. For some reason though, my car came with continental tires, not the Pirelli's. I think I might go to one track day with the conti's and replace them with the sport cups. Also, the OZ's look really nice.

#4 ·
Stock rims are fine on the track, and so are the OZ Ultraleggera HLTs. Basically the same. OZs are cheaper to replace if you bend one on an apex curb, and repainting them after scratches and chips from tracking is super cheap.

Progressing from street tires (PZeros, Contis) to cup tires (Michelin Cup 2s, Toyos, Michelin Cups, Trofeos) then to slicks (Hoosiers) is the safest way to go. This progression trains you to feel the limit so you can use it.

#5 ·
I'm running stock wheels with Toyo R888s at the track. Works great. If you want to go fast at the track, DO NOT use street tires. But if you don't go fast enough, do not track your car.:)

#6 · (Edited)
Number 1)
I am having 20inch Rohana RF2 for winter and summer.
For track days I am running Semi Pirelli TrofeoR on stock 19inch wheels but only because I get frequently a good but used set from a friend who is racing semi-professional on a Porsche 911GTS. Just to burn them....
I would get Cup2 if you want a dedicated set for the track, otherwise Michelin PSS should be your choice
I would skip slicks as force on suspension and chassis is too much and a little mistake costs a fortune in minimum replacing all the suspension parts.

For track use I would always get stock wheels:
1) can get a set or even single wheels used for cheap (especially the 18inch ones, for track perfect)
2) well tested through Audi
3) a lighter&durable rim for that price (especially used) is hard to get
4) perfect offsets and no rubbing issues for sure...

If you wanna safe money and are able to fit 18inch wheels (no ceramic brakes) then buy a set of stock 18inch as you have more choice of semi tyres and tyres are much cheaper in 18inch. thats what I would do if I wouldn't get a used set of 19" TrofeoR for 100bucks from my friend...

be happy you got the Conti stock tyres as they are better then the Pirellis. If you have nearly no profile on them then I would go to track day with them otherwise they are to good/expensive to get trashed on the track.

#7 ·
Yeah, i think sticking to the stock for track days is a good idea. I've never experienced Pirelli's or Conti's on fast cars before, but I did have MPSS on my previous car and those were really nice. it was a RWD car too, and the grip was really good. I think I might go with MPSS or the MSC2's. I'm thinking 245F and 305R. I will also be driving the R8 to the track, about 1.5 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.