Have run an X5 4.8 for 2 years. Would like one 7 seats so been driving a few. Still at loss to choose one:
1) BMW X5: 40d M sport drives very well. Seats in back plus space could be better
2) Audi Q7: ugly as hell, but drives really easy. Rear seats more spacious than X5
3) Merc GL: drives like a bus! All the space in the world. Looks/feels better from outside than inside.
4) Land Rover Disco 4: drives better than Merc GL but worse than X5 and Q7. Very practical, and feels good inside. Very worried about reliability. Dealers tell me Tata have improved it - but they will tell you anything. Still manufactured at same plant in UK - cannot see old habits changing
5) Hyundai Sante Fe: shocked me at how easy and practical it was. Half the price of above cars - nearly as good in many ways. Model changing soon
Tbh, the Range Rover feels the best inside but only 5 seats, has new model out soon, plus the same old reliability issues with Land Rover.
Any experiences, please share.
There is the question of the optimal numbers of cars in the household:
I have managed to reduce from 5 cars to 3 on drive now. Was getting ridiculous - could never remember what I left in which car. Imagine going to the tennis club and having to search for your racquet bag in 5 cars! 1 R8, 1 luxury sedan which probably will be exchanged for 4 seater convertible, leaving room for a 4x4 SUV for family. Ideally an R8 plus an SUV would work, except if I would need to take the SUV the Mrs could not take the family in an R8!
I am sure most of the members here have thought about similar issues.