Best SUV 4x4

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best SUV 4x4

Best SUV 4x4

Have run an X5 4.8 for 2 years. Would like one 7 seats so been driving a few. Still at loss to choose one:

1) BMW X5: 40d M sport drives very well. Seats in back plus space could be better
    2) Audi Q7: ugly as hell, but drives really easy. Rear seats more spacious than X5
    3) Merc GL: drives like a bus! All the space in the world. Looks/feels better from outside than inside.
    4) Land Rover Disco 4: drives better than Merc GL but worse than X5 and Q7. Very practical, and feels good inside. Very worried about reliability. Dealers tell me Tata have improved it - but they will tell you anything. Still manufactured at same plant in UK - cannot see old habits changing
    5) Hyundai Sante Fe: shocked me at how easy and practical it was. Half the price of above cars - nearly as good in many ways. Model changing soon

Tbh, the Range Rover feels the best inside but only 5 seats, has new model out soon, plus the same old reliability issues with Land Rover.

Any experiences, please share.

PS:

There is the question of the optimal numbers of cars in the household:

I have managed to reduce from 5 cars to 3 on drive now. Was getting ridiculous - could never remember what I left in which car. Imagine going to the tennis club and having to search for your racquet bag in 5 cars! 1 R8, 1 luxury sedan which probably will be exchanged for 4 seater convertible, leaving room for a 4x4 SUV for family. Ideally an R8 plus an SUV would work, except if I would need to take the SUV the Mrs could not take the family in an R8!

I am sure most of the members here have thought about similar issues.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Best SUV 4x4

My setup: R8 Coupe - M3 Convertible - X5 diesel - 335xDrive sedan (see signature below!!).

SUV-speaking:

I feel too young to drive the Merc and too bling-bling for my own tastes. BMW simple interior design does it for me. Audi won't sell me their white elephant, no way. Land Rover: not an option where I live, reliability-speaking. Hyundai... really? You must love cheap plastics...

Diesel is a must for me... simple choice it was for me: X5, no contest!

Past:
    2013 Estoril Blue BMW F30 335i xDrive M Sport Package
    2012 White BMW X5 35d Diesel
    2011 Suzuka Grey Audi R8 V10 coupe ***SOLD***
    2011 Red BMW M3 convertible
    2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
    2009 Black 997 911 turbo coupe
    2007 Black 997 Carrera S coupe

QR8

GL 450.....and no way it drives like a bus. I love mine and we have a 2013 on order.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Not an option for me, but how about the Infinity JX ??

Past:

i don't know if you have Acuras in the UK but I would look into one of those.

Regarding a perfect household fleet: mine is a mess:
    2012 R8 5.2
    2011 BMW X6 5.0
    2005 Nissan Titan Pick Up ( horse trailer towing duty/ mountain bike carrying, etc)
    1965 Cobra Replica ( soon to be sold )
    1968 Ford F100 Pick up truck ( wife loves old Pick ups)
    BMW F800GS motorcycle
    plus some other business pick up truck, UTV, and other junk.

I am going to do a major change in the fleet as soon as I can talk the wife into letting me.
    Fred
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

I second Acura MDX, know a few people with them and they are very happy with them. Could also check out Lexus GX460, I had a GX470 and really liked it. Here is my current winter play thing, Toyota FJ with TRD package

2015 Blu Caelum Huracan LP-610-4. VF HEX Tuned, Fabspeed Supersport Valved Exhaust.

Gone
    2012 Red R8 V10 6sp, VF-750 Supercharger, Tubi Rumore Exhaust
    Gone
    2009 R8 V8, 6SP Manual. Silver/Black,Stasis Supercharged,

LAT
    I got a Tour TDI for winter and it's great even in Canadian winters. The diesel is quiet and starts on really cold days with no plug in. FWIW it's a less expensive version of the Cayenne and good enough for winter. OH drives an MDX year round.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    Levino

2010 Audi R8 V10 6SPD Phantom Black, MTM tuned, Supersprint exhaust
    1997 C4 Cabriolet, Arctic Silver, Aerokit, RS Tuning cats, 292 PS
    1996 993TT Polar Silver, RS Tuning, 531 PS, 800 NM

2008 BMW M5 6SPD DD

Quote Originally Posted by FredBMOC View Post
    i don't know if you have Acuras in the UK but I would look into one of those.

Regarding a perfect household fleet: mine is a mess:
    2012 R8 5.2
    2011 BMW X6 5.0
    2005 Nissan Titan Pick Up ( horse trailer towing duty/ mountain bike carrying, etc)
    1965 Cobra Replica ( soon to be sold )
    1968 Ford F100 Pick up truck ( wife loves old Pick ups)
    BMW F800GS motorcycle
    plus some other business pick up truck, UTV, and other junk.

I am going to do a major change in the fleet as soon as I can talk the wife into letting me.
    Thanks - vow, I thought I had too many on the drive. Thanks advice to you - and others.

In the UK nobody drives petrol engined SUVs anymore. When I was in the US for holiday just 2 weeks ago, my cousin's household was running a Cayenne Turbo, a Range Rove Supercharged, a Merc GL 500, and a Land Rover Discovery 5.0 petrol (nobody in the UK has even heard of a 5.0 petrol Disco!). Americans love their SUVs and the roads are big enough, and the fuel cheap enough to accommodate this taste. So while I drove all these cars I realise their is big difference between getting a diesel version to big petrol engine.

The X5 is the safe choice as I know the car. But I am very tempted by the Land Rover Disco - never thought I would say that! Downside is school run for kids they are almost defacto uniforms for the mummies. The UK is Land Rover Disco crazy. If they all broke down en masse they would still love them.

Wish it was as easy a choice as getting the R8....

Quote Originally Posted by roentgen68 View Post
    My setup: R8 Coupe - M3 Convertible - X5 diesel - 335xDrive sedan (see signature below!!).

SUV-speaking:

I feel too young to drive the Merc and too bling-bling for my own tastes. BMW simple interior design does it for me. Audi won't sell me their white elephant, no way. Land Rover: not an option where I live, reliability-speaking. Hyundai... really? You must love cheap plastics...

Diesel is a must for me... simple choice it was for me: X5, no contest!
    Yes, for handling and interior I like the X5 the best. Problem is that when you want 2 extra seats in the back it is much smaller than the Land Rover Disco, Merc GL, Q7 or even the Hyundai Sante Fe.

Yes, for handling and interior I like the X5 the best. Problem is that when you want 2 extra seats in the back it is much smaller than the Land Rover Disco, Merc GL, Q7 or even the Hyundai Sante Fe.
    You're completely right on this one. Third row is ok for smaller kids, but as they grow up, problems occur.

If your kids are not that small, have you considered trading one or two of them for a spanking new MP4-12C convertible, especially if they're still on warranty ??

Past:

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread