The number 420

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The number 420

The number 420

How many of you know what the number 420 means? I had this number on my car while at Brainerd International Raceway in September. I was thinking it meant how many HP my car had (input from Desperado). There are other meanings.

I received so many thumbs up while driving up to the track I lost count. Much more than usual. Lots of smiles from the 18-39 year olds. I was thinking they just liked the car...much more. I had my friends at IMOLA Motorsports tell me they were going to put dreadlocks on my helmet and a decal of a plant on my rear windshield. Huh? People at the track kept coming by and saying they liked my number. Huh? I overheard two 20 something year olds talking. "I wish my grandpa was that cool." Huh?

Finally a former President of the Glacier Lakes Quattro Club came up to me and told how much he appreciated how bold I was using the number 420. Huh? That is the HP of my car I said. He laughed and said...No that is also the date celebrating... Huh? I am toooooooooooooooo old.
    '04 A8L and '09 R8 R-Tronic, Ice Silver, Limestone Grey, Carbon Side-blades, Engine and Interior, Premium package, B&O, Upgrade leather, Navigation Plus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Current:
    Ferrari 458 Italia
    BMC Air Filter / EVOMSiT Tune / Fabspeed Headers / Novitec Test Pipes & Exhaust

Past:
    2003 Porsche EVOMS GT750 / 2007 Lamborghini Gallardo / 2008 BMW M5 / 2008 Lamborghini Superleggera / Audi R8 V10

Re: The number 420

Haha I needed a good laugh...

I learn something every day!!

Yah, I am the guilty one. I put 420 on my car for the same reason at Laguna Seca a couple of years ago. Same results. Same puzzlement on my part. Same Aha! moment when the significance was finally explained to me. Apparently I was the only one in the paddock NOT clued in to what was going on.
    Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.
    When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. - Alain Prost

2012 R8 GT 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 4.2 6MT | 2008 TT 3.2 6ST | 2004 S4 Avant 4.2 6MT | 2001 S4 Competition 2.7TT 6MT

Once I learned the meaning of 420 I busted out laughing. I am from the hippy generation, but I did not participate in this activity. I may be the last person you would think of smoking cannabis. I am too straight laced and have no need for the weed.
    '04 A8L and '09 R8 R-Tronic, Ice Silver, Limestone Grey, Carbon Side-blades, Engine and Interior, Premium package, B&O, Upgrade leather, Navigation Plus

I only recently had this explained to me as well...I had no idea. I would be just as clueless.

2012 R8 GT #275/333 - Suzuka Gray/Black
    2014 RS7 - Suzuka Gray/Silver
    2013 RS5 - Suzuka Gray/Silver
    2000 TT NM #47/100
    1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Former: 03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet

Milford, Ohio, USA - Soon Scottsdale, AZ! WOO HOO!

I was rolling when mn and desperado were discussing this one. Gave us all a great laugh on that epic trip of a couple weeks ago.

If anyone on this board ever has a chance to meet mn and/or despy, please make it a point to make the effort - you'll never meet two more genuine, fantastic people. I'm proud to consider them friends.
    Yellow Dog Racing
    2011 Samoa Orange V8 R-tronic

Now I need to make permanent 420 numbers for my car. It would be the first time I was ever "cool".

Its all a matter of translation, of course. For the Chinese "4" is the unluckiest number, and combined with "2" sounds like "death". That could explain some of the surprised looks if you are out on a track, cheating it, as it were.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements