Maintenance costs ?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maintenance costs ?

Maintenance costs ?

Hi everyone,

I've got a little question.
    Here in Belgium I've seen a couple of very nice R8 V8's (pre-owned) pricetagged at around € 65.000
    For now I don't have that kind of money yet, I'm just working hard and saving as much as I can. Not for the R8 in particular, even though its my ultimate dream car, but I mean also for a house and such for later on (as I'm only 22 years old).

But just out of interest, I know theres a saying that goes: "Buying a car is easy, being able to maintain it is another story". So I was wondering, how much would an Audi R8 V8 cost to maintain it (per year) ?
    With maintaining I mean the services aswel as gas for the car etc.
    I know there will be a big difference in those costs (especially with the gas) depending on whether its a daily driver or a weekend car, but as this forum has a variety of R8-owners, I'm sure some of you could awnser for the daily driver estimate and some for the weekend-only car.
    And I also realize that insuring the car won't be cheap either, but as that can be completely different from one person to another, and from one country to another, we'll leave that out.

I hope its okay to ask a question like this, I'm not trying to be nosey or anything, I'm just trying to realistically picture how much it would cost to buy and maintain my dream car some day in my future!

Thanks in advance!

Olivier P.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Maintenance costs ?

In Canada, while parts are a bit pricey, the maintenance for me through 63,000km is fairly typical and much better than previous Porsches. Probably not more on maintenance than 1.5X Toyota. Fuel is entirely dependent on use however. Good luck with your savings, for which I recommend a house first :-)
    Doug Buchanan ... '08 4.2 R-Tronic with STaSIS S/C in Jet Blue; Oxy Silver sideblades; Limestone Grey interior
    Carbon credits ... via SMART four-two
    Previous machines ... a variety of Porsches (E, SC, 930, 993)

Quote Originally Posted by the_buch View Post
    In Canada, while parts are a bit pricey, the maintenance for me through 63,000km is fairly typical and much better than previous Porsches. Probably not more on maintenance than 1.5X Toyota. Fuel is entirely dependent on use however. Good luck with your savings, for which I recommend a house first :-)
    Thanks for your reply!
    Yeah I understand the fuel and such totally depends on how much you drive the car.
    And of course, my first priority is a house ! Although theres nothing wrong with having goals and dreams in life right ? And trying to get some information on how to afford or achieve those type of dreams .

Cars are great motivation tools mate! When the R8 came out I was 22 and set myself the goal of owning one by 25! Luckily I managed to achieve that! But definitely buy your house first as cars are massively depreciating assets as well as being awesome fun Best of luck with whatever path you choose to go down tho!

Regarding maintenance the R8 is bargain basement compared to other supercars which is why I keep coming back to them! Long service intervals, reasonable service costs of say $1K on average, standard tyre costs compared to any other car with large wheels, etc. If things go well I will be brave enough to take on Lamborghini maintenance costs one day!
    V10 - Silver / Black with full CF
    V8 - Orange - Gone
    M3 E92 - Gone

You can pre-pay for 4 years of service here in Canada which cost about $1100 I think? I'm not sure exactly what's covered but I think it will be cheaper than paying for the oil changes individually.

If you have a warranty then I guess you just have ~1200 over 4 years for oil changes etc + any replacement tires.

Hi, I'll give you my costs excluding fuel and road tax, as each country on tax will be different, £475 per year in the UK

4 Year old R8, new as at 09/2008,
    £1,500 3 Years Warranty, always a must if your unsure of cost of ownership. Expect to pay up to £5,000 for 3 years
    Warranty covered: £1,540 for power steering pump, £475 for one suspension arm.

Repairs not covered by warranty
    £272 Hand Brake Pads and Oil
    £200 Brake Fluid Change
    £20 Puncture Repair
    £163 Inspection Service
    £142 12 litres of Castrol Edge Pro Engine Oil
    £262 Oil Service excl Oil
    £75 New Windscreen Excess through Insurance
    £500 Contribution toward suspension arm change, Audi covered the other £1,575

So, total cost to me including warranty over 15 months £2,259, which is £151 per month, or £1,807 per year. €2,255 per year.

That doesn't include any tyres, not needed any yet, but they'll be £1,400 for Michelins. €1,750. This also doesn't include depreciation or financing.

Hope that helps

And, I agree, the house should come first

Andy
    Last edited by andyhofer; 11-12-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Wow these are some very helpful and insightful replies!
    Thanks everyone!

Hopefully someday in my future I can be part of R8Talk as an R8 Owner as well as an R8 Enthusiast instead of just being an R8 Enthusiast (..for now )! (After the house of course :P)

9. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements