Width of R8? A favour.

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Width of R8? A favour.

Width of R8? A favour.

Hi all

I am after a quick favour, if someone can help me out.

I know the width of the R8 (1904mm) but I am after the width including the wing mirrors, to see how tight a fit it will be in my drive.

So if someone could measure the width including wing mirrors (tape measure through open windows??) It would be very much appreciated.

(I would do it myself but do not have an R8 for sale local for me to look at and measure).

Thanks

Saj

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Width of R8? A favour.

2029mm I believe. As per attached, page 74

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/au...cGuides/r8.pdf

Cheers mate for that, will take a look.

Put it this way, and this surprised me, it's not as wide as:

2044mm VW Golf
    2092mm Ford Mondeo
    2040mm Audi A4

So, in general, it's quite thin. The thing to think about is, can I open the doors? They are big.

Cheers, that is interesting! Looks like I shall be ok, my drive is the factor with me as I cannot widen it due to my neighbours house - but my garage is fine as its at the rear of my house and more than big enough.

Thanks again for that download, will help me in finding my perfect R8 - seeing what the prices are of any options that I may want fitting retrospectively.

Saj

Dude ... get the automatic folding mirrors and you can tuck them in before pulling in ... best,
    Doug Buchanan ... '08 4.2 R-Tronic with STaSIS S/C in Jet Blue; Oxy Silver sideblades; Limestone Grey interior
    Carbon credits ... via SMART four-two
    Previous machines ... a variety of Porsches (E, SC, 930, 993)

It also helps to get the car reprogrammed to allow the fob to open and close the windows. You'll be surprised at how much easier it is to get into the car when it's parked in a tight spot if you could just open the windows before trying to get in.
    David

2011 R8 5.2 | ADV.1 | H&R | K&N | Tubi

Gone and missed...

2009 R8 4.2 | 2009 C63 AMG | 2006 S4 | 1994 NSX | 1992 NSX

This is an awesome idea! Should be able to do it with the VAG-COM software!

Quote Originally Posted by SebringSilver View Post
    It also helps to get the car reprogrammed to allow the fob to open and close the windows. You'll be surprised at how much easier it is to get into the car when it's parked in a tight spot if you could just open the windows before trying to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by the_buch View Post
    Dude ... get the automatic folding mirrors and you can tuck them in before pulling in ... best,
    bear in mind that unlike most cars, the mirrors only add 2.5" each side as most of the mirror width falls inside of the flared wings.

Put it this way, and this surprised me, it's not as wide as:

2044mm VW Golf
    2092mm Ford Mondeo
    2040mm Audi A4

So, in general, it's quite thin. The thing to think about is, can I open the doors? They are big.
    this thinking can be a little misleading without thinking about the short mirror extension. When you look at car width with mirrors, it doesn't give a feel for what it's like to actually drive as you only have to worry about the mirror tips with those other cars. On the road, it's the wheel-to-wheel/body width that makes a car feel wide/narrow.

width excluding mirrors:

r8 v10 - 1929
    r8 v8 - 1904
    a4 - 1826
    golf - 1786
    mondeo - 1886

certainly agree with this - I park mine in a very tight garage, and opening the drivers side window makes it much easier to get in and out. mine came default programmed so that just holding down the lock/unlock on the keyfob lowers/raised the windows.

also worth having some kind of soft "bumper" thing where the door tip could come into contact with walls or the like.
    Last edited by randombloke; 11-13-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    Current: SLK 55 AMG
    Previous: R8 V10 r-tronic: ice silver / carbon blades / grey alcantara (2011)
    R8 V8 r-tronic: mugello blue (2008) / Bmw M6 (SMG III) / Bmw e46 M3 (SMG II) / A5 3.0tdi

Quote Originally Posted by randombloke View Post
    bear in mind that unlike most cars, the mirrors only add 2.5" each side as most of the mirror width falls inside of the flared wings.

this thinking can be a little misleading without thinking about the short mirror extension. When you look at car width with mirrors, it doesn't give a feel for what it's like to actually drive as you only have to worry about the mirror tips with those other cars. On the road, it's the wheel-to-wheel/body width that makes a car feel wide/narrow.
    Really good point, never even thought of it like that when I was responding, but then he did ask mirror to mirror. I mentioned the above to a friend, and he said it must be wider, and yes, wheel to wheel, it is, a lot.

Well spotted.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements