Audi R8 Forums banner

Black or Red?

12K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  Drevil 
#1 ·
Have not had the opportunity to see a red R8 in person , ready to purchase something in the next 30 days if I can find the right car.

Any opinions on black vs red and the reactions to both?

#2 ·
I haven't seen a red R8 in person. My RS5 was red, and it looked awesome. Black is difficult to keep clean. (said Captain Obvious)

Good luck with your search!

#4 ·
I've got a red one so I might be a little biased, but I think red makes the lines and all of the exotic details on the car more visible and easier to appreciate. To me, black cars hide the lines and the details of the car until you get up much closer. I also think red is safer and more visible to other drivers than black.

Not sure that this applies to cars, but I had three buddies over the years that raced around town on all black motorcycles, with black helmets, and black leather jackets because they thought it looked cool, but all three of them got hit by cars (they survived) and the car drivers always said, "I didn't see them". On the other hand, me and a number of my other buddies who raced around on multi-colored red, white, blue, and green bikes did not get hit. So I've always wondered if driving around in an all black car/motorcycle makes you somewhat invisible to other drivers and more likely to be involved in an accident?!?

#7 ·
I wa close to buying a red v10 6mt. I just couldn't do it. I feet the car was too loud and attention seeking. The only opinion that really mattered was mine at the time and it should be the same for you.

I ended up with a matte Daytona v8 rtronic and love it.

#15 ·
My son and daughter wanted me to get the red because they said it was deadpool's car.

#16 ·
I had to admit it was hard to deny the resemblance.

#18 ·
Yeah I'd go with red too. Black looks great for the five minutes after it is detailed then quickly goes downhill until the next detail. And the swirls...I just shudder to see nice cars with swirls. I know they are there in the non black cars but every other color hides them better.

#20 ·
...another great reason for Xpel over the entire car - a rinse, a bit of detailing spray and poof - protected beauty in 15 min - every 3 months an easy resealing - and keep on driving ...

#23 ·
I guess I'll be the one to say I don't like it in red. I like other red cars, just not the R8. No idea why, but it just doesn't look good to me. That being said, it's not my car, buy what you like.

As far as resale, there's a reason there are less red ones for sale, there were less made. There were less made because they were not as popular as other colors. I think the market for used red ones will be smaller than the market for used black ones, but that only matters if you need to dump it quick.

#27 ·
Datsun, I agree regarding the used market. I have seen many color cycles in the market on different cars. The last few years, since maybe 2010 Black, Grey, silver and white have made a big comeback. For a while there blues, reds and green's were popular across the market.

I bought a 2012 991 911 in 2012. When I went to sell it I was told by 3 different sources that I'd get a 3-4K more if it was White, Grey or silver. None of the dealers, Porsche or otherwise was optimistic about the resale on a blue Porsche. I on the other hand loved the aqua blue color on the 991 911.

In the end though the dealers know the market much better than any individual. I think if someone has to have a red or blue R8 they will have choices because most folks buying wanted Black, Grey or white. Of course there's that Jet blue r8 that's been for sale in the LA market forever. It's truly fugly. That's an example of a very rare color....that nobody wants.

#28 ·
If you don't like attention. Don't get red.

#31 ·
Yes, I'm biased - but RED.

Over the years, I had seen R8s in various colors - blue, grey, black, white, etc. I had never seen a red one. When I was purchasing, I was leaning towards white (looks nice and clean, and nothing shows lines like white) but also considering red. My dealer thankfully called me in and let me see a customer's red car when it was in for service. I'll put it this way... it was a "heart thumping" response... immediate response was an elevated heart rate and feeling of WOW.

You honestly need to see one in person, as I can attest the full effect really doesn't come through in pictures. Depending upon the exposure/light, pictures can seem lighter or darker than the red really is... but in person, freshly washed, this car is a bold "race-car" red that is truly in your face in full sun-light. It's just something to behold. Most of the R8s I had seen to date (in person) struck me as beautiful exotics cars - you know immediately they're something special based on the shape, low stance, width, engine under glass, etc. But add a bright red paint to that, and everything is suddenly exaggerated. From the time we're little kids, we're conditioned to associate bright red with "fast" and "racing" - and it certainly has that effect here.

The red also shows the lines of the R8 well - although, as I said, I don't think anything shows as well as white, that truly allows for the best shadowing. While not as bad as black, it's a non-metallic paint, so it WILL swirl easily and show under direct sunlight. So, a PPF is advised with EITHER of these choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.