Most boring second ride? - Page 3

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most boring second ride?

Re: Most boring second ride?

I can't think of a more boring car than the Golf

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    Also want the Abarth for the small second parking spot in my garage. For now, girlfriend lives 2 km's away and drives a chipper little X1. Cost to me: $0.00. 0 to 60 time....who cares!!?? It's free! :-)
    Yes good choice ! ive owned a Abarth esseessee for 2 months now and its fun to drive, also a Q7 3.0TDI for the family trips

I have an Infiniti G37xS and I can't wait till my lease is over!!!

Frankly a golf would be more fun than dealing with the terrible design of many details of the car, details you don't notice until after you get it home. Next car will likely be a BMW 335xi picked up via European delivery.

That should be a little more fun

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Ibis White V10 Coupe
    2011 Infiniti G37X S

Quote Originally Posted by blackspyder View Post
    I can't think of a more boring car than the Golf
    Harsh, but true. The Golf is a company car, could have had much nicer cars but went for the one that would cost the least personal tax. As the car is fully expensed, I need a dull car so that I'm not overly tempted to drive my company car instead of the R8

I can drive as much as I like in the Golf and it doesn't cost a penny, fuel and car paid for by work. R8 cost a lot more than nothing to run.

That's an accountants mind for you.

The MMI is way better than the R8, full control of music and phone from steering wheel and screen.

Quote Originally Posted by andyhofer View Post
    Harsh, but true. The Golf is a company car, could have had much nicer cars but went for the one that would cost the least personal tax. As the car is fully expensed, I need a dull car so that I'm not overly tempted to drive my company car instead of the R8

I can drive as much as I like in the Golf and it doesn't cost a penny, fuel and car paid for by work. R8 cost a lot more than nothing to run.

That's an accountants mind for you.

The MMI is way better than the R8, full control of music and phone from steering wheel and screen.
    It's interesting how differently people view car ownership. While I'm not wealthy, I belong to a country club where there are some incredibly wealthy people. One guy is a billionarie and he is always running around in Ferraris and Maybacks---what you might expect. Another owns a bank. He drives a $30K Buick and is always lecturing people on not wasting money on depreciating assets like cars. But then he goes and spend $2M on a vacation home and $250,000 on another membership that he only uses a couple times a year. I would never spend that much on a vacation home or a golf membership I never really used. My third example is my best friend. He has made about $10M in the last 4 years. Drives a 7 year old BMW and is grinding over spending $100k on the new BMW 650i Gran. He might move back to a lesser model to save $20k

So, I dont count other people's money or judge them by the car they drive.
    Last edited by omeletpants; 11-27-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post
    So, I dont count other people's money or judge them by the car they drive.
    Wiser words have seldom been spoken. I often get people whizzing by me like I'm a moving chicane when I drive the Fiat and they're probably thinking, "d*mn, what an idiot, driving a Fiat". But in my garage, I have an amazing car that those same drivers would probably never think those same things about.

So while we might occasionally be judged by whether we're driving the fun car (R8) or the boring car (Fiat, in my case, but actually, I don't think it's that boring), we need to also refrain from judging other people by the car they're driving, because you never know what else they might have in their garage.
    Last edited by SebringSilver; 11-27-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    David

2011 R8 5.2 | ADV.1 | H&R | K&N | Tubi

Gone and missed...

2009 R8 4.2 | 2009 C63 AMG | 2006 S4 | 1994 NSX | 1992 NSX

Yeah, one the top executives at HP ran a 40 billion dollar division and had 40,000 people working for him. He drove a 1991 Ford truck. Then, I'm betting there are people that put every penny they have in the world into their car and have little else. I have a hard enough time worrying about me

Quote Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post
    Yeah, one the top executives at HP ran a 40 billion dollar division and had 40,000 people working for him. He drove a 1991 Ford truck. Then, I'm betting there are people that put every penny they have in the world into their car and have little else. I have a hard enough time worrying about me
    I'm probably one of those guys you'd probably say, "If your thinking can you afford it, you probably can't". I've always wanted a Supercar from a small child, like most young lads I guess. So after setting up an account when I was 22, I then started to save 200 a month. No matter what, kids, houses etc etc, I decided I'd keep saving and not get tempted into using it, until I got to the point 24 years later, now 46 when I could afford a 3 year old Audi R8.

You could argue that I've put all my savings into buying a second hand car, but the accountant in me wouldn't allow me to go into debt, that's why I saved so hard. As I said before, that same accountant in me says that every time I go out, I should use the Golf, it's free, tax is paid up front from my salary no matter what mileage I do, but my heart draws me to my passion, my beautiful R8.

People at work say, how did you afford that, I say, through hard work, patients, not spending money on satellite tv, 2 holidays a year etc etc.

You can't judge a persons wealth from their car, but you can judge their passion, for me anyway.

Whilst out today, I spotted a rare sight, another R8, and I thought wow, look at that, then it suddenly hit me, I've got one of those.

Good for you. I spent about $250,000 in my life on golfing and that's where I put some of my disposable income. So I never judge anyone on how they spend.

WHO WANTS TO DIE RICH?

Leave enough to your kids, spend a lot for them during the times you are around with them, but, PLEASE, don't die rich!

So enjoy you hard earned money, and everybody has its own way to do it...

Current:
    2014 Space Grey BMW X5 35i M Sport Line
    2013 Estoril Blue BMW F30 335i xDrive M Sport Package

Past:
    2012 White BMW X5 35d Diesel
    2011 Suzuka Grey Audi R8 V10 coupe ***SOLD***
    2011 Red BMW M3 convertible
    2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
    2009 Black 997 911 turbo coupe
    2007 Black 997 Carrera S coupe

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum