Audi R8 Forums banner

It's been a fun 8 years

5K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  jazzman 
#1 · (Edited)
Well guys, after 8 years and two months, 136,686 miles, three R8s, many tires, seven tracks, two crashes and hours upon hours of entertainment, I've come to the end of my R8 ownership.

Got the first one on June 3, 2008 from a dealership in Houston and it was an immediate love affair. I'd still be in the old gal if the tree hadn't jumped out in front of me.

Replace her with the 2009 Twin Turdbo. What a nightmare. Picked it up August 18, 2010 and ordered my beloved orange beastie on December 27th because the 2009 was such a pile o'crap. I still want the Twin Turdbo to go over a cliff whilst on fire. My god that car was a lemon (actually I think it was very upset with me for taking it from So-Cal to Ohio - I'd be tad miffed if I had to move to Ohio again too). But, it didn't taint me on the R8.

Picked up my 2011 on July 8, 2011 and she's gone today, August 27, 2017 with 69,546 miles and 1,884.1 hours of seat time (and still with the original clutch! HA!).

I've been coast to coast, across the country more than once, drove in the snow, rain, sun - the R8's been my daily driver and only car for the past 8 years. I have nothing but praise! (well... it always needed memory seats for the driver and cup holders that do just that).

I've met many great people, made a couple life long friends because of and have enjoyed sharing my R8 with just about everyone - can't count the number of photos of people I've taking sitting in it, people that I've given rides to, questions answered or the little kids that have left sticky finger prints on the steering wheel have been in it. To be fortunate enough to have enjoyed the ownership of these wonderful rides has been a blessing.

I will miss the R8.

But the RS7 that's replacing it should suffice!

My best to all - especially the old guys here. Davey Dee rules! Harrison is missed.

Get the oil to operating temp and let 'er rip.

Have a great one guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Say it ain't so, Richard! Oh well, show us pics of your new ride at least. How much did you get for your R8?

My father recently bought a 2nd home in Phoenix; I may look you up when I head out to visit this winter.

Always liked your pragmatic take on things; you'll be missed.

- Ray

#4 · (Edited)
Curious why your 2009 R8 was such a lemon? Interesting your 2008 R8 was so dramatically better.

Was it the twin turbo install that was giving most of the problems?

Any possibility you might get back into a Gen2 R8 down the road?

Would be great to see you back with your wealth of R8 knowledge.

Best of luck and enjoy your RS7 in good health KfabR8!

Btw, go back and and make that naughty tree into a table. ;)

#6 ·
Thanks guys. It's been a good time.
Curious why your 2009 R8 was such a lemon? Interesting your 2008 R8 was so dramatically better.
The 2009 was a lemon. Plain and simple. Bad car. The number of issues it had were incredible. Trans changed out at 9K (found this out after I purchased), dropped a valve spring, steering rack would lock up (this was exciting...), electrical issues, gremlins abounded. The number of things wrong were just incredible. It was a true P.O.S. and the two of us absolutely despised each other. I still would gladly drive it over a cliff and enjoy watching it. Sad, eh? :)

Was it the twin turbo install that was giving most of the problems?
No, it just added to the issue. The TT system was a hack - especially the tuning. Crappy system on a crappy car and well, like I said, over a cliff would have made me smile.

Any possibility you might get back into a Gen2 R8 down the road?
Nope. I don't care for the looks one bit. It's even more testosterone laden than the V10. Bulky square lines, screwed up dual blade. The V8 was THE car. No bulging panels, no chrome badges, just sleek and sexy as hell.

Would be great to see you back with your wealth of R8 knowledge.

Best of luck and enjoy your RS7 in good health KfabR8!

Btw, go back and and make that naughty tree into a table. ;)
Much appreciated. As stated, it's been a wonderful ride and I will miss it.

#8 · (Edited)
The new Beastie:

The rims are atrocious. I'm hoping that OZ makes an Ultraleggera, or something similar, that fits.

Gotta get my Blinder laser jammer and maybe another radar detecting system (it's actually been pretty useless since everyone uses laser anymore) installed.

#10 · (Edited)
You will be missed as an R8 friend, friend and track buddy. The times at Road America, Thunder hill, Sonoma, Laguna Seca, BIR and Mid-Ohio are among my fondest memories. The time Robyn and you visited and stayed with us was great. I know we will stay in touch.

#11 ·
Best of luck with the RS7. As others have said, your contribution to the forum here will certainly be missed - hopefully you'll still pop in from time to time.

I agree with Scott, though, and wouldn't be surprised to find you picking up an R8 again down the line (Gen-1 of course!). :)

#12 ·
Nice RS7. I'll look for you.

I'll be in the poor man's RS7 ..... a regular A7.

#13 ·
Best of Luck Kfab. The new ride looks awesome!

#16 ·
I have to say I'm really enjoying the new RS7.
WICKEDLY quick. Wow. Passing people on the highway is sort of like point and shoot and then managing the speed back down under 100 mph.

Two things that I am REALLY enjoying:
1) Memory seats! YES!!! One button for me, one for her. Finally!
2) Cup holders that work. WOO HOO!

The electronics of this car are incredible too - the adaptive cruise control is fantastic. It'll bring you to a complete stop in traffic AND resume forward momentum when the vehicle in front of the car starts to move. Cool, cool, cool.
The bluetooth integration is pretty sweet too - it actually works.

I miss my carbon brakes - and may have to look into a set from Europrice in a year or so, if I decide to throw this thing on the track.

#22 ·
Will be sad to see you go mate!! Enjoy the new whip!

You need downpipes and a remap.....750bhp on tap and that kills NA V10 R8's!

Done a few of those crazy motorway missiles now and I can see why you love it!

You know where I am if you need any help with her!! ;-)

Cheers Ricky

#18 ·
Roughly seven weeks of having the RS7 and we're already sneaking up on 3k miles. This thing is impressive!

Finally got to get it on some twisty roads today, following T-Bone up Mt. Lemmon near Tucson with the local Audi Chapter. Wow! I can't believe how hard this thing pulls out of the corners.

T-Bone tells me that we have access to a track here in Phoenix - I do believe I'll be taking him up on this.

I miss my R8, especially the ceramic brakes, but this beastie is a blast.

Oh, and just to rub it in: I now have cup holders that work well, visors that rotate the correct direction AND move to the sides and slide, two key memory that knows who's driving and MEMORY SEATS! Ha ha!

#21 ·
Oh, and just to rub it in: I now have cup holders that work well, visors that rotate the correct direction AND move to the sides and slide, two key memory that knows who's driving and MEMORY SEATS! Ha ha!
Ow! That really hurts!

But it's really freakin funny.

#19 ·
Rs7 are super nice. I considered one. My friend has one with a tune on it and it blows off everything else on the road

#20 ·
Love the color on the RS7, time for APR stage 3!

#23 ·
Thanks Ricky.
I'll keep hanging around - kind of hard to leave a place I've been coming to for years.

I've already been hit up about chipping it by two of my Audi Tech friends (one works for APR) but will keep it stock. It's an Audi Certified used car so I don't want to screw around with that until it's out of coverage.

Besides, it's quick enough as is.

I'm presently working on an off road car that will suffice for the adrenaline surge when needed - 220 hp in a vehicle that's 1500-1800 lbs with 20" of wheel travel should be the ticket!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.