Audi R8 Forums banner

R8 Spyder Extended Warranty

8K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Yangpei 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 R8 Spyder under contract, but as most of you already know, extended warranties are no longer being offered on the on Sypder (at least through Audi/Fidelity). However, AA Auto Protection told me they are offering extended warranties, and I was provided a quote this morning: 84 months/75K miles for $3,175. The policy information follows: http://www.aaautowarranty.com/prime-direct-royal-exclusionary, http://www.aaautowarranty.com/contracts/prime-direct-royal-exclusionary.pdf

Has anyone done business with AA Auto Protection and/or Prime Auto Care?

I have had bad experiences with extended warranty companies in the past going bankrupt, or not covering items as promised.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
Stay away from non oem backed policies...
Oh really? Why? Fidelity underwrites the Audi Pure Protection Plan, and they have horrible reviews. Check 'em out online. The ONLY reason to get it is in hopes of having the dealer on your site with repairs. But even that is touch-n-go.

AA Auto Protection is actually pretty good. They cover stuff without a hassle in my experience. If you can specifically get them to sell you the Prime Direct Royal Exclusionary Plan (that specific plan) shown here: https://www.aaautowarranty.com/prime-direct-royal-exclusionary/, BUY IT. That plan is EXCELLENT
- Has wiggle room for modifications
- Has an hourly rate supplement to cover labor rates up to $150 (that's where most warranty companies get you; they authorize some crazy cheap labor rate like $80/hr, but Audi charges $125/hr, and you're stuck for the difference).
- Covers Wear & Tear + Seals & Gaskets.

Plan can be downloaded on the above page (or directly here): https://www.aaautowarranty.com/contracts/prime-direct-royal-exclusionary.pdf

Again, make sure it's that specific plan. How do you know? When they send you the email, make sure it doesn't say something else like "Royal Administration Services Ultimate." You want the "Prime Direct Royal Exclusionary Plan." If they sell it to you, SIGN on the dotted line...AFTER you talk them down in price a bit, and THEN ask them for a paid-in-full discount. You should be able to walk away with that plan for about $2800 ;)

#4 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts regarding AA Auto Protection. The policy they quoted was in fact the "Prime Direct Royal Exclusionary Plan," and the price that I mentioned already included the paid-in-full discount. Also, I just confirmed this morning the Prime Direct plan does NOT cover shocks or struts, which are seemingly the most common issues from what I have read on this forum. Have you experienced these issues with your GT Spyder?

Unfortunately, Fidelity dropped the Audi Pure Protection Plan for R8 Spyders in June 2016, and nobody is able to tell me why. However, several Audi dealers confirmed that Fidelity will no longer be underwriting the Audi warranty come January 1, 2017, as Audi will be bringing the warranty in-house. At that time, rumor has it that Audi will then offer extended warranties on R8 Spyders, however that is not guaranteed. So, I either have to take my chances with the Prime Direct Royal Exclusionary Plan, or wait until January to see if I can get an Audi warranty. Fortunately, the R8 Spyder I'm buying is covered until its original warranty until May 2018.

#6 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts regarding AA Auto Protection. The policy they quoted was in fact the "Prime Direct Royal Exclusionary Plan," and the price that I mentioned already included the paid-in-full discount. Also, I just confirmed this morning the Prime Direct plan does NOT cover shocks or struts, which are seemingly the most common issues from what I have read on this forum. Have you experienced these issues with your GT Spyder?
No, because they couldn't sell me that plan in FL. And I didn't like the contract of the Royal Administration Services Ultimate plan that they were able to sell in FL. So I passed on them. Went with a diff company. But I've had AA Auto Protection for 2 of my cars in the past. No issues. If its covered in the contract, they pay for it. If it isn't, it isn't.

Best way to find out if something is or isn't covered (if the language is vague) is to call their Claims division and ask them. They're the ones making the decisions. For example, they clarified the vague language in the contract for me regarding the convertible top (apparently the motor is covered but not the transmission, or visa versa; I can't remember). Cuz many companies won't cover convertible tops at all.

Unfortunately, Fidelity dropped the Audi Pure Protection Plan for R8 Spyders in June 2016, and nobody is able to tell me why. However, several Audi dealers confirmed that Fidelity will no longer be underwriting the Audi warranty come January 1, 2017, as Audi will be bringing the warranty in-house. At that time, rumor has it that Audi will then offer extended warranties on R8 Spyders, however that is not guaranteed. So, I either have to take my chances with the Prime Direct Royal Exclusionary Plan, or wait until January to see if I can get an Audi warranty. Fortunately, the R8 Spyder I'm buying is covered until its original warranty until May 2018.
Fidelity dropped both GTs and Spyders as of Jan 1, 2016. I dunno if you're saying they are actually cancelling existing coverage since June 2016?? That would be news to me. But they stopped writing policies for the GT and/or Spyders from Jan 1st. No warnings or announcements.

What I would do if I were you is get the AA policy now, while its available (and again, confirm that's the contract you receive). You have 30 days to cancel with a full refund, and if you find something better in the meantime, you can cancel and go with that. If not, keep the plan until Jan 1, 2017, and see what Audi is gonna come up with. If its better, cancel AA, and you'll get a prorated refund. If not, keep what you have.

Just my $0.02.

#7 ·
Sorry for the confusion... they are not cancellation existing coverage since June 2016, but rather not writing new policies since that date.

Another member of this forum "DrPaul" posted on 6/13/16 that he was able to purchase an extended warranty on his 2011 R8 Spyder, and I verified this through the dealer he purchased this through in San Antonio Texas. Albert in the finance department confirmed the Fidelity/Auto Protection Coverage warranties were sold up until June 2016, so anyone who was able to purchase a warranty on a Spyder up until that date lucked out. I'm going to take my chances and wait to see if Audi offers extended warranties on R8 Spyders after January 1, 2017, especially since the 2014 R8 Spyder that I'm purchasing still has almost 2 years left on its warranty.

I have heard that the AA Policy is actually pretty good and they won't jerk you around on claims, however their warranty does not cover struts/shocks, which are apparently problematic. Regardless, they seemingly offer the next best coverage to the Fidelity/OEM warranty.

#8 · (Edited)
Another member of this forum "DrPaul" posted on 6/13/16 that he was able to purchase an extended warranty on his 2011 R8 Spyder, and I verified this through the dealer he purchased this through in San Antonio Texas. Albert in the finance department confirmed the Fidelity/Auto Protection Coverage warranties were sold up until June 2016, so anyone who was able to purchase a warranty on a Spyder up until that date lucked out. I'm going to take my chances and wait to see if Audi offers extended warranties on R8 Spyders after January 1, 2017, especially since the 2014 R8 Spyder that I'm purchasing still has almost 2 years left on its warranty.
It's possible; I specifically was told by several Audi & Fidelity reps that the contracts weren't available for sale as of 1/1/16. But the internal memo I got directly from Fidelity is marked 7/16...

Text Font Line Document

#9 ·
I just spoke with an Audi dealer and they are now able to sell extended warranties on R8 Spyders again (as of Jan 2017). The new policy directly through Audi (Platinum Plan) is even better than the prior Fidelity policy, as several items are now included (e.g. magnetic shocks, struts, etc..)

Here's what I was quoted (on a 2014 R8 Spyder V10 with 15K miles)
5 yr, 60K miles, $100 deductible: $4,975
10 yr, 100K miles, $100 deductible $7,795

#12 ·
I just spoke with an Audi dealer and they are now able to sell extended warranties on R8 Spyders again (as of Jan 2017). The new policy directly through Audi (Platinum Plan) is even better than the prior Fidelity policy, as several items are now included (e.g. magnetic shocks, struts, etc..) [/b[

Here's what I was quoted (on a 2014 R8 Spyder V10 with 15K miles)
5 yr, 60K miles, $100 deductible: $4,975
10 yr, 100K miles, $100 deductible $7,795

Ok, so the plan that the Audi dealer sold to me in 2015 was called " Fidelity, Audi Pure Protection"... and now they want to go in house, and call it what??? Just "Audi Pure Protection"?

Makes me wonder why VAG would do this, given the DieselGate has cost them billions... can they really handle doing this on their own??

#11 ·
It's my understanding that all Audi Dealers are able to sell the plan, as the Audi Extended Warranties are "in-house" now and not underwritten by a 3rd party. I contacted 2 dealerships to confirm this (in Illinois & North Carolina). I don't have a copy of the policy to post here, but the fine print was more comprehensive than the prior extended warranty previously available through the dealers.

#14 ·
I have a 2014 V10 that comes out of warranty in July. They quoted me today through audi.....

3 yr up to 70k miles $4104
4yr to 80k miles $5144
6yr up to 100K $6410

It can be canceled and refunded if sold or traded. They are supposed to email it to me for review. If you want it PM me. If its not long I will post it.

#17 ·
As a follow-up, I contacted Mark Davis at Audi Pembroke. The extended warranty they would offer for my Spyder is not "in-house Audi" although it does seem very comprehensive - at the Platinum level, it is an exclusionary policy with a short list of wearables. The underwriter is called "The Warranty Group".

The question remains: Is there yet a dealer offering the Audi-branded extended warranty on Spyders? I've sent emails out to Neil Brenner who previously had done deals for forum members - their team is not yet seeing a Spyder option.

#20 ·
Called numerous dealerships coast to coast over the past week including any listed on this forum. I believe that there are 2 issues going on:
1. The audi portal has some serious glitches when it comes to qualifying a vehicle for warranty
2. YMMV regarding a particular year / mileage combination especially on Spyders

Basically all dealerships had problems with extracting an extended warranty option for my vehicle. Only one dealership figured out that it was due to the portal rejecting the low mileage - which then required some finagling to get it to take. They got my business.

Drum roll...Audi Pure Protection Platinum 60 month / 60K / $250 deductible starting today for $4250 on my 2011 Spyder with 5250 miles.
Plenty of others got better deals, but I couldn't wait around for the other dealerships to get it together.

PM me if you need the referral.

#21 ·
Interesting. So a spyder cannot get a platinum extended warranty is actually a myth...even though that's a rather high rate but at least they cover it. Very nice

#22 · (Edited)
Just to add to the info I bought a 72/75,000 Prime Direct Royal Exclusionary Policy AAAuto Protection $100 Ded for my 2011 Spyder 14,000 miles in it on 11/16.
Cost after haggling and "discount" $3200.00
At that time I did a tremendous amount of research on all policies available (Audi NOT available)...AAAuto Protection was the BEST RATED out there. The reviews were good and the owners experiences enlightening.
My research included BBB through out the country (national data base).
I guess if Audi would have written one I would have done it there, I had no choice on that at the time.

#24 · (Edited)
I recently purchased the Audi Pure Protection platinum 4 year 50k with $250 deductible for $6,750 for a 2011 V10 Spyder with 11k miles.
Yes, it was expensive, but I paid $4k for a similar plan through a 3rd party on my 2012 Porsche Cayenne turbo, so the price seemed on par with the price of the vehicle. That and I can't fathom paying $50,000 out of pocket for a new engine.

#25 ·
Phimosis, I don't think the question is whether or not a warranty is a good idea. But it IS about how much is fair cost. You should NOT be paying over $3500 for decent coverage (Platinum or better) for 4-6 years. Anything more than that and you're overpaying by a LOT. The policies run roughly the same cost across the board, give or take a bit. But the markups on them vary WIDELY, in the *thousands*. So don't be taken advantage of just because you recognize the value of a warranty by overpaying. Check the FAQ Section for the threads I've posted in regarding the various warranty company options and their cost. And if you really prefer Audi Pure Protection, it also mentions 2-3 Finance Managers who sell them at cost + a negligible markup, which puts you at probably less than half of what you just paid.

Friendly advice; go through those threads, get some quotes, and if you can get the same coverage for a lot less, buy it, and then cancel your old contract, which typically has a full refund period (usually 30 days) and this is prorated thereafter (still warrants cancellation and refund IMO).

#28 ·
Newbie question. Why are R8 Spyders more difficult to get extended warranty coverage for? Is the convertible top mechanism prone to breakdown / failure? Other than the top, I don't see why a convertible would be less reliable (more expensive to insure / warranty) than a coupe.

#29 ·
I bought my 2011 Spyder Sept of 16. When I looked up the history at the servicing Audi dealership it showed 2 services done on the top. Looked like one was an original factory thing other a problem?
Hope this helps.

#30 ·
I looked at the Audi Pure Protection Platinum plan my Audi dealer offered. Under exclusions, it lists "convertible top framework" and "vinyl and convertible tops" as not being covered. The exclusions do not mention shocks or struts. This plan is $6800 for 7 years / 70,000 miles / $250 deductible.

I also looked at a less-expensive Century Warranty Platinum plan offered by another Audi dealership. Under exclusions, it lists "vinyl and convertible tops" as well as "shock absorbers". This plan is $5010 for 7 years / 70,000 miles / $250 deductible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.