Disable Hill Hold Assist? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disable Hill Hold Assist?

Re: Disable Hill Hold Assist?

It is the dumbest thing ever. After 45 years of driving manuals why this impediment?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Newspyderv10man View Post
    It is the dumbest thing ever. After 45 years of driving manuals why this impediment?
    It actually is very useful, when implemented properly. I have it on my 2011 BMW 335ix and my 2012 VW Golf R and the systems on those cars are seamless and one does not notice the intervention at all.

Experiment with the system in the R8 - it is quite odd. When stopped on your favorite incline, mash the brake down as hard as you can and then you will see really how hard it is to get the car to move. Then try just using just enough brake pressure to keep the car from rolling backwards and then you will notice that the system can operate as expected - without that somewhat violent release. Then you will simply learn to use very light brake pressure when at stop lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Quote Originally Posted by rmicroys View Post
    It actually is very useful, when implemented properly. I have it on my 2011 BMW 335ix and my 2012 VW Golf R and the systems on those cars are seamless and one does not notice the intervention at all.

Experiment with the system in the R8 - it is quite odd. When stopped on your favorite incline, mash the brake down as hard as you can and then you will see really how hard it is to get the car to move. Then try just using just enough brake pressure to keep the car from rolling backwards and then you will notice that the system can operate as expected - without that somewhat violent release. Then you will simply learn to use very light brake pressure when at stop lights.

Great info thanks! I always wondered why sometimes it acted perfect and other times it took off with a jerk

Then try just using just enough brake pressure to keep the car from rolling backwards and then you will notice that the system can operate as expected - without that somewhat violent release. Then you will simply learn to use very light brake pressure when at stop lights.
    This is really useful information - Thanks!!
    2011 Audi R8 V10 MT; Sepang Blue with matching blade and engine vents, matt wrap; Stasis SuperCharger #12; Stasis brake rotors
    2009 Porsche Cayman S MT (gone)
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    2004 Aston Martin Vanquish SDP Works Service MT (gone)
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8 MT (gone)

Yeah I've noticed that only holding the brake as much as necessary helps - but I can still never figure out the timing. It always seems to wait way too long to release.

I hate it, hate it, hate it. Maybe on an rtronic it's not as annoying. On a MT it sucks.

--
    2012 R8 Ice Silver Spyder. V10, MT.
    1970 Dodge Super Bee. 496 ci big block, 727 Torqueflight

The trick with the hill assist on the R8 is to only apply enough brake pressure to hold the car on the slope. Don't mash your brake down and then it won't hold the car so hard.

The hill assist feature does not use the emergency brake it uses the normal brakes and just prevents the back flow of pressure through the ABS system. If you are looking to deactivate it, you need to go in to your brake control module.

I seem to be in the minority, but I find it very useful. On steeper inclines, I used to have to use my emergency brake with my other manual. You don't need to wait for it to release before you start forward. It just holds you in place so that you don't roll back, and there is plenty of time to engage the clutch to get going.

Regarding the use of the regular braking, I thought the hill assist brake was that little secondary brake in the rears?
    2009 Silver/Black V10 MT; De-Chromed; Carbon Fiber Exterior Package, Lighted CF Sills, CF Sideblades, CF Engine Trim, CF Steering Wheel, CF Mirrors, CF Door Handles and CF Interior Inlays; Enhanced Leather; Alcantara Headliner; Black Optic Grille; Meisterschaft GT Racing Titanium Exhaust; APR ECU Remap; Sprintbooster; H&R Lowered; Clear bra; and HRE P43s

Regarding the use of the regular braking, I thought the hill assist brake was that little secondary brake in the rears?
    Nan! Handbrake...

Current:
    2014 Space Grey BMW X5 35i M Sport Line
    2013 Estoril Blue BMW F30 335i xDrive M Sport Package

Past:
    2012 White BMW X5 35d Diesel
    2011 Suzuka Grey Audi R8 V10 coupe ***SOLD***
    2011 Red BMW M3 convertible
    2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
    2009 Black 997 911 turbo coupe
    2007 Black 997 Carrera S coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CALBenzo View Post

Hill assist functions on modern cars use the abs system to control it. Not the emergency brake.

So I tried rmicroys' suggestion and it really works! No pause while you wait for the brakes to release or sudden acceleration if you take off when it's engaged and it then releases.

So thanks again!
    2011 Audi R8 V10 MT; Sepang Blue with matching blade and engine vents, matt wrap; Stasis SuperCharger #12; Stasis brake rotors
    2009 Porsche Cayman S MT (gone)
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    2004 Aston Martin Vanquish SDP Works Service MT (gone)
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8 MT (gone)

My pleasure.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements