R8 gt

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R8 gt

R8 gt

I'm considering getting an r8 and have been going back and forth between a pre-owned R8 GT (under 1,000 miles) or a new 2014 V10. While there is a lot of helpful feedback and info on the site regarding the v8 and v10's, i can't find much on the GT (the limited nature of it likely the problem). I am just curious of any thoughts or things to consider on the car. It would be far from a daily driver (live in NYC and have an e63 amg for more day to day activities) but i would want to be able to drive it on occasion out of the city or to DC (visit family friends). Based on what i have read, the V10 would have no issue. Is the GT reliable and comfortable enough? or is it really a track car? Hoping to do a test drive next weekend but hard to answer these questions from a 5 minute drive.

On price, it seems i might be able to get the GT down to $170k level (should i try lower?) but have yet to seriously negotiate.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: R8 gt

GT is the same engine as used in the V10 with a different engine map and the car was put on a crash diet. (70kgs or so)
    You get some coilovers rather than MR, so the sport button does nothing. So comfort is based on how you set the coilovers up. (by hand). Steering and ESP also had a tweak for a more track like feel.

BIG ISSUE is the Rtronic.

I have over 10K miles on my GT.
    I love it.
    I drive it to work.
    I drive it to the track.
    I drive it on the track and I am no slouch.
    I take my wife out for fine dining in her ****tail dress and she loves riding in it.
    The R tronic works great if you drive it like the manual transmission that it is and lift before full throttle shifts (pretend dead pedal is the clutch)
    It handles better than the stock V10.
    It is faster than the stock V10.
    170K is a good price (especially if it has ceramic brakes)
    I have had ZERO problems with the car.
    Fly down to Orlando and I'll give you a ride at Sebring.
    Wei-Shen Chin
    407-832-0176
    www.chinmotorsports.com
    550hp track prepped NSX that can turn a 2:11 at Sebring

Hi Wei-Shen,

One of these days I will come to see you at Sebring! Would like to take my R8 on the track!

Hope all is well.

Don

Aesthetically for me the GT wins hand down over the facelift.

The cosmetic tweaks along with the engineering tweaks are a plus including the uniqueness of the model.

I suggest you take a Stronic R8 Plus for a drive if you can... as that will give more clarity in your choice.

[B]2011 R8 V10 COUPE | PHANTOM BLACK PEARL | A.W.E. SWITCHABLE VALVE EXHAUST |H&R SPRINGS | K&N AIR FILTERS | SPRINTBOOSTER |6 SPEED MANUAL[/B]

PREVIOUS LOVES

R8 2010 V10 SPYDER
    R8 2008 V8 COUPE
    2010 Nissan R35 Mod GTR

Hi Don!
    Sebring March 23-24 (the week after the 12 hour after all that expensive race rubber has been laid down!)
    Be there. If you're serious about tracking your car, I can probably find an extra instructor on Sunday.

Love my GT....went through your same process. After seeing the 2014 in person i really prefer the GT for the exact same money. After driving the car Im fine with the R tronic. I have S tronic in my RS5 and it is absolutely brilliant but I also dont feel the need to be part of the first run of it in a 560hp car and the R tronic gets the R8 going fast just fine. I would rather have a rare car too. In 4 months I will be in Orlando with my R8 GT permanently. Looking forward to some Sebring outings. 170 is a great number for the car. 175 is lowest paid in the last few months and that car did not have ceramics.

2012 R8 GT #275/333 - Suzuka Gray/Black
    2014 RS7 - Suzuka Gray/Silver
    2013 RS5 - Suzuka Gray/Silver
    2000 TT NM #47/100
    1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Former: 03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by nsxray View Post
    Hi Don!
    Sebring March 23-24 (the week after the 12 hour after all that expensive race rubber has been laid down!)
    Be there. If you're serious about tracking your car, I can probably find an extra instructor on Sunday.

You have mail!

I own both a standard coupe (manual V8) and a GT coupe (R-Tronic V10).

First, I agree that 170 can be a good price for a low mileage GT, but it depends on how it is equipped. There was over a USD$40,000 difference in MSRP on the USA GT from the base model to a fully-optioned car (for example, nav, carbon trim, stereo, ceramics, leather, exclusive paint, etc).

You have to be clear on what you want the car to be for you. There is definitely a difference between the standard coupe (with the fabulous magnetic ride and plenty of driver convenience features) and the GT (with coil-over suspension [damping is fixed, ride height is manual adjustment only] and only a subset of convenience features).

If you are not going to track the car I believe the standard coupe is the better choice. After all, even the "standard" V10 is no slouch in the performance department!
    Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.
    When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. - Alain Prost

2012 R8 GT 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 4.2 6MT | 2008 TT 3.2 6ST | 2004 S4 Avant 4.2 6MT | 2001 S4 Competition 2.7TT 6MT

And what a beautiful problem to have ... don't see that you can fail with either decision. Emotion rather than logic makes the final call.

Quote Originally Posted by Reez View Post
    I'm considering getting an r8 and have been going back and forth between a pre-owned R8 GT (under 1,000 miles) or a new 2014 V10. While there is a lot of helpful feedback and info on the site regarding the v8 and v10's, i can't find much on the GT (the limited nature of it likely the problem). I am just curious of any thoughts or things to consider on the car. It would be far from a daily driver (live in NYC and have an e63 amg for more day to day activities) but i would want to be able to drive it on occasion out of the city or to DC (visit family friends). Based on what i have read, the V10 would have no issue. Is the GT reliable and comfortable enough? or is it really a track car? Hoping to do a test drive next weekend but hard to answer these questions from a 5 minute drive.

On price, it seems i might be able to get the GT down to $170k level (should i try lower?) but have yet to seriously negotiate.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements