Questions about buying / selling high mile R8 - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about buying / selling high mile R8

Re: Questions about buying / selling high mile R8

Quote Originally Posted by Trev450 View Post
    Good advice and I'm sure the OP would be grateful was he not from New York.
    Good point! A warning to anyone reading in the UK in that case
    Last edited by bs0u0118; 01-16-2017 at 02:43 AM.
    Current:
    Audi R8 V8 | R-tronic (TCU tune) | Ice Silver | Gloss black blades | Luxor Beige interior | Carbon fibre interior & engine bay | Magnetic Ride | B&O sound

Previous:
    Porsche Carrera S, 997, Gen 2
    Porsche Cayman S, 987, Gen 1
    BMW Z4M Coupe
    Audi TT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply.

The one I'm looking at is $59k USD for 70k miles located near Portland Oregon:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=163080792

The dealer seems new and doesn't have many reviews other then on CarGurus. But there's a different dealer (through Google search) at the same address they list so I'm hesitant to proceed. I'm hoping it's just a new dealer that bought an old dealership.

The new dealer does seem to have a license from the Department of Transportation in Oregon, so that's a plus.

I might try and fly out to check it out sometime. Hopefully, I'll be driving back

I too have heard many stories about Motorhub. Apparently they bought a disused multi-storey car park and literally filled it with all sorts. Think they had about 5 R8's at last count. All been up for sale for ages.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Just Google "Keighley trade centre"

Unsure this matters much but I look at the details and the photo shows the wrong date no matter which side of the pond you're on. Does look to be the leather package though based on close up dash photos. That's a bonus.

No reason to believe the R8 wouldn't go to 200k or 300k miles like nearly any other Audi could with proper maintenance. So at 70k miles, it's still a baby.

We tend to think that supercars are fragile machines that will fall apart if we put too many miles on them - and maybe that was true back in the day, largely with the Italians. But the great thing about the R8 is that it's a German supercar, built by a company whose vehicles will easily do several hundred thousand miles. My wife's Q5 has nearly 90k on it now... I told her we won't be replacing it until at least 125k... still drives pretty much like new.

I'd just get a good PPI (like you would on any used exotic), make sure you're getting a good price (looks like they're listing it very aggressively, in line with higher mileage), and ensure the physical condition is good (paint, leather, etc). But overall, there's no reason to be concerned about whether the car can go much, much further. It's an Audi.

Now, about selling it later? That's another story. It'll always sell to someone - but an outlying example (in this case, high mileage) is going to have a much smaller pool of buyers, making pricing much less predictable. That said - you always have the option of KEEPING it... and it's a car well worth keeping!
    2015 Audi R8 V10 S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    No reason to believe the R8 wouldn't go to 200k or 300k miles like nearly any other Audi could with proper maintenance. So at 70k miles, it's still a baby.

We tend to think that supercars are fragile machines that will fall apart if we put too many miles on them - and maybe that was true back in the day, largely with the Italians. But the great thing about the R8 is that it's a German supercar, built by a company whose vehicles will easily do several hundred thousand miles. My wife's Q5 has nearly 90k on it now... I told her we won't be replacing it until at least 125k... still drives pretty much like new.

I'd just get a good PPI (like you would on any used exotic), make sure you're getting a good price (looks like they're listing it very aggressively, in line with higher mileage), and ensure the physical condition is good (paint, leather, etc). But overall, there's no reason to be concerned about whether the car can go much, much further. It's an Audi.

Now, about selling it later? That's another story. It'll always sell to someone - but an outlying example (in this case, high mileage) is going to have a much smaller pool of buyers, making pricing much less predictable. That said - you always have the option of KEEPING it... and it's a car well worth keeping!
    Keeping it is definitely an option !

I figure if I do sell it, it'll probably be in line with some of the high mileage Nissan GT-Rs I've seen ($40,000 - 130k miles or so)

Same here, not afraid my v8 gen1 will live beyond 150k. The RS4 motor is built to survive and the mods done to fit the R8 helps it more than hurts it. Maintenance is key, but be aware some suspension components of the Gen1 car were upgraded with V10 parts which are expensive.

The high-mileage is a concern, but prices are kind of plateauing around the mid-50s for the over 70k mark cars so we may not see prices down in the $40k range.

If you do end-up buying the car from an unknown dealer be sure to have it thoroughly checked out by a Master Audi-R8Tech and purchase the best warranty money can buy. Also inspect the body for paint and wreck damage.
    2k8 R8, 4.2, 6speed, silver, Sirius Radio, Stasis catback, K&N filter.
    2k10 Mini Cooper S, Midnight Blue, Eibach Pro Kit, StopTech brakes, K&N air intake, LED lights, Alta boost tube.
    2k9 Lexus RX350, Liquid Platinum, XM Radio, Hid Fogs, and LED DRL.
    2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum, XM Radio, Invidia Cat-back system, F-Sport Intake, Apexi throttle controller (sold)
    2k8 Lexus IS-F, Mercury Metallic, LED DRL, JoeZ intake w/high-flow filter, XM-Radio (SOLD)

My 14 V10 with 11500 miles is apparently "high mileage" I hate this about the exotic car world
    2014 Audi R8 V10
    1929 Ford Model A
    2014 BMW 535 M-Sport
    2016 GMC Sierra Denali 1500
    2010 GMC Sierra 1500

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12