Audi R8 Forums banner

UK Rear Fog Light Issue

12K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  ChrisPackit 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

First post from me here, and hoping to get some advice from more knowledgeable owners please.

I have a 2008 UK R8, V8.

On two previous occasions when I've got my annual MOT certificate, the rear fog light has blown during the test.
This has only happened at one particular MOT testing station. The tester at this centre turns ALL lights on for the test.....and during this test the fog light has blown on both occasions.
I then get the warning icon on the dash, to say that the globe has blown.
A new globe fixes the issue, and fog light works.......but I don't use it with all other lights at same time.

Aside from the above, I've never had an issue with the fog light in normal day-to-day usage.

Any ideas why the globe may be blowing during MOT test at this one station?

I am due to get the globe fixed again now, and would ideally sort the issue for good if possible!

Thanks in advance!

Grant.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same age car and exactly the same happened to me so failed the last 2 MoTs for this fault. Last year they fiddled about and it started working again so it passed on the retest but they didnt fix it properly. The next time I used the fog light the error came up and Audi then diagnosed it as a faulty dashboard switch which turned out to be incorrect. This years MoT they replaced the fog light unit for free given all the previous failed attempts, so far so good.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply and info.

Although I don't use the light much, nor drive the car much for that matter........I don't seem to have any issues with it throughout the year, just it's blown on two occasions when having the MOT test.
I wondered if it had to do with having additional lights (?) on during the test also.

It's interesting to hear that someone else has exactly the same, or at least very similar issue.
Still not sure what the solution is though! :)

The independent guy that I go to (Unit 20) suggested replacing the bulb holder also, which I am going to have done this time around.

If anyone else has any input it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
I had this on my previous R8.

Knocking the rear valance around the bulb would make it work if you did that while it was supposed to be on and you got the 'bulb gone' message on the dash.

The bulb is in a place where muck and dirt collect and the contacts get dirty and corroded. Ideally you take the bulb out and clean the connections.

It's a pain to get to but you can remove one of the rubber air ducts just in front of it and put your hand in. Ideally it's bumper off / valance.

"Hey Guys,

Does anyone know the part no for the bulb holder?

My car is reporting a blown bulb, but upon replacing the bulb the light still isn't igniting"

Sorry, I missed reading your post. Have you checked the old bulb with a multimeter? Have you checked the connections have got 12V going to the bulb?

#7 ·
Cheers for your reply

Yeah I've had the bulb out and replaced it with another new bulb, both bulbs look fine visually, so this is leading me to believe it's an issue with the connector, I'll try getting it out and maybe go over the connections with some wd40 and see if that helps,

Not really wanting to take the back bumper off it looks like a big job :(

#8 ·
Just for closure

I removed the bulb holder and tested the bulb with a spare battery, the bulb was fine but when I hooked it up via the holder it didn't ignite,

Visually there was a little corrosion on one of the connectors in the bulb holder, but it didn't even look bad, but once that was scraped off the bulb started working again in the holder

Once connected back to the car the warning went away! Woo

Just incase anyone has a similar issue

#10 ·
The handbook should tell you the location of the fuses, but would think they are behind the panel under the glovebox.

#12 · (Edited)
Just had the exact same issue.

Car perfectly fine, no warnings, blew/broke during the MOT tested, failed, now not working.

Car has had two MOT’s, both at Audi dealers, one test fine, this one it blew.

#13 ·
Just had the exact same issue.

Car perfectly fine, no warnings, blew/broke during the MOT tested, failed, now working fine.

Car has had two MOT’s, both at Audi dealers, one test fine, this one it blew.
Reece, did you ever find a replacement LED type lamp as a replacement? or didn't you go that route?

#18 ·
I was quoted £168 to have the issue resolved and they told me it's a bumper off job and a couple of hours work. However they were fairly vague in that so we'll see.

Regretfully my MOT is due this weekend so my options are limited!

#19 ·
Refreshingly expensive! To say the least, a lot cheaper here, but even so if the job doesn't involve lifting the car I get my Audi mechanic to do the job in my garage....approx. £120/day.

#20 ·
Yes that's true. We'll see what the real costs is - I understand there's no MOT recharge fee!

However in 2 years of ownership and 6,000 miles I've had a cam sensor replaced, new battery and this, totalling £600 which I'm quote content with!

#21 ·
Reece, before having your wallet emptied try thumping the fog light with the flat of your hand a few times. This may be sufficient to get it to work if the fault is a poor connection, and you can then get it rectified at your leisure and for a lot less outlay.

#23 ·
Thanks Trev, I will try that.

I'm still struggling to understand why there was no dashboard fog light warning error before the MOT yet amazingly after a few hours with Audi, it appeared! Answers on a postcard.....!!

#29 ·
Possibly but I won't know as Audi have fixed my bulb and she's passed the MOT.

No feedback on why they think my bulb miraculously failed whilst it was in their care....

#35 ·
Guys

i had exactly the same issue as described above come MoT time. As soon as they tested it, it reported a blown bulb. So I investigated and it turns out it was a 10 minute fix so it might help future owners. Just remove the left duct under back bumoer with 6 torx screws. Put your hand inside the bumper and twist out the bulb holder. Unclip the short bulb holder loom. Now my bulb hadn’t actually gone and was in tact. So take a sharp tool like a pointy small screwdriver and scrape the surface of the bottom and side connectors. I then cleaned with electrical contact spray but Im not 100% sure this is necessary. Reconnect the bulb holder loom with a new bulb in and turn the ignition on. Then select the fog light and see if it works, which mine did. Then a couple more turns of the key and it recognises that there isnt a fault and no more annoying message. Reassemble in reverse order

Hope this helps someone

Chris

Reactions: stug360
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.