Frame damage after accident. Keep vs. trade

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame damage after accident. Keep vs. trade

Frame damage after accident. Keep vs. trade

I have a 2012 Audi R8 V10 coupe with only 3000 miles on it. While driving home in Houston with my wife a kid ran a red light and I was forced to swerve to avoid him. I drove the car at about 45 mph over cement curbs. My car has frame damage in the front and rear but apparently no frame damage to the main cage. This is in addition to all the suspension damage all the way around the car. Cosmetically there is only front and rear bumper damage and some of the panels in the back to not fit properly.

My initial gut reaction is to trade the car in once it is repaired and buy a new car Because my insurance company is going to fix the car and not total it.

I would like the opinion of some of the forum members on whether you would keep the car and drive it or get a new car. Of course the other big Problem is the diminished value that this car will suffer from having this accident. I can't find anyone who even wants the car Or that will put a value on it after such damage even once repaired properly. The car of course is being repaired in Austin Texas, the only authorized Audi repair center in Texas.

I am going to receive some diminished value compensation as well as loss of use. So these dollars could be used towards the purchase of another 2012 or 2014 model. Or I could just keep the car and drive it and keep the diminished value money to cover my losses once I do sell the car.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Frame damage after accident. Keep vs. trade

Fortunately you were all ok. That's the most important thing. If it's going to bother you, and lessen your driving enjoyment after it is repaired, trade it in. I know that's what I would do.

Is the diminished value compensation plus the cost of repair anywhere near the current market value? If it is, it might be possible to work with your insurance carrier to total the car. I was able to do this with my daughter's relatively new car after a major accident.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by sundowner; 03-31-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    2014 458 Spider
    2012 V10 Spyder R-tronic ~ Ibis White ~ Black Enhanced Leather with Lunar Silver Stitching

Depends on how long you are planning on keeping the car. If you are like me, I keep my cars and drive them so as long as the repair is completely to OEM specs with new OEM parts, then I would keep the car and enjoy since the diminished value reimbursement will be a greater fraction of the car in the future (Older car with high mileage). If on the other hand, you don't drive and turn over your cars frequently, then I would definitely get it fixed and order a 2014 model.
    2011 Audi Ibis White / Black R8 V10 - Larini Exhaust
    2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S
    2005 Noble M400 "Hooverized"
    1998 NSX - T (Driving Ambition / Lovefab Turbo)

2013 Land Rover Evoque Prestige
    2009 Audi Q7 4.2
    2001 Audi Allroad (Vast Special - 350 hp)

I have been through this scenario already. I believe you've received some excellent advice already from sundowner and jorligan. ^^^

With front and rear structural damage and new suspension needed on all four corners I would suggest you work on the insurer to have the car declared a total loss. Maybe get a lawyer to write them a letter. You will be time, frustration, and dollars ahead in the long run.

If getting the car totaled is not possible, here is a little more background which may help with your decision. I visited my local Audi-authorized repair shop a few times while my car was there, and saw the process they go through on the repair of similar run-over-curb damage. The car I saw had one damaged corner (Right Front Shock tower) and I was told it was a $65K usd repair. The repair process is exhaustive and involves almost complete mechanical dis-assembly of the car. The good news is that once the car is repaired it will be structurally as good as new. The possible gotcha is the chance that some little thing doesn't get reassembled correctly the first time; but other than the trouble you might have to go through, Audi will make it right.

Here are some pics of R8s at the doctor's office. The red structures with the blue towers are the Celette frame benches. Only Audi aluminum-authorized shops can obtain the kit with the towers for the R8.

This is the shock-tower car mounted on the frame bench. The engine, suspension and interior are completely removed, just to repair the right front shock tower. The car looked like it had been stolen and stripped! They had to show me where the damage was, it was not even immediately obvious. To repair the damaged shock tower they were replacing the entire A-pillar.
    Last edited by desperado; 03-31-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.
    When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. - Alain Prost

2012 R8 GT 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 4.2 6MT | 2008 TT 3.2 6ST | 2004 S4 Avant 4.2 6MT | 2001 S4 Competition 2.7TT 6MT

I personally can't drive the car after such an accident, i will always feel that the car is not right. Any noise i hear i will start being paranoid and i will probably start imagining things as well.
    Best of luck and i'm glad that you guys are okay after such an accident.

Porsche 997.2 Turbo - White / Red
    Audi R8 4.2 - Silver / Red Recaros
    Audi R8 4.2 - White / Blk (Sold)
    BMW E60 M5 - Grey / Red
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk
    Noble M400 - Blk / Blk Suede

Exclamation Re: Frame damage after accident. Keep vs. trade

Did you keep the car? If not how much value did it lose? I appreciate all the thoughts. Even if the car was repaired perfectly I'm concerned about what the diminished value is estimated at vs. what the car is really worth with that history when I go to sell it later. Because I don't know anyone who could afford that car that woud buy one with that history.

looks like it will be repaired properly so if you decide to keep it, i see no reason why you won't be enjoying the car.

Houston doesn't have an audi repair shop? Are you taking it to North Austin or the South shop? What about San Antonio?

1st off ..... happy that no one was injured. Curious if an Audi dealership would take your car in trade. I would think that the dealerships only take in the best cars with no history so that they can be CPOed. Regardless .... need to get the car repaired properly and then .... do some research. Talk to the dealerships. Never know what might show up. Good Luck.
    2010 R8 V10 6MT Coupe ....Santorin Blue Pearl, Carbon Fiber Blades, Extended Leather, Alcantara Headliner, Polished Alloys, Protective Wrap Everywhere, K40 radar.

im surprised they didnt total

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements