2012 Audi R8 V10 Battery Replacement - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Audi R8 V10 Battery Replacement

Re: 2012 Audi R8 V10 Battery Replacement

excellent write-up, I'm thinking I'll need to replace my battery within the year, even if you don't do it yourself, it's good to know what the shop has to do to R & R, plus if one does get the shop to do the replacement for the big bucks, they better put it all back together in the same way they it showed up.
    2017 Huracan Spyder 580-2 RWD
    2014 Audi R8 V10 Spyder Ibis white
    2015 Mercedes Benz ML-350

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks to jwt73 for this useful post. I had cause to change my battery yesterday and with a little assistance, was able to do so successfully following the above guidelines.

The wiper arms took some shifting but after a good deal of wiggling they came free. There was a little corrosion on the splines which wouldn't have helped, so a smear of Copperslip was applied before refitting.

For UK owners, the price for a 110 ah battery can range from anything between £95 to £220 so make sure you shop around.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades.
    Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

Well done Trev. Where did you source your battery, and how long did the job take?
    2008 Phantom black manual R8

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Hi Trev

Good to know.

Just a quick question what was your old battery was it an AGM, Gel or other. Also do you happen to have a picture of the top of your old one.

Regards
    2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus. Ibis White S Tronic, Carbon Sigma Engine Bay Trim, Carbon Side Fibre Blades, Illuminated Door Sill's, Carbon Sigma Door Mirrors, 19" '5-arm double-spoke Y' Design Alloy Wheels In High-Gloss Black, Ceramic Brakes,

Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
    Well done Trev. Where did you source your battery, and how long did the job take?
    I got the battery from my local motor factors (LDS). The job took about an hour from start to finish.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 66cobra View Post
    Hi Trev

Good to know.

Just a quick question what was your old battery was it an AGM, Gel or other. Also do you happen to have a picture of the top of your old one.

Regards
    It was an AGM. Don't have a picture of it sorry and I've disposed of it now. What did you want to check?

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Trev450 View Post
    It was an AGM. Don't have a picture of it sorry and I've disposed of it now. What did you want to check?
    Hi Trev

Just trying to check part code from 12 , 13 & 14. I have contacted Audi customer services to see if the can tell me from my Vin and Reg what type of battery is in my car. It's impossible to see the part number without pulling the protective battery cover off and possibly destroying it.
    Audi's reply was to take it into my local dealer and get them to check, well I know how that will end up.
    All to check which mode the Ctek should be on. been in normal mode since I have owned the car. I have also been told by my sales rep in the past that it was a Gel battery which I was not convinced.!

Regards
    2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus. Ibis White S Tronic, Carbon Sigma Engine Bay Trim, Carbon Side Fibre Blades, Illuminated Door Sill's, Carbon Sigma Door Mirrors, 19" '5-arm double-spoke Y' Design Alloy Wheels In High-Gloss Black, Ceramic Brakes,

Quote Originally Posted by 66cobra View Post
    Hi Trev

Just trying to check part code from 12 , 13 & 14. I have contacted Audi customer services to see if the can tell me from my Vin and Reg what type of battery is in my car. It's impossible to see the part number without pulling the protective battery cover off and possibly destroying it.
    Audi's reply was to take it into my local dealer and get them to check, well I know how that will end up.
    All to check which mode the Ctek should be on. been in normal mode since I have owned the car. I have also been told by my sales rep in the past that it was a Gel battery which I was not convinced.!

Regards
    I see your problem. Maybe someone else on here can assist. That said, if the CTEK has been keeping the battery topped-up ok, it must be fine.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jwt73 View Post
    Hey there,
    Wanted to share a quick post about batteries.....first of all Desparado has really helped people out like me. This is really best/safest as a two person job.
    I just want to add a few things......about battery replacement. (all screws are 1/4 turn screws, that work amazing.
    1. You can replace the stock battery with another H6 (43 lbs) or H9 (63 lbs) battery...can be bought at autozone/advance/Interstate etc as they are all likely made in the same factory but I can't verify that.
    2. You do not need a battery minder/charger/keeper while you disconnect the batter for changeout, unless you have push button ignition. Car starts fine and all indicator lights go out after running it for a bit.
    3. I would stick with the H9 as I put the H6 in and it is smaller and I suspect has less cranking power (but no issues in first 24 hrs.)
    4. Removal of the wiper arm is pretty easy even with your hands and no puller, as I did not use a puller. I just folded the wiper arm upright and using both hands rocked it a bit in each direction and voila it came right off.
    5. I suggest removing the FRONT trim piece (where the latch mechanism is) first (using the torx socket); this is somewhat tricky to get back in place at the end, because it has to fit under the front valence and sit in the side trim pieces. Then I would remove the sides pieces (helps if you have a person holding hood upright after hood shocks disconnected).
    6. Then I would Remove the back trim piece (around the window) and it just fits at the lower part of the window. I would remove the mat at bottom of trunk/and jack/tire sealant etc as it makes the trunk lighter as you will remove it STRAIGHT UP.
    7. Lastly I would undo the electrical connection for the cig lighter and then remove the torx screws that hold the manual release for the trunk, but I would not unhook anything until you pull directly up on the trunk a bit, and work the manual release through it's opening (as you want to leave it in the car) I undid the electrical connection for this, though I am not sure I had to.

Once trunk is out

Easy to remove the one bolt/bracket that holds the 63 lb battery in place. Then disconnect the terminals and the battery vent (vents gases only).

Put new battery in and then put everything back in place in reverse order.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Jonathan
    All this to change a battery. Whomever engineered that should get the ax at audi

Quote Originally Posted by viperz06 View Post
    All this to change a battery. Whomever engineered that should get the ax at audi
    Hardly. Most of those instructions are comments. If you break it down to the basics it's just a few lines. There are plenty of stupid design features out there but not many are on Audis. Have you tried changing the headlight bulbs on a Renault!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12