2012 Audi R8 V10 Battery Replacement

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Audi R8 V10 Battery Replacement

2012 Audi R8 V10 Battery Replacement

Hey there,
    Wanted to share a quick post about batteries.....first of all Desparado has really helped people out like me. This is really best/safest as a two person job.
    I just want to add a few things......about battery replacement. (all screws are 1/4 turn screws, that work amazing.
    1. You can replace the stock battery with another H6 (43 lbs) or H9 (63 lbs) battery...can be bought at autozone/advance/Interstate etc as they are all likely made in the same factory but I can't verify that.
    2. You do not need a battery minder/charger/keeper while you disconnect the batter for changeout, unless you have push button ignition. Car starts fine and all indicator lights go out after running it for a bit.
    3. I would stick with the H9 as I put the H6 in and it is smaller and I suspect has less cranking power (but no issues in first 24 hrs.)
    4. Removal of the wiper arm is pretty easy even with your hands and no puller, as I did not use a puller. I just folded the wiper arm upright and using both hands rocked it a bit in each direction and voila it came right off.
    5. I suggest removing the FRONT trim piece (where the latch mechanism is) first (using the torx socket); this is somewhat tricky to get back in place at the end, because it has to fit under the front valence and sit in the side trim pieces. Then I would remove the sides pieces (helps if you have a person holding hood upright after hood shocks disconnected).
    6. Then I would Remove the back trim piece (around the window) and it just fits at the lower part of the window. I would remove the mat at bottom of trunk/and jack/tire sealant etc as it makes the trunk lighter as you will remove it STRAIGHT UP.
    7. Lastly I would undo the electrical connection for the cig lighter and then remove the torx screws that hold the manual release for the trunk, but I would not unhook anything until you pull directly up on the trunk a bit, and work the manual release through it's opening (as you want to leave it in the car) I undid the electrical connection for this, though I am not sure I had to.

Once trunk is out

Easy to remove the one bolt/bracket that holds the 63 lb battery in place. Then disconnect the terminals and the battery vent (vents gases only).

Put new battery in and then put everything back in place in reverse order.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Jonathan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

A very helpful guide. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Re: 2012 Audi R8 V10 Battery Replacement

Thanks for the write up. Given the dealer quote of $650 I may take the time and do this myself.

Ed
    Hidden Content

12 R8 V10 Manual Coupe - Daytona GP, Blk Napa, CF Blades, Carbon in Lays, White Faced Gauges, Perf Wheel, Titanium Wheel Pkg
    16 TTS
    15 Mini Cooper S

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I just replaced the H6 battery with an H9 and the car seems to have better cranking power. I am glad I did, as it also allowed me to get more competent getting stuff out of the way to change the battery. It is definitely a two person job, as this makes it much easier. If anyone is remotely handy, it can be done with pretty much ZERO skill. I highly recommend doing it, as paying 600 at the dealer is insane, but to each is own. The hardest part if getting the front piece of trim back on and under the front lip of the grille.
    Everyone who owns this car should try to do this (if the need arises) as it is easy on a scale of 1-10 it is a 2.
    Jonathan

That sounds pretty easy! You say it's a 2 person job, because of the heavy battery to lift it out? I think I could just prop the hood open with something. I am experiencing long cranks to get going, and in the cold it often is even longer. I would assume it's the battery at this point and would love to tackle it myself (with help of a friend possibly). Thoughts?
    Current: 09' R8 CF/Daytona 4.2 V8
    ~Avior resonated exhaust & black tips~LEDs~10mm MTM spacers~OEM euro mirrors~
    ~CQuartz Finest~Tints~Black rings~3 pedals~No questions asked~

Past: 08' Daytona/Ti RS4 (dearly missed)

Very useful writeup! Mine still seems to be working fine, but the battery will be five years old late this year!

2012 Audi R8 V10| 6MT| Suzuka Grey| Red stitching| CF sideblades, mirrors, interior| Enhanced leather| Illuminated sills| Sport steering wheel| White Instrument Cluster| Dallas Performance Stage 1.5 Twin Turbo| 817whp pump| 950whp 109 octane| GMG springs| Klassen M52R| Toyo R888R| GT Tails| GT wing| CF rear diffuser| Black Optic Grille| Satin black badges
    2015 BMW X5 35d|Mineral White| Mocha
    2017 BMW M3 ZCP| Mineral Grey
    Previous toys: w205 C63S AMG| e82 1M| Several 997's and M3's

Thanks for the summary and confidence to hopefully pull this off in the future!
    '12 V10 6MT Ibis White/Black, CF blades, mirrors, interior, window trim, rear vents, Fabspeed non-valved, illuminated sills, Niche 20s

Awesome write-up, I did it myself this weekend with some help from a buddy, it definitely helps to have an extra set of hands.

Ended up with a Duralast gold from Autozone for 175$. She seems to crank over MUCH quicker now, let's hope it lasts.

What is the price of the battery?

I grabbed an Autozone H9 variant (~70lbs, 950 cold amps) for like ~175$ + $18 core, which I got back after exchanging the old.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast