BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera $259.99

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera $259.99

BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera $259.99

Guys,

Just came across a sale on Massdrop for the BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera for $259.99.

This is the lowest price for this fantastic cam at the moment. Grab one while the group buy is on. Six more days!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvu...02125832014217

Last edited by HowieR8; 05-18-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V8 - Satin Pearl White - GT Wing/Canards - Custom Tcu Tune - SprintBooster - Carbonio CF Air Intake - Milltek Exhaust - Clearplex - Hawk Performance Ceramic - Airplay AV - Michelin PSS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera $259.99

Linky no worky... at least not for me. Does it come with front and back cameras?

Nevermind, I see it now. I had to sign up. Very tempting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Any reviews on this dash cam?

I've added a video review in the 1st post.

More video reviews here. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lackVue+DR650S

Quote Originally Posted by astroboynam View Post
    Any reviews on this dash cam?
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V8 - Satin Pearl White - GT Wing/Canards - Custom Tcu Tune - SprintBooster - Carbonio CF Air Intake - Milltek Exhaust - Clearplex - Hawk Performance Ceramic - Airplay AV - Michelin PSS.

A couple of observations with this camera system and work around. The camera is powered by the car cig port, can be hard wired using the car battery or an external UPS battery.

After my recent kerfuffle with my car battery going flat and the myriads of fault codes triggered, I would not recommend hard wiring to the car battery even with the voltage cutoff protection of their smart chargers.

The cig port is the safest option but does cut off power when the ignition is off. If you want continuous power to the cam for 24/7 recording, then you need an external UPS battery.

There are a couple of options but these external battery packs can cost almost as much as the camera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CELLINK-B-Ba...4AAOSw44BYkq0J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackvue-Pow...wAAOSwhvFZFHx0

Unfortunately, this camera system is designed with proprietary connectors so the manufacturer seems to be forcing the use of their expensive quick charging UPS battery and limiting the use of regular USB power banks.

A work around is to get a USB to cig port adapter and then you can use any capacity power bank on the market. These are what I ordered.

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32804889068

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32570382085

The BlackVue B-112 Battery Pack has 3000 mAh and powers the cam up to 12 hours so my China brand 26,000 mAh usb battery pack should power the cam up to 4 days of continuous recording.

This USB battery also claims to quick charge to full in 3 hours so time will tell how well this setup works.

I'm just too tight wad to spend a $150-250 for a lower capacity battery when the 26,000 mAh battery cost $67 bucks shipped and can jump start a car as well. Lol
    Hidden Content

Almost bought this the other day, thanks for sharing. Probably going to pick one up now!

Good idea. Mine arrived today and I paid $370 before I found this sale.

BlackVue DR650S.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Almost bought this the other day, thanks for sharing. Probably going to pick one up now!
    Last edited by HowieR8; 05-19-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    Hidden Content

Howie, that's the normal "real world" price. You didn't exactly overpay; Massdrop is an exception to the rule when it comes to selling a ton of a single product at a deep discount...

Oh and the Blackview is definitely the way to go. You can also combine multiple cameras to cover front outward viewing, interior viewing, rear viewing/backup camera, and even a front lip camera if you're so inclined. https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/...-channel-setup

As for the additional accessories, check this comparison out: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/...s-battery-pack

Best of both worlds would be using the Cellink B for primary power (basically an extended battery for the camera, which is rechargeable). And then when that's fully discharged, it reverts to running off of the car battery. At which point, if you're running the Power Magic Pro, it'll cut power once voltage to your car's battery starts to run low... But you'll have to run a Google search on how to integrate the two, cuz they're typically a "this product or that product" typa install. Only 1-2 ppl have installed both.
    2012 R8 GT Spyder #90/333

Thanks for the info FD. I understand mine was bought at market price and delivery was quick so I'm not returning it. I just wanted you guys to buy it at a deep discount that wasn't available when I ordered mine.

As for the Cellink Battery B extended batteries, I feel they are a bit overpriced at $220 for their capacity even with their quick charging tech and pass through charging functions.

That's why I went with a china brand usb power bank for a quarter of the price but 4 times the capacity for 4 days of continuous recording. The Cellink Battery B only records up to 23 hours with a 1ch cam only.

The only hurdle there was the BlackVue camera charges through the cig port so I had to buy some usb to cig port adapter to make it work. The china brand usb power bank charges to full in 3 hours for 4 times the capacity so that seem to charge faster than the speed of the Cellink Battery B extended batteries at 1 hour to full with just 25% of the capacity.

I won't be hardwiring the cam to use the car battery when the ignition is off even with the voltage cut off function of the Power Magic Pro module. The R8 sensors around the car are so sensitive, any voltage drop might trigger a transmission malfunction fault and immobilize the car.

Heading out now to get the BlackVue cam installed today. Will post some video samples in the next few days when I get a chance to do some spirited drives up some mountain pass. Cheers.
    Last edited by HowieR8; 05-20-2017 at 01:13 AM.
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast