Audi R8 Forums banner

The looks and stares....

748K views 2K replies 507 participants last post by  Tupper 
#1 ·
Everyone on this forum knows the reactions an R8 elicits. Ive had my car about 2 months and have driven it a dozen times or so. When driving through a small town, all eyes on the sidewalk are transfixed my way with mouths agape and fingers pointing. In parking lots, the questions, the camera's, the wide eyed gazes. Kids in SUV's climbing over backseats to look at the car behind them, open windows with fists pumping out... the whole nine yeards. You really do feel like a rock and roll star. Given the rarity of the car, those reactions are unlikely to wane.

Perhaps this is a stupid question but... are these reactions beginning to, in some way, take away from the experience? The joy of driving the car is undeniable but I find myself not wanting to drive it to certain places and in certain situations because I find the reactions to be, at times, unnerving. Sometimes, its a bit uncomfortable. People have actually pulled into my office parking lot, parked their car and gotten out to circle the R8. Another guy stopped his car as he finished a left turn while I was at the light.... put his car in park, rolled down his window and started asking questions while others honked. Many of you have or had other exotics and have become accustomed to similar reactions but for me, its a somewhat new experience.

Any comments?

See less See more
#39 ·
There are some cars we have had that people will actually change lanes for you to get out of the way! Not with the R8, but with the Ferrari, with a past Viper a past Ford Gt and a past Shellby Cobra. Other than that, the stares, picture taking and thumbs up are basically the same:D I think some people don't even know what the R8 is...they just know it is different looking.:cool:

#40 ·
Sorry to say this guys but this thread makes me thinks R8 owners are really spoiled. On top of driving a R8 (1 of the nicest and rarest car), owners talk/complain about the looks and stares. I mean come on!!!

I own and drive my R8 every single day; I don't own another car and yes everybody looks, take pics and stare, so the f***k what, enjoy it!

#43 ·
Can’t speak for others on here, I will be 50 in a less than 9 months. I am not rich, I save and spend it on cars and not vacation, fine dinning, etc. Do I drive around like a snob? Not even close. But one guy did told me the R8 shave 10 yrs off me ; >

#49 ·
I asked how old you are bc most R8 owners (mid aged to old) make a big deal about people looking at them while driving.

I guess it's part of the mid-age crisis and I'll know in 25 years.

This post has been deleted
#52 ·
I started this thread and we're getting off message a bit. No one is spoiled, we're sharing our experiences in a respectful, sometimes hurmorous way. Sometimes, things get written and their meanings get misconstrued and taken in a disrespectful tone. We are from all corners of the globe, all age groups and all socio-economic backgrounds.

I love the R8... everything about it. This forum, for me anyway, makes ownership of the car a more enjoyable and satisyfying endeavor. Ive met and interacted with people on 4 continents, learned a great deal, and truly enjoy sharing a dialogue with people who I would otherwise never have an opportunity or reason to interact with. Im no AOL dork but it has become one of my "favorite places".

Lets keep the spirit positive, take everything with a grain of salt, and continue our useful dialogue.

Reactions: badintel
#54 ·
This is a good topic as the "looks and stares" come with and is part of owning the car. Anybody who is getting one should expect and prepare for how to handle it.

Personally it really bothered me for the first month or two of ownership. Now I don't mind it. If I have time, I let people take pictures, sit in the car, and answer questions. Only thing that still bothers me are the cars and pickups that pull up to your quarter panel on the interstate and start driving all over their lane with the steering wheel in one hand and camera in the other.

#61 ·
I haven't seen another R8 on the road in 9 months. In So. Cal. that's a pretty big statement. I can't get over the looks, stares, cell phone photos, waves, shouts, etc. It's a very cool and I am very clear it ain't me they're looking at!
But it sure is fun...

#62 ·
A race car for the street...Every kids dream. How many kids probably say to themselves-Would'nt it be nice to own one of those someday! My R 8 has brought a little happiness to this new age. Expect even MORE attention after Transformers Two comes out !!

#63 ·
R8's are simply a unique vehicle. It automatically engraved itself as a classic, timeless piece of artistic machinery.

I dont own an R8, but someday i will. Ever since I was a kid in high school, I always wanted a E39 M5. Finally I have one and quite enjoying it. And my next step is hopefully an R8 ;)

Its interesting to hear how you owners of R8's seem to feel weird about the experience of owning R8 as others are staring etc, but the truth is, the R8 is really that special. Its not just another car.

You can park it next to a Lambo 2x more expensive, and the R8 will stand out. You can park it next any Ferrari and I'm sure you'll get more complements from the R8.

Just pat yourselfs on the back for picking the R8. Its not a snobby car like other vehicles. Its classy and tasteful. Just like any other Audi, even the lowly A3's and A4's :)

But i hope you all look down upon us lowly vehicle owners with equal respect that we look up upon your R8.

#65 ·
Hey Bugsy! I would'nt look down on you for driving a different car than the R 8 !! But if I was rolling in my Bully Boy Hummer Toy I would have no choice!!Some people do have good luck to own an R 8. If it were'nt for BAD luck, I would'nt have much luck at all !! Good luck to you !!:D

#67 ·
Could sell the R 8 and get 70 Ta Tas!! How much money could be made using those Ta Tas for something.:D

#71 ·
I can dig it!!! I have seen one other R8 from the next town over.A white one with silver blades and still stock as a rock.but I was in the truck following him.he seemed a bit nervous like he was being stalked.He better get used to It.Who are you fellow R 8 owner? Who left the workout club in Montebello a few evenings ago.You were headed to Monterey park on Garfield Ave.:)

#72 · (Edited)
Here in So.Cal. (some call it the capitol of exotics) , things haven't tamed a bit. Some days I get photographed at least once for every 5 miles travelled. I sometimes slow to let them get their shot. It's a bit unnerving when other girls try to make eye contact, even while the G.F. is along. I feel all of the attention is a payoff on the depreciation hit. My car still packs 'em in. (and I have been waiting for all the attention to die down a bit...but not). And people don't ask me what the current market value is. They want to know the original price. Some think it was a huge chunk of change to put out, others are amazed ... much less than the other players. Maybe it's the color of my R8 ??? (I still love the car dearly) :cool::cool::cool::cool: Here she is napping in the shade behind my office. 3327 W. Beverly Bl. Montebello Cal.90640
:cool::cool::cool::cool:
\"/

#74 ·
I'm on the westside of LA, mostly in Santa Monica and Brentwood. Every other car is a $100K+ car, so there's no lack of Porches, Mercedes, and other exotics.

BUT STILL, after 2.5 years, people are still staring, taking pictures, and waving with complements. There are at least 5 of these around my neighborhood now, which is 4 too many :)

It's funny because the other day I was driving next to a new Benz SLS, and people were still looking at the R8 more than the SLS.

Just like the super hot chick in a crowd of not so hot chicks, the car just stands out. Obviously it's just a low quantity of cars that gives it that extra push to be extraordinary.

This post has been deleted
#75 ·
I have now had the car for over two years, and the attention it gets still has not changed. You still feel like you should be getting paid for performing a public service considering all the smiles, goodwill and excitement the car generates every day. Thumbs up, jaws dropping, huge grins, parking lot encounters - it just goes on and on. Countless people have told me that it is their dream car.

There is something about the R8 where most people have very positive reaction to the owner. I still think it must be that you are not driving one due to status, because the Audi label does not have the cachet of Porsche, Lambo, or Ferrari. So in the eyes of those who see one, the owner is viewed as a car guy first, and not a douche intent on showing off. Not saying that owners of other sports cars deserve that label, but I find that almost everyone is super comfortable approaching me about the car and discussing it.

I have now come to accept this as part of the R8 experience. All the attention used to make me uncomfortable, but I am OK with it now.

#76 ·
I still think it must be that you are not driving one due to status, because the Audi label does not have the cachet of Porsche, Lambo, or Ferrari. So in the eyes of those who see one, the owner is viewed as a car guy first, and not a douche intent on showing off.
I posted this somewhere else, but you are right about the common view of Audi owners. I had a salesman at a large pre-owned exotic car dealership ask me whether I was possibly a pilot or an engineer. When I replied affirmative (to both!) he said that since I was an Audi enthusiast, I almost certainly was in one of those groups.
(I was driving the Audi TT that day, while looking at and test driving an Audi R8 he had on the lot.)