The looks and stares....

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 93 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: The looks and stares....

The looks and stares....

Everyone on this forum knows the reactions an R8 elicits. Ive had my car about 2 months and have driven it a dozen times or so. When driving through a small town, all eyes on the sidewalk are transfixed my way with mouths agape and fingers pointing. In parking lots, the questions, the camera's, the wide eyed gazes. Kids in SUV's climbing over backseats to look at the car behind them, open windows with fists pumping out... the whole nine yeards. You really do feel like a rock and roll star. Given the rarity of the car, those reactions are unlikely to wane.

Perhaps this is a stupid question but... are these reactions beginning to, in some way, take away from the experience? The joy of driving the car is undeniable but I find myself not wanting to drive it to certain places and in certain situations because I find the reactions to be, at times, unnerving. Sometimes, its a bit uncomfortable. People have actually pulled into my office parking lot, parked their car and gotten out to circle the R8. Another guy stopped his car as he finished a left turn while I was at the light.... put his car in park, rolled down his window and started asking questions while others honked. Many of you have or had other exotics and have become accustomed to similar reactions but for me, its a somewhat new experience.

Any comments?
    Russman
    2010 Mercedes Benz CLS550
    2010 Porsche Cayenne S
    2009 R8 (MT) Suzuka Grey/CF GONE but will NEVER forget
    2008 Saab 9-3 Lynx Yellow Convertible
    2004 BMW R1200C Montauk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: The looks and stares....

Russman,
    I agree with you. I have not had experiences like this before. Yesterday someone drove into my office complex, parked next to my car and started taking pictures. My cohorts could not believe it. They came to my office and said "people are taking pictures of your car."

On Sunday I had someone in a BMW follow me home and he pulled into my driveway. I stopped after 100 feet and got out of my car to see what was up. He backed out and left as I approached him. That is the third time people have follow me home.

Geez...its a car! A really fun car to drive and I love the way it looks, but it makes me self-conscious. I did not realize that the R8 would cause this much interest. Maybe this will make our cars hold their value longer. )
    '04 A8L and '09 R8 R-Tronic, Ice Silver, Limestone Grey, Carbon Side-blades, Engine and Interior, Premium package, B&O, Upgrade leather, Navigation Plus

I'm not sure one could ever get use to it. Sometimes I do feel a bit "un-nerved". For the most part I enjoy talking about the car. And some kids are just too dam cute! The other day while driving past the high school, group of guys came out of the parking lot, caught up to me and one kid hanging out the window yells: " I think I love you"...LOL...forget about the part I'm old enough to be your mother! They continued to take pictures with their cells...and that part does make me nervous...a driver taking a picture...Not good!
    2009 R8-Ice Silver/Carbon blade-6spd (sold)

2006 F430 Ferrari-spider-F1 (sold)
    2009 AM DBS
    2011 V10 R8 Spyder-6spd
    2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.5is
    1967 BB Corvette Stingray

It's certainly new to me too and I would never have believed the extent and how frequent the reactions are..

for those that drive by and give a thumbs up, I give them a small hand acknowlegement to say 'thanks for the compliment'..

at this point I'm not unnerved by them although I'm sure I will be at some point if this does continue - I would think that slowly the population will increase and novelty will wear off..

All of the attention is new to me as well. I have had porsche and other audi products and nothing has come close to drawing as much attention as this car. When I purchased the R8 I expected some attention but nothing to the extent that it is occuring. There are certain times I do not drive the car because I don't want the attention. Sometimes the attention is fun, other times it can be a bit much. It is a bit uncomfortable to come out of a store and find 5 or 6 people surrounding your car with camera phones. Unfortuneatly you can't pick and choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    I would think that slowly the population will increase and novelty will wear off..
    I don't think that's gonna happen. the R8 is such a low production model with maybe a couple of thousand on Earth. I have heard it said and seen it written that the R8 may be one of the most visually stunning vehicles produced in quite some time. Most people will never see one in the flesh in their lives. I don't see its allure waning any time soon. I know when I saw it on the floor of the Audi Forum for the first time... it nearly took my breath away. seeing it everyday, I've become desenitized to its looks just a bit. the things that happen to us in our travels with the car will always remind us its profound effect on those who see it. They actually followed someone to their home!! that level of awe doesn't wear out
    Russman
    2010 Mercedes Benz CLS550
    2010 Porsche Cayenne S
    2009 R8 (MT) Suzuka Grey/CF GONE but will NEVER forget
    2008 Saab 9-3 Lynx Yellow Convertible
    2004 BMW R1200C Montauk

I hear everything you're saying, but personally I LOVE IT I can't see the interest falling off at all, as there are so few of these cars around, and they are stunning to look at. I agree with the de-sensitized comment when you own one, but I saw another one coming the other way a few weeks ago, and it took my breath away, and I was staring at it until I realised that I was actually sat in the same **** car I was drooling at!!

At the end of the day, we all know how we felt when we first ever saw an R8, and we all would stare and point if we didn't own one. We knew what we were buying from day 1, and we should take the compliments and stares etc... and be thankful that we are driving the R8 and not the one doing the pointing/staring/taking photos/walking around it/fist pumping etc...

As for the question "are these reactions beginning to, in some way, take away from the experience?" the answer is a firm NO WAY

I absolutely love the attention the R8 gets

I haven't found it the slightest bit worrying and I really enjoy the way it allows you to somehow connect or communicate with complete strangers

I'm so used to it now that my concern is that if I ever have to sell it I won't be able to handle it and I'll be like some has-been old Celebrity ; sad , embittered ,desperate for attention and people pointing in pity instead

"See that poor old down-and-out over there" they'll say "You won't believe it but he was once that famous bloke in the R8"

It is something you need to get used to. I have experienced all of the same including having people get out of their cars at red lights to run up to the car and give me a thumbs up and then run back to their cars to beat the light! I am not a thumbs up kind of guy so I have had to develop an appropriate wave so as not to seem aloof or snobish.

Kids are, of course, the best. I was at a soccer match recently and there was a young boy in an Ironman costume who almost fell over when he saw my car in the parking lot.

One thing that I have found is that all the attention is positive. Driving the car is like a public service; it brings smiles to people's faces which is always nice to see.

There are, of course, times when I am returning to my car to find it surrounded by admirers but when I am not in the mood to chit chat so I simply walk on and return a bit later.

My R8 is a MILF magnet!!!

I've had MILFs hit on me a few times since I've had the car...

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements