Audi R8 Forums banner

R8 V10 or Porsche turbo???

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  PsyFi 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm from Canada and I'm making a decision to purchase a R8 V10 or a turbo Porsche 2010. I prefer by far the hellish look, comfort and sound of the R8, a truly unique car ... Porsches, it's everywhere. Because I want to keep the car for several years, it is important to me that the car is reliable.

I am a little concerned about the reliability and especially the Lamborghini engine. It is there someone on this forum who could convince me otherwise? Please, please, please!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
The R8 has a few niggles but not every one of them, they all get sorted and usually under warranty, I think this is 3 years with the option for an extra 2? R8 is reliable for daily driving, in all weather I believe so can't go wrong there ;)

I only know what I've read so don't just take my word for it :p Have nothing to say about the Porsche :rolleyes:

#4 · (Edited)
loool i blew out 2 engines in less than a year....and these are the v8 engines which are suposed to be bullet proof, but the good news is audi kept up with the warrenty and no questions asked, they chaged them, they treat R8 customers diffrently since its there flagship car, my advice if ur gonna keep the car past the warrenty opt for the porsche if not get the R8, its more fun, better looking, its livable for everyday driving......and if ur single its a chick magnet :D

#5 ·
Been looking on the Audi site and found info about warranty. So you can have warranty for up to 5 years :D

When you purchase your new Audi, you’ll be offered the option of extending the standard warranty to either four years (or up to 75,000 miles) or five years (up to 90,000 miles).

Both options are provided by Audi – not a third party – and are a direct extension of the original three-year warranty that comes with your car. That means everything that was covered when you bought the car new continues to be covered into your extended warranty period. There are no further exclusions and no nasty surprises. It’s rather like keeping your car brand new - but for longer.

An Audi Warranty Extension belongs with the car, not with the owner. So if you decide to sell the car – even if you sell it privately – you can sell it with the remainder of your genuine Audi warranty.

#6 ·
As an objective 3rd party it's the R8 every time. Porsche far too sensible, common place and uninvolving. I'm basing that on my experience of a 996 turbo - I don't know if the 7 is much better. If I had a turbo it would have to be in a bright colour to compensate - that lurid blue they do for example. R8 needs no compensations.

#10 ·
Having daily driven 997tt's for 3 years now, they are fast and very reliable, but not involving.

I'm trying to fall in love with V10 R8's, but nothing has pushed me over the edge.

Don't forget that with the P-car, you get more trunk, backseats and far easier tune-ability.

#16 ·
I'm trying to fall in love with V10 R8's, but nothing has pushed me over the edge.
Listen... that doesn't sound like the R8's issue now does it? Failure to love something SO profoundly lovable... sounds like something a doctor may help you work through! :)

#12 ·
I went from the 2007 911TT to the 2009 R8 V8 (should have waited for the V10) and have no regrets. Both great daily drives, R8 looks and sounds much better. TT handles better. The Porsche service is MUCH more expensive than the R8. There is nothing like the Audi 700.00 service plan with Porsche. My 40,000 mile service was 2400.00. Porsche TT is a great car but the R8 is something special.

#13 ·
Mu opinion, Unfortunately bought 2009 Porsche in Feb and Traded in for 2010 Audi R8 V10 in September. Paid the penalty, but could not be happier. The Porsche was mostly plastic (Squeaks and raddled) and ride was horrible.

R8 is Quite and Smooth, and of Course handles and acceleration is more that enough for the roadways.

The down side to R8 V10 is all the attention. Have owned Ferrari's and Lambos in the past and no where the attention to this car. PLUS IPOD HOOKUP!!! I get over with sim card usage

If you can love an object, I am In LOVE.

#18 ·
Just passed 10,000m and no problems other than a handbrake called that 'ticked' fixed under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.