Audi R8 Forums banner

Is it a good time to buy an R8 V10?

12K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  naidn 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for an Audi R8 V10 and have found 2010's in the ranges from 115k to 120k and 2012's from 125k to 130+. My question is do you think it is a good time to purchase an R8 V10 now since the new 2016 is about to hit the floor within a year or so? I mean i love the the 2010 R8 V10 but just worried on how the market of the R8 will drop.

Please let me know your feed back.

Thank you.

:)

#2 ·
You can look at this in a few ways:

1. The next gen R8 is still a question mark. What will it look like? How will the market react to it? If the general market finds it less attractive than the "original", the current generation may end up in higher demand.

2. Engine. Will the next generation keep the naturally aspirated V10 option, or will everything be going forced induction? If the R8 lost the NA engine, how would that affect appeal of the original? There's a good argument that NA engines are going to be hard to find in any exotic pretty shortly... and the "get 'em while you can" mentality may set-in and make the current car more appealing.

I think the original R8 design is going to be very, very difficult to match... no less up-stage. In picking up my new 2015 from the dealer today, many of the guys there were showing reservation about the replacement - while nobody at the dealer knew anything "for sure," they're hearing and seeing a lot of the same rumors, spy shots, etc... and I guess it's not leaving a lot of inspiration at the moment. My experience has also been that when you love a car, buy it. :)

#3 ·
The camouflage should come off the 2016 soon im assuming? I'd hate to pull the trigger on the current model then the new one is revealed and thats the one you really want.

Personally I don't think it will be an improvement based on what i can see, but you may see it different.

Tough call.

#8 ·
Exactly. If you want a V10 with a gated 6-speed, now is a great time to buy one. As mentioned above, a V10 will likely become pretty uncommon if not rare. A 6-speed manual is nearly extinct. If you prefer the automatic, then I'd say go S-Tronic all the way, or wait and see what the new model offers.

#10 ·
I just drove the V8 and the V10 the other day. The V8 was the Stronic and the V10 was the manual. The V8 felt like my M3 with the DSG. Just a bit flatter through the corners. Thrust felt the same. V10 was another thing altogether and the sound and the push was very addicting. Loved the transmission and rowing my gears but I would still take the DSG over the manual. I liked that the V10 did not feel scary at all and the performance was beautifully accessible. Loved every moment in it.

I keep reading articles that in the Hurracan you can't turn of all the electronic aids and that it understeers. For me hearing all that and knowing the R8 is based off the Hurracan platform, that fills me a slight bit with dread to be honest. I would say if you can afford a V10 now...get it and forget about price drops etc. But I usually don't swap cars. I keep them to own them. If I bought an R8 it would be for keeps so my thinking might be different than other folks.

#20 ·
Nothing to dread...regardless of articles of the Huracan you may have read saying it understeers, it will significantly be an improvement over the Gallardo which this gen R8 is being compared to. I’ve had a Gallardo…in hard corners it also felt like it understeered. My friends who have the Huracan on order went to some track events recently and they all say it feels light years ahead of the Gallardo on the track. Fast and easy to drive.

#13 ·
this

Newer styling isn't necessarily prettier.

Look at the new vettes, yukk

#15 ·
I'm about a year or two out from purchasing a used R8v10. My reasoning is that I believe there will be an influx of current R8 guys trading up to the new model which could flood the market with used R8's. Even now there are many low mileage 2012 R8v10's going between $120K and $130K. See examples below:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=92503&endYear=2012&modelCode1=R8&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2011&makeCode1=AUDI&firstRecord=26&searchRadius=0&mmt=%5BAUDI%5BR8%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=378030771&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=92503&endYear=2012&modelCode1=R8&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2011&makeCode1=AUDI&firstRecord=26&searchRadius=0&mmt=%5BAUDI%5BR8%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=367199627&Log=0

If history repeats itself, we should see low mileage two year old cars with the new S Troninc transmission going between $120K and $130K by the end of 2015 going into 2016. Especially since the replacement is right around the corner. I'd say wait 6 to 8 months to see what impact the new model has on the market. My only reason for waiting at this point is because I want the S-Tronic transmission.

Just my .02 and good luck!

#16 ·
How much does anyone expect used R-tronics to drop in price when the new 2016 S-tronic comes out, assuming it's well received?

Now amortize that over the extra time you'll have with an R8 if you bought now, plus the time that you'll have the car over its lifespan after the wait-and-see period would be over in either scenario.

I doubt that dollar figure will have been worth waiting if you're only waiting to avoid some extra depreciation. It's an expensive toy and you've got to pay to play. From all reports (reference: this forum), it sounds like the enjoyment you'll get from the car will more than offset the sting of losing a few extra percent in deprecation a few years from now when you sell it.

#19 ·
When the new Gen comes out, the old gens will take a hit. Simple economics.

The question is, how long after the next gen is released will it take the then old gens to drop. Specially the pre-faceift R8 looks quite dated compared to the facelift ones, specially the pre-facelift V8's which are also pretty weak compared to what could be a twin turbo V8 in the next gen with gobs of torque and potentially easy to tune.

Currently pre facelift V10s are selling for $110,000-$130,000 ish give or take - My prediction is that V10s will drop to $90,000-$120,000 ish several months after next gen comes out and V8's will drop to $60,000-$80,000 probably sooner.

But I think demand for the old gens will be even higher at lower price points !

#22 ·
Audi knows thay have a high probability of messing up the R8, which is why you've only seen small refreshes.

I'd hate to be the design team that's handed the job of improving the design of the car.

#24 ·
For me its about affordability and wanting the S-Tronic transmission. I have the scratch right now to pick up a 2012v10 but I really want the S-Tronic transmission. Keeping that in mind I've made the decision to hold off on making a purchase. Believe me it's tough waiting because I'm an impatient person. However, I'd rather not settle and make an impulse buy knowing that I'd be kicking myself for not waiting for what I truly wanted........been there done that too many times :)

#25 ·
Tough call as you want the S Tronic and the refresh is short ?? Time away.

Other things to consider are that the new design may go for a premium over sticker initially and take a year or so to settle down.

I picked up a CPO 12 V10 Manual Coupe with 3k miles planning on using for 3/4 years or so and then making a decision on 2nd year refresh when the pricing settles down. My two years of enjoyment will out weigh any associated cost.

Have you considered a CPO 14 with S Tronic to tide you over ?

Ed

#26 ·
everyone has gave a lot of great points and i think i have made my decision. i will end up going with the 2010 because the price is right.

if i wait i may lose a great opportunity that i do not want to miss out on. I'll plan to hold onto the car for about a year sell it and maybe get the new one. Though i am not impress with all the spy shots that have gone around. the front of the car does look fairly redesign but the rear has got to go. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/rKM-YC63gAU/maxresdefault.jpg this may just be a concept but definitely not digging the non vents. then again i am still very much in love with the current Audi r8.

i am just getting out of my gtr so i know driving there will be some stuff i will lose and gain with the R8 V10. first and for most the classiness of the R8 is second to none. even though the gtr was great raw power and mean looking i think i will be very happy with my move.

what do you guys think the 2010 market value should be right now?

thanks.

secr3tr8

#27 ·
If that ends up being the final design of the 2016, I think they'll have screwed up big time. It looks cheaper, boxier, and just... lesser, somehow. Now, of course, it may not have final aero parts, which could make a big difference... but it looks like they generally took a more angular approach to the car. Not digging it at all, and I have a sneaking suspicion it won't be as well received. This is part of the reason I bought a 2015 now - what I hope will be the perfect evolution of the first generation. The good news for current R8 owners is that this could bode well for resale value and general appeal. Does anyone know how many (roughly) R8s were (will be) made from 2008 - 2015?

I think picking up the 2010 V10 now is a good idea.

#30 ·
Congratulations!! 3,000 miles on a 2010... that's like a brand new car... not to mention a sin! :)

I've had my 2015 for a few weeks and I've already put 800+ miles on it!

#34 ·
Very nice - looks great! Enjoy it!!

#37 ·
Car looks great, Daytona looks so much better in person.

Congrats

#38 ·
Looking to pick-up a v8 in the next 5-8 months. Really curious to see what Audi comes up with. I'm a HUGE tech guy, so the 2016 will have a massive appeal based off that alone. But like some of you have said, I most likely would wait another year just to be clear of any bugs and such. 6 months vs 2+ years is quite a wait! Lets hope they reveal soon. Possibly at the Paris Auto Show coming up?

#39 ·
I was told by my salesman it would be March, Geneva show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.