Audi R8 Forums banner

R8 V10 Exhaust

21K views 57 replies 22 participants last post by  OEM-Motorsports 
#1 · (Edited)
R8 V10 Exhaust CHOICE????

I am sure this has been talked about before, but just curious to hear what exhausts you guys have put on. debating which route to go.

i am looking for something loud but that does not drone.

let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

#40 ·
If you do a dyno run with the valves closed you will be in danger of serious overheating from exhaust gas return.

Exhausts are all about feel, resposnsiveness and sound and not huge performance gains. More performance gains can be made by reducing weight. A correctly valves free flow exhaust will give you more scope for ECU remapping and by design will lead to less power lost through cylinder back pressure.

#42 ·
I understand guys, thanks!
I was under the impression that when you have the valves closed or the controller set at a certain setting, then the valves open in a controlled manner, which in some cases might help with the torque loss of having a wide open system.
Maybe I was wrong and I am sorry, just what I have seen in youtube videos and what mfg's have said.
In my mind, having a system one could dial in would be the best, so you start off with the valves closed and with throttle demand or vacuum they slowly open and then go wide open to let you rip and say, look at me man, I'm going to speed of sound and i rock!
The other scenario is when your out on the main strip and come out of the restaurant and get in and open the valves wide open and let out a roar, to say, I was here, and now I am going and taking my bling with me, tag along if you can catch up.
Trev

#43 ·
oh, oh, looks like there was a whole can of worms open up on this one.
Cartoon Clip art Graphics Illustration

#44 · (Edited)
No worms at all.

David, we were not making any comment on your products at all. We have no knowledge of them and do not offer them. We are only commenting on the brands that we offer. Please do not take it like this.

In general, our experience from the brands that we deal with the more you pay the better a product you get. The relationship is obviously not on a 45% degree line, and no-one could not tell you what the line looks like. Who knows, maybe people are paying 50% more or a 15% better exhaust? Maybe it's 100% for a 10% better exhaust...who knows? At the end of the day, an exhaust is a luxury item and customers will pay for what makes them feel good. Given that the fixed costs of just buying and installing any sports exhaust are high, many customers will look to fit the best exhaust that they can afford. Owners only want to buy an exhaust once. Most purchases decisions are based on word of mouth or previous brand experience.

Our list above tries to an extent explain the costs in manufacturing for premium brands. What they charge is up to them and obviously a manufacturer will set prices to maximise total profits. The "luxury tax" exists for all luxury items. Just a fact of life. Seiko might well be able to make a automatic watch movement comprarable with a Rolex, but many customers will still want to pay the extra for a Rolex.

With regards to resale, the market for used Capristos and Akras is very bouyant. How often do you see a used Capristo or Akra lingering on this forum or on eBay? They are normally immediately snapped up.

Perhaps someone from Akra or Capristo can come on the forum to post on this....

#48 ·
Fair enough...

cliffs:

1. We bring in a development car and get it up on a lift to examine the design and construction of the factory system. From there we decide what products to develop based on a few things; where we believe there to be room for potential improvements in power, sound, weight, etc. as well as what the market is looking for.

2. We run baseline dyno tests to use as a control figure for our power improvements using our DynoJet 424 XLC-2 linked all-wheel-drive dynamometer with dedicated Bapro dyno fans as well as auxiliary fans on any additional air intakes (as needed).

3. After getting baseline dyno runs we remove the factory components and measure all of the critical areas, taking careful note of mounting points, interference points, heat shields, etc. We use our CMM Romer 3D Digitizing Arm to create a three-dimensional CAD model of the parts from which we will craft our new designs.

4. Once a design is worked out, we then determine which pieces of equipment will be needed in order to manufacture the individual pieces. In the case of the F12 Sport Cats in this video, we used our HAAS CNC Vertical Lathe (we also have a HAAS vertical Mill) to machine out these flanges, and our Unison Breeze Electric CNC Mandrel Bender to bend the tubing (we are one of maybe 4 companies with a bender of this caliver... the others being Airbus, Boeing, Lockheed Martin... you get the idea).

5. With the specifics and manufacturing details worked out, we then begin building a prototype. This prototype is usually a combination of machined pieces, 3D-printed components, and hand-fabricated pieces.

6. The prototype then gets stress tested for strength and is test-fit on the car for initial "modified" dyno testing.

7. If the sound and performance gains are up to our standard (and the standard of our clients), we move into the final phase of manufacturing, where we create a bend path to be used on our mandrel bender. We source premium-quality T304L stainless steel tubing in 10’ and 20’ raw sections so that we can create one-piece seamless bends for maximum flow and performance. We are also the world’s second-largest importer of authentic HJS catalysts, which is are widely regarded as the best performing and most reliable cat that money can buy.

8. The catalyst endcaps are attached using one of our orbital welders, while the O2 sensor bungs and other weld points are all fabricated and assembled by hand during final construction.

9. Once all of the testing and individual component manufacturing is complete, A fixture (or Jig) is made using the same aforementioned equipment to guarantee that precise fitment is repeatable every time, for every customer. our highly-skilled welders and fabricators then take over, assembling the final products to be sold worldwide.

Here is a quick breakdown of the various pieces of equipment that we use for our in-house development and manufacturing:
o Flow Mach4 XDCNC 5-Axis Waterjet | The Mach 4 Series contains the most advanced waterjet technology in the industry for unmatched versatility and capability; offers a 6' x 12' cutting envelope.
o Unison Breeze CNC Electric Mandrel Tubing Bender | Ultra accurate, all-electric mandrel tube bending; compatible with a variety of tubes and pipes including, but not limited to, stainless steel, DOM round steel, chromoly and more. Compatible with tubing up to 3.00" (76mm) diameter.
o Haas VF2 CNC Vertical Machining Center | Industry-leading accuracy and precision for repeatable CNC machining of parts and components.
o Haas ST-20 CNC Turning Center | Industry-leading accuracy and precision for repeatable CNC machining of parts and components.
o Bystronic XPert 150-Ton CNC Press Brake | CNC-controlled backstops with multiple bending stations allow for high volume and quick turn-around.
o CNC Plasma Cutter | Cut metals as thin as .030”-.500” with minimal slag and kerf deviations.
o CNC Laser Engraver | Capable of engraving and/or marking area within a 7" x 7" square or a 10" diameter circle.
o Stratasys Dimension Elite 3D Printer | Rapid prototyping and product development with a build envelope of 8" x 8" x 12" (203mm x 203mm x 305mm).
o Bridgeport Manual Mill
o Acer Manual Lathe
o Robotic TIG Welding Lathe | Precision orbital tube welding with quick turn-around and consistent results
o Romer CMM 7-Axis 3D Digitizing Arm | Generate digitized 3D models of existing components forproduct development and prototyping

#47 ·
Well .. I never get into discussions like that, when someone without a track record just starts discussions without knowing what the other guys are doing.

Capristo is a brand that has been long enough on the market to prove that the products leaving Capristo manufacturing are some of the best on the market. Production and engineering made in Germany sticking to the highest quality standards. If someone wants to buy something different then he should do there is and will never be any obligation to buy premium products from Capristo. But those customers who do and did are more than satisfied.

Osman already has shown what Capristo does besides exhaust systems, unique developments for Ferrari and others that certainly are outstanding but it looks like in the US you always prefer to bash instead of accepting competition and focussing on producing better products.

At the end it is the customer who decides what he wants.

Just my 2 Eurocent ;-)

Cheers from Germany

Iggi

#49 ·
also, just to be clear, I have nothing against Osman, Capristo, Akrapovic, etc. I just think it's funny that there is this misconception that you need to spend an absurd amount of money, or go to Europe to get a quality exhaust system. I think competition keeps the industry moving forward, so in that respect threads like these are healthy, however blanket statements like "the more you spend on an exhaust, the better it will be" is total nonsense. I have pulled Tubi, Capristo, and a variety of other brand exhausts off various cars in favor of ours in the past, the opposite may be true of them with our system too. It all comes down to what the end user wants and what makes them happy which is why both Osman and I are here; to offer a variety of parts and services to make sure everyone gets taken care of and ends up with a smile on their face!

#50 ·
I have to agree that paying $6000-8000 on an exhaust seems high. I also agree that the luxury tax on the R8 is obvious. The costs to R&D an R8 exhaust and then trying to recoup all that investment by selling a relative few exhausts.

On the other hand .... we're not talking brain surgery here. I'm sure by now the trick to building an exhaust system (especially for the R8 which has been out for a number of years) is no mystery.

Obviously, FabSpeed has figured it out.

#51 ·
This is the same with exhausts as it is with aftermarket wheels....some companies just have built a name by marketing...and charge excessive amounts for that! I see armytrix trying to do with exhausts what ADV has done with wheels - and it seems to be working. They both offer great products - but lets be honest........I got a quote for a set of wheels - $11,000. LOL!!!!

#52 ·
agree with fabspeed here.

I had an absolutely awesome exhaust on my jag xfr, no drone... bought it for £700 built in UK by a small company.

everyone I know told me that this car with that exhaust on sounded better than my r8 with larini on.

yes gucci and prada is awesome, but the price is too.. but iceberg also make awesome clothes of the same quality.

anyway sometimes it's just about the name, in other cases maybe not. akro been an example of the high price and high quality

#54 ·
Re: R8 V10 Exhaust CHOICE????

I just received my Armytrix valved exhaust. I must say if nothing else it sure is a work of art. The welds are the best I have ever seen and I do know my welds.
Osman really helped me out with this purchase and customer service is the best.
More to follow regarding install and completion of this hop up.

#55 ·
Nice shop FabSpeed...had no idea you were building in house.So many operations outsource and slap on there tag.That business is real common here in southern california. Its obvious most of these companies are giving a luxury tax on these products.First hand as a builder I know what materials and time it takes to build an exhaust system.Just because a company charges more doesnt mean its a better product. People just have this misconception that a cheaperproduct is the lesser when I myself ave followed that method to have it bite me in the ass.

#56 ·
Something to think about... Armytrix offers no direct customer support. Osman has been extremely quick fielding questions and has been terrific to work with.
Unfortunately my mechanic is not a speed tech he is a lead Audi dealer mechanic and for this reason we are on ten days and still not working. Logically it is partially my fault but still frustrated with this. He has not worked on it for about a week awaiting final diagrams of the vacuum set up.
I have driven the car with the valves open and wow! It is loud and picked up some power to easily spin the tires. All in all is is the most beautiful exhaust I have seen just wish Armytrix was a bit more customer oriented. I did some digging and found their e-mail address but they did not answer me.

#58 · (Edited)
Armytrix is the only company that offers a remote valve kit that can be calibrated through the throttle position sensor and RPM. Almost all other systems work as an on-off switch - e.g. Akrapovic or through manifold pressure.

This requires extra wiring, which can be a little daunting. Takes a little time to figure it out but all customers' worshops have had it up and running perfectly so far. The Armytrix valve kit does not necessarily need to be installed. The exhaust can be hooked straight onto the factory solenoid.

In any case, the exhaust is truly a work of art!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.