Opinions: Aston Martin Vantage vs Audi R8

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions: Aston Martin Vantage vs Audi R8

Opinions: Aston Martin Vantage vs Audi R8

Can any R8 owners share their experiences have owned or have driven an Aston Martin Vantage V8, DB9, DBS? How does it compare to your R8?
    Audi RS5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Opinions: Aston Martin Vantage vs Audi R8

I have not owned an Aston Martin but I had a Jaguar XKR which is poor man's version of the Vantage.

I know there are some other threads on this topic so you might want to search the site.
    '10 Audi R8 V10 (daytona gray pearl effect, CF sideblades, titanium finish wheels, STaSIS exhaust/ECU)
    '12 Tesla Model S Signature Performance
    '11 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    '06 Lexus RX 400h
    '03 Chevy Corvette 50th Anniversary
    '94 Dodge Viper
    '69 Chevy Camaro SS/RS

I haven't personally owned or driven an Aston-Martin but strongly considered the new V12 Vantage as a worthy competitor to the R8, but in the final analysis I decided that it wasn't worth the extra $25K (or more).
    "There are old men and there are bold men, but there are very few bold old men."

Maybe this will help you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAa0Uh17BEM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAa0Uh17BEM[/ame]
    SEAT of the PANTS DYNO

I cancelled my order for the Aston V8 following a test drive in the R8 so I suppose that says it all really

Have also driven the DB9 but still prefer the R8

The new Aston Supercar ONE77 is probably better than any R8 but then so it should be for 1.3 million !!

Quote Originally Posted by nexlogic View Post
    Can any R8 owners share their experiences have owned or have driven an Aston Martin Vantage V8, DB9, DBS? How does it compare to your R8?
    I put 10,000 miles on my '09 V8 Vantage Roadster (4.7 liter engine) and had pretty much made up my mind to trade it for the V12 Vantage when I test drove the R8 Spyder.

The Aston is beautiful; I'm not partial to the looks of the R8 coupe but that, of course is a highly subjective variable. The AM is a little underpowered, even with the '09 model year and the upgrade to the 4.7 liter engine. My car had the sport pack suspension and it handled remarkably well. I needed new brake discs in the rear (unusual, I thought) at about 9K miles. The only other service it required was a Check Engine light early on indicating a new gas cap was needed.

The R8 is much quicker and has the handling/grip advantage of all wheel drive. You can actually test the limits of the AM on public roads; I doubt that's even possible with the R8 (well, unless you're completely irresponsible.) I'm not sure I'd like the Aston without the sport pack as I detest body roll (main reason I decided against a California; that and the price differential to the Audi .) Less lift under acceleration and less squat under braking. I haven't had the chance yet to track it but hopefully in the spring.

DBS probably shouldn't be in this mix i.m.o. Quite a lot more expensive than the rest. I personally love the DBS!
    2010 Ibis white/Audi exclusive leather w/Alcantera inserts. ~HRE M40's ~Quicksilver titanium exhaust ~Bunch of MaCarbon interior bits ~

I had a DB9 before I bought my R8. The DB9 is a great car -- good shape, incredible leather and workmanship on the interior and fast. The reason I sold the DB9 was that it is more of a GT car and not really a sports car. The DB9 is a big car and does not feel as nimble as the R8. The R8 is much more of a sports car and more fun to drive. But if your choice is an Aston or an R8 you cannot make a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
    I had a DB9 before I bought my R8. The DB9 is a great car -- good shape, incredible leather and workmanship on the interior and fast. The reason I sold the DB9 was that it is more of a GT car and not really a sports car. The DB9 is a big car and does not feel as nimble as the R8. The R8 is much more of a sports car and more fun to drive. But if your choice is an Aston or an R8 you cannot make a bad decision.
    Pretty much the same reason I'm going from the Vanquish to the R8
    2011 Audi R8 V10 MT; Sepang Blue with matching blade and engine vents, matt wrap; Stasis SuperCharger #12; Stasis brake rotors
    2009 Porsche Cayman S MT (gone)
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    2004 Aston Martin Vanquish SDP Works Service MT (gone)
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8 MT (gone)

11. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements