Audi R8 Forums banner

ordinary R8s still getting "looks & stares" & photos

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  HawkeyeJim 
#1 · (Edited)
In connection with the "Allure of the Automobile" travelling exhibit (originated in Atlanta), Portland's Art Museum has been having a Saturday morning, "show and shine" exhibit on closed park streets in front of the museum. Local car clubs have been selecting member "cars of interest" for the showing and they've had Saturdays for Italian Cars, Porsche's, Fords, Chevys, Hot Rods, American Classics, etc., etc..

AudiClub NW (chapter of ACNA) had a slot in this Saturday's show. They had 2 R8's (my '10 v8 coupe and a '10 v10 coupe from the Seattle area). I was disappointed that there was no Spyder or GT, but apparently none in member lists yet to invite (dealer JUST got his first GT). Compared to some places in this country, Oregon is a relative "desert" for exotics and "near exotics" (a better designation for the R8).

Standing around for 6 hours, as requested, to schmooze with people browsing the cars, I was interested to see that our 2 R8s were like magnets, constantly being looked over and photographed. More than any other late model production cars that I could see from where I was standing.

early in the day & late in the day (and all day long!)

Of course, there was some very interesting stuff, even on this day of "miscellaneous" marques. Your taste is probably not my taste, but the two older Audis that caught my eye the most were:

An immaculately restored, swb, "ur-Sport Quattro" with composite & alloy body parts, full race/rallye kit, etc.. THIS is the car that really started it all for Audi and led eventually to the R8.

A '92 "ur-S4" owned and tracked (a lot as you might imagine) by a local tuner, who told me it's 2.5 l 5 cyl. dynos over 600 hp! Only external clues were the clear finished carbon fiber hood and HUGE brakes lurking behind his race wheels.

Other than the R8's, the "car I'd most like to own" in the exhibit (outside the museum cars of course!), was an amazing 1962 MkI "ur"-AC Cobra (if you will accept the German prefix!). This car was ORIGINAL, totally unrestored, just lovingly cared for and driven, much of the time daily, ever since '62!

See less See more
#4 ·
if my R8 got anymore looks and stares it would be a safety risk. Serious

#5 ·
^^ Factual. I'm often scared of driving in heavy traffic conditions for fear that someone makes a boneheaded move trying to look at the car. I've already had numerous close calls. That and everyone wants to race you. Even if you're clearly not interested, you see a lot of people driving a bit more recklessly around you.

#6 ·
agree soho, same here in UK...there are 2 kinds of drivers around the R8 i have found

a) those that are just 'curious' but don't realise that riding beside you taking pics, especially in your blind spot just next to/slightly behind you is just annoying after a while :) but you can't knock them for that, after all, all they are doing is admiring the cars...you just need to have eyes everywhere when driving the R8!

b) and then there are the 'racers' who just want to show you how fast their car is...I've found its normally middle aged/older guys with kids in the car trying to show how fast daddies car is to a R8 lol

#8 ·
b) and then there are the 'racers' who just want to show you how fast their car is...I've found its normally middle aged/older guys with kids in the car trying to show how fast daddies car is to a R8 lol
When I drove my cayman I had this problem - every 335i, G37, etc. at a light would try to race me but since I got the R8 no one has tried! :D

Been beside an R1 which would've smoked me if he wanted... and a C63 kind of tried once, but I wouldn't go quickly beside another car don't want to risk getting caught "street racing"

#7 ·
Due to all the various problems i have had with my v10 coupe (another story soon to be resolved and updated on the forum) i have been driving spyders, on and off, these past six months.

I can safely say that the spyder has barely registered in terms of looks, stares or pictures whereas the coupe was forever getting all the above plus more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.