2 day Audi Sports Car Experience at Infeneon March 17-18

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 day Audi Sports Car Experience at Infeneon March 17-18

Cool 2 day Audi Sports Car Experience at Infeneon March 17-18

IMG_9757[1].jpg
    I am the one in the blue to the far right.

Several of my friends and I completed the 2 day Audi Experience at Infeneon March 17 & 18.

Day 1 was completed in the rain from start to finish, but that did not dampen our enthusiasm. After a short warmup in the parking lot pacticing apex turning and a slalom course it was out to the track. For those who are not familiar the 1 and 2 day courses they are all lead-follow when on the track with the instructor talking and pacing you around the track. With each session we got better and faster, all the time fighting the rain and spray from the lead car which at times caused significant anxiety. This was particularly true when all you could make out was break lights going into a tight 90 degree turn. By the end of day one we were hitting over 100mph on parts of the 2.5 mile 12 turn course all the time running a "wet line" around the track. I never knew there was that much traction in wet conditions.

Day 2 was dry and began with a track session. The improved conditions allowed us to begin to run a faster dry line around the track. We focused on getting in and out of the turns and where we needed to be entering the turns to hit the apex on the way out. Before we knew it lunch was served. Following lunch the staff set up an auto cross in the parking lot. After a couple of laps in the passenger seat of the instructors R8, we each got to do several three lap runs of our own. After the auto cross it was back on the track to "put down some fast laps", and that we did. The intensity really picked up with the instructors emphasizing how important it was at the speeds we were carrring to break hard when needed, hit the apex correctly, and not be late into the turns. The instructors were great, but at one point my instructor got on the wrong channel and I went 2 laps in radio silence. Wow, did I ever miss his guidence and reassurance. Lets just say I was really glad when he came back on the radio! As we went around the course, instructions such as "Now..Hard break to the floor", "get down to the apex", "Roll on, Roll on...Now, wide open..Go, Go, Go", "Good lap now lets go 3 mph faster". By the end we were hitting over 100 mph at several points on the track and topped out at around 113mph. For reference I was told NASCAR hits about 130 at the fastest point on the track.

It was a tremendous 2 days. Aside, the breakfast and lunches served were excellent.
    Looking back, I am acutually glad we had one wet and one dry day as they gave you such different experiences. If you get the opprotunity and want to drive someone elses R8 like you stole it and at the same time get great instruction this is the ticket. I am now trying to find the time to get to the advanced course.

MM

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 2 day Audi Sports Car Experience at Infeneon March 17-18

How do you sign up for this? All I could find on the Audi site was just a place to enter your email where you could receive a 'special offer'.

Audi sportscar experience
    29359 Arnold Drive
    Sonoma, Ca 95476 USA
    Tel. +1.707.939.4625
    Fax. +1.707.939.6851

Thanks! I'll give them a call.

I was in Day 1 of that class (March 17). Despite the rain it was thoroughly enjoyable, plus it really showed off how well-planted the R8 is in the wet. Wish I'd stayed for Day 2.

Thanks 2-th-max & benzo for pushing through it and exploring the limits out there in the wet. Most people are a little apprehensive about lapping at speed in slippery conditions, but the poor weather exaggerates minor mistakes not noticed in the dry and is actually a better learning environment. I hope all the lessons learned here at the racetrack followed you home and have made you more confident drivers behind the wheel. As graduates of the R8 2-Day program, you are now welcome to return for the R8 Advanced class. We hope to see you both back again soon.

All the best,

Shawn Jackson
    Sales Manager
    Audi sportscar experience
    707-939-4624

Shawn,

I've been wanting to book this for september, and I entered my info on the Audi site ages ago and have never heard from them. Is there another way to book it directly?

Thanks.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements