Another technical question..

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another technical question..

Another technical question..

How much does it weigh?

No, don't just say 1560kg. What I am really interested is how much does it 'really' weigh, so that I can understand how it compares with its peers.

I spoke to my colleagues at EVO and unfortunately they didn't weigh the R8 when they had it on test recently, so has anyone else seen a measured weight rather than the manufacturers quoted weight?

What standard do Audi usually publish their vehicle weights? Is it to DIN standard like Porsche, or do they quote to a version of EC1 type (i.e. vehicle with fluids + 68kg driver + 7kg luggage +90% tank of fuel).

I am curious and cannot yet find any test that measures this.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    Mugello Blue - Magnetic Ride - Manual - Bucket Seats - Q3-08

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Another technical question..

Good question. In the US, Audi said curb weight is 3450 pounds. In recent test by Car and Driver, I believe Car and Driver shows a curb weight of 3560 pounds. ??

Your very right in saying that the published weight is 1560kg, but this is kerb wieght (unladen weight).

The actual GROSS vehicle weight stated by Audi will be 1860kg

Quote Originally Posted by Steved View Post
    How much does it weigh?

No, don't just say 1560kg. What I am really interested is how much does it 'really' weigh, so that I can understand how it compares with its peers.

I spoke to my colleagues at EVO and unfortunately they didn't weigh the R8 when they had it on test recently, so has anyone else seen a measured weight rather than the manufacturers quoted weight?

What standard do Audi usually publish their vehicle weights? Is it to DIN standard like Porsche, or do they quote to a version of EC1 type (i.e. vehicle with fluids + 68kg driver + 7kg luggage +90% tank of fuel).

I am curious and cannot yet find any test that measures this.
    Steve,
    Official weight is 1560kg(DIN) or 1635kg(EC1).

Here are measurements by German mags:

AMS(manual, electric seats, standard brakes, Magnetic Ride) 1632kg
    Auto Zeitung(manual, Bucket seats, standard brakes, Magnetic Ride) 1580kg
    Sport Auto(manual, Bucket seats, Ceramic brakes, standard suspension) 1595kg

All German mags measure the car with full tank and NO driver.
    Realistic difference in weight between car with standard(electric) seats and the one with Bucket seats is around 30kg...
    To keep the car below 1600kg you NEED Bucket seats...

Quote Originally Posted by Kreso View Post
    Steve,
    Official weight is 1560kg(DIN) or 1635kg(EC1).

Here are measurements by German mags:

AMS(manual, electric seats, standard brakes, Magnetic Ride) 1632kg
    Auto Zeitung(manual, Bucket seats, standard brakes, Magnetic Ride) 1580kg
    Sport Auto(manual, Bucket seats, Ceramic brakes, standard suspension) 1595kg

All German mags measure the car with full tank and NO driver.
    Realistic difference in weight between car with standard(electric) seats and the one with Bucket seats is around 30kg...
    To keep the car below 1600kg you NEED Bucket seats...
    Thanks Kreso! It sounds like Audi's figures are conservative then. 1595kg, if that includes a full tank of fuel would equal around 1528kg as a DIN weight.

Just flicking through some past issues of Sport Auto. The previous Audi TT 3.2 weighed only 10kg lighter, the Porsche Carerra GT was just over 100kg lighter and the original test for the Gallardo came in at around 25kg more than the R8. Whilst the 997TT is about the same weight. Interesting.
    Last edited by Steved; 06-05-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    Mugello Blue - Magnetic Ride - Manual - Bucket Seats - Q3-08

shouldnt the car with buckets, ceramics and std suspension be the lightest?

Quote Originally Posted by geffers View Post
    It should BUT, not with optional B&O sound system.
    Difference between standard brakes and Ceramics is only 10kg on R8. Why? Because R8 use very big standard brakes(380mm fronts/356mm rears) and they are the one of the lightest iron brakes on all current sportscars. Optional Ceramics are 380mm fronts/350mm rears and use 6caliper for fronts and 4caliper for rear, unlike standard brakes-8caliper for front/4caliper for rear but, those front calipers on Ceramics are pretty big and heavy so, realistic weight saving is around 10kg on R8...

BTW, standard R8 brakes are together with standard 997 Turbo brakes the best iron brakes on all sportscars currently on the market.

Ceramics have some problems with very low exterior temperature and they do not like wet at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Kreso View Post
    It should BUT, not with optional B&O sound system.
    Difference between standard brakes and Ceramics is only 10kg on R8. Why? Because R8 use very big standard brakes(380mm fronts/356mm rears) and they are the one of the lightest iron brakes on all current sportscars. Optional Ceramics are 380mm fronts/350mm rears and use 6caliper for fronts and 4caliper for rear, unlike standard brakes-8caliper for front/4caliper for rear but, those front calipers on Ceramics are pretty big and heavy so, realistic weight saving is around 10kg on R8...

BTW, standard R8 brakes are together with standard 997 Turbo brakes the best iron brakes on all sportscars currently on the market.

Ceramics have some problems with very low exterior temperature and they do not like wet at all...
    thanks for this comment Kreso
    breaks are very important, and so I am glad I went for standard breaks.
    I never liked my A6 breaks, in wet on highway, when trying to exit...there was always a huge delay of response, made me very unconfortable

so, if these are the "best" iron breaks.. then !! really happy here..
    this car turns out to be THE surprise, and remembering back in sept when they showed the car in paris... me running to dealer.. making specs and signing contract after just one time sitting in the car... and now this! If I dont stop writing now, I probably repeat myself on and on, on how relieved and happy I am.. haha
    guess I speak for all of you..

looking forward to my
    and maybe a R8talk-trackday on one of the nice european circuits with us members...

btw - we are now debating the cancellation of the prohibition for race circuits here in Switzerland..
    R8 phantomblack/silverSB (deposit 22nov06)

Quote Originally Posted by geffers View Post
    The best weightgain I could get it loose my own overweight haha. Now 100kg, I would like to be 85kg!
    '04 Brilliant Black S4 V8 (Milltek full exhaust) (Sold 2008)
    '07 Daytona Grey manual R8 - Picked up 30 July 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
    The best weightgain I could get it loose my own overweight haha. Now 100kg, I would like to be 85kg!
    thats np - if your car is delivered... follow below instructions:

stop and therefore concentrate on
    R8 phantomblack/silverSB (deposit 22nov06)

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements