Audi R8 Forums banner

R8 V8 is it fast enough?

21K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  ajsherrill 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I'm from the sunny uk :+1::+1: I'm about to sell up my 520bhp big turbo focus RS. Now I got my heart set on two cars the 997 turbo or the r8 v8

I love the r8 way more I know this is gonna be pretty one side on a r8 forum! But do you really find the r8 v8 enough for the road? I like the way my current car pins me back and shakes me up a little if you get me lol, but I'm after some think a bit more special and luxurious. This will be a weekend car as I have my van for work and I have a budget of around £45k so the v10 out of the question.

I just want that rush of excitement but not sure if a na engine for me due to the lack of torque that's where the 911 steps in. Ahhh I don't know what to do! Anyone gone from a big powered car (even though mine was fwd and spent half its life spinning the wheels everywhere) to the r8 v8 and felt there was enough power there?

#2 ·
The V8 is a great car, but it's likely going to feel a bit less exciting if "pin you back" is a key requirement. It's a great car all around, and you'd find the handling superb (especially coming from a front engine FWD car) with adequate speed - but it won't take your breath away on acceleration. You'll need the V10 to start feeling that... and even then, mid 3's 0 - 60 isn't enough for some.

The R8 is a very special car - from looks through performance, but you'd need to look at it as a whole package over just one aspect. If you're looking only for raw performance, there are other options. If you're looking for something with performance, exotic looks, and luxury in one, the R8 is head of the class.

Go test drive a V8 and see what you think.

#3 ·
If you are asking the question than it probably wont be fast enough for you. Many have bought V8's and went to the V10 for that very reason. (Im in the process of doing the same) Dont get me wrong the V8 is fun and fast, just would consider it to be a "fast" car. But with cars these days, the same can be said about the V10.

#5 ·
From the spec for each, I really didn't see enough of a gap to see the v10 being that much better....now prices are what they are, it seems like the v10 is more in line with what a v8 might have been just a year earlier. So, if you can find the right v10 I might have got it instead; however, moving from a v8 to a v10 doesn't seem all that logical to me...

If it were for lack of speed and thrill, I would just stick with a 911 TT - its everything that the v10 is on paper and then some (much more functional actually with a back seat and more storage). So, it would just have to be something more than speed that compels me to make the jump.

#4 · (Edited)
Ive had my R8 v8 for the better part of 8months and I came from a line of Porsches. The most recent, a 991/911 TT. First, to compare them, its a little like Apples to Oranges; the two are both fruits but taste very different. The TT's are quite a bit more untamed...lets face it, a complete supercar while the R8 could better be compared from a performance perspective to the Carrara 4S. If you're looking for speed thrills, the R8 is fun, but won't touch the same areas of the soul that the TT will but the same could be said for the 911 and its inability to replace the R8 experience.

The R8 handles and drives completely different. Its a mid engine car, with equal weight distribution. How you drive it is different from the 911 and the feedback to get to the thrill zone is different altogether as well. It doesn't stick around corners by throttling the rear end like you do with a 911, and it just kind of acts more 'civilized'. That said, the look of the R8 (v10 or v8) just creates something special both for the driver and for those that witness it on the roadway....in fact, if attention isn't your thing, be prepared for that. 911s have looked virtually the same for 60 years. So, they don't create the same emotional responses as the r8 in public. If you don't like random photo shoots or people following you, don't buy this car. Its par for the course.

Other things to consider...you will need to do a couple of things to your car when you get it. Most important will be to get a Peddlebox (or equivalent). The electronic throttle control is universal for Audi - so the one in the R8 is the same throttle sending unit that is in the A3. The peddle box will adjust the 0-5VDC message and give you immediate changes in response to your requests to go fast. I went with an exhaust and a couple of other mods; those being optional but definitely improve the car.

Consider it like a cross between the Ferrari 360 (attention and handling); the SL550 (comfort and interior features); the 9114S (performance and reliability). Fortunately for me, with these cars, those were the things that I appreciated the most from each!

#54 ·
Ive had my R8 v8 for the better part of 8months and I came from a line of Porsches. The most recent, a 991/911 TT. First, to compare them, its a little like Apples to Oranges; the two are both fruits but taste very different. The TT's are quite a bit more untamed...lets face it, a complete supercar while the R8 could better be compared from a performance perspective to the Carrara 4S. If you're looking for speed thrills, the R8 is fun, but won't touch the same areas of the soul that the TT will but the same could be said for the 911 and its inability to replace the R8 experience.

The R8 handles and drives completely different. Its a mid engine car, with equal weight distribution. How you drive it is different from the 911 and the feedback to get to the thrill zone is different altogether as well. It doesn't stick around corners by throttling the rear end like you do with a 911, and it just kind of acts more 'civilized'. That said, the look of the R8 (v10 or v8) just creates something special both for the driver and for those that witness it on the roadway....in fact, if attention isn't your thing, be prepared for that. 911s have looked virtually the same for 60 years. So, they don't create the same emotional responses as the r8 in public. If you don't like random photo shoots or people following you, don't buy this car. Its par for the course.

Other things to consider...you will need to do a couple of things to your car when you get it. Most important will be to get a Peddlebox (or equivalent). The electronic throttle control is universal for Audi - so the one in the R8 is the same throttle sending unit that is in the A3. The peddle box will adjust the 0-5VDC message and give you immediate changes in response to your requests to go fast. I went with an exhaust and a couple of other mods; those being optional but definitely improve the car.

Consider it like a cross between the Ferrari 360 (attention and handling); the SL550 (comfort and interior features); the 9114S (performance and reliability). Fortunately for me, with these cars, those were the things that I appreciated the most from each!
what other mods beside Peddlebox and exhaust did you make?

#6 · (Edited)
The issue with the V8 is an awful lot of more normal cars are going to give you a hard time, I had a 'do' with a Focus RS, judging by the blue samco and shinny inter cooler it wasn't std and half a mile down the road I was about two car lengths up on him
There are also more than a few golf r and S3 lurking and it's only going to take a fluffed gear change which their DSG won't miss! plus if an EVO appeared you need to turn off quickly!
Saying all that none of the above will drive and feel like a V8 R8
I have since sold my V8 and bought a 13 plate V10, ion comparison it uses zero oil, has over 100 hp more and does more to the gallon, purists will say the heavier engine can be felt and yes it can, but ffs you need to be on a real mission to feel it and even then you only need to take a little of the steering input off
The V10 will also map very close to 600 hp as it is the Lamborghini engine and the detune for R8 install is to only open the throttles to 80%
A lot of V8 owners trade to the V10, very few trade the other way :)

#12 ·
The OP doesn't have the budget for the V10 so it is not worth discussing. What my view would be is that the V8 will not have sufficient punch for the OP coming from a 500hp hot hatch however will be a much more rewarding driving experience.

I say buy the V8 and when you can afford it spend another 10k and supercharge it.

#55 ·
The OP doesn't have the budget for the V10 so it is not worth discussing. What my view would be is that the V8 will not have sufficient punch for the OP coming from a 500hp hot hatch however will be a much more rewarding driving experience.

I say buy the V8 and when you can afford it spend another 10k and supercharge it.
R8 TT, Where can you get a SC for $10k ?

#13 ·
Give the V8 a test drive and you'll immediately know if it's fast enough for you. If it isn't, then give the GTR a test drive.

You'll definitely find it fast enough but it will unlikely feel as special as a R8. There's always "Force Induction" if you want fast and special!

#14 ·
I have had all three: 997tt, r8v8 and a r8v10. If you want seat of the pants feel like you have now go with the 997tt since the r8v10 is not in your budget. I think that with the prices of 997tt right now, they are the best bang for the buck. Buy one, put an exhaust and a tune on it and no non-turbo or supercharged r8 will touch you, at a fraction of the cost of a r8v10. My problem was I drove the R8 and it was all over. I had the 997tt and a R8v8 at the same time. I liked driving the R8 more but missed the power......so.......traded both for the V10, but if I could not have the v10, I would have kept the 997tt.

#15 ·
I had a 997.2 Turbo S and while it was frighteningly quick off the line, I found it boring to drive the other 99% of the time and it lasted 90 days in my garage before I traded it for a FGT. Don't get me wrong...it was a great car, just not very fun to drive beyond taking off like a jet from a stopped position. The R8 is a much better all around driver (IMHO) and way more exotic looking...much more exciting to drive around town. The problem with 911's is that they all look alike...exactly alike to all those, except the very few intelligentsia who know the difference. The R8 is still pretty darned rare and seeing one in the wild is still an event. For those who really love cars and understand a great driver when they are sitting in one, the R8 is one of the all-time "great" driving cars ever made. Team that up with the beautiful 6MT gearbox and you have perhaps the very best of the best European driver's ever. Just saying'...:)

#23 ·
+1 - Spot on!

#16 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies I think I'm gonna go for one as I want that special feel and I think it's a brilliant all round car.

I'm gonna substituted the power this time as I want to feel I can spank it round the track and have fun in the corners as with the RS it's fast on the straights but trying to power out of a corner gets a lot of torque steer. Also I'm wanting a car I can look back and smile that I own it and as stated the Porsche is like any other really and where I live in a small town I'll probably be the only one with an r8

All I was worried about is if I was gonna get bored easily but I'm sure strapping a supercharger will help and will be more than enough

#17 ·
It's fast enough. As fast as the previous generation M3.

The V10 is like tooo fast for daily use. If money isn't an issue just get the V10, it' sounds exotic and looks more muscular and modern than the V8.

Just don't get an R tronic, that will make the v8 feel really slow.

#18 ·
I just came from a 09 CTS-V to the R8 V8. I love this car much as i hoped I would. The V is faster but this feels special and rare. I took a drive on some curvy roads in Tennessee yesterday and this thing is highly impressive. Always drive in manual mode if you get an auto trans and R-Tronic is not an issue.

#20 ·
I went from a stage 2 Nissan GTR to my current R8 V8. The GTR was massively faster but all things considered I prefer the R8. I sold the GTR after 22 months which is almost the same amount of time I've owned the R8 yet I have no desire to sell it yet.
There is so much more to a driving experience than out and out speed and for me the R8 ticks more boxes than the GTR did. If anything,the GTRs speed and capabilitys were so high you couldn't get close to its limits on the public roads and that left me frustrated and eventually bored with it as for most of the time it didn't feel that special.
The R8 v8 pretty much hits the sweet spot for driving in the UK as you can drive it hard and enjoy it without having to reach intergalactic speeds to do so.
It won't give you that turbo thrust kick in the back that the others might but I'm sure you will enjoy it in so many other ways.

#21 ·
I had a 911 4S and my R8 V10 drives pretty similar. The R8 feels bigger and wider and has a lot more grunt plus people are always asking to take a picture. The Porsche was much more practical, could carry 4 in a pinch and had a better turn-in steering feel to me. My favorite feature of my R8 V10 is the amazing engine sound.

If all you care about is cost vs. driving performance, the Porsche is probably a better choice.

#30 ·
Marc you sure the 911 4S and V10 drives similar?? I thought they have very different power levels...400 vs 525 with the porsche having much less torque. If they feel similar I should definitely test drive the p car

#24 ·
I traded my 450bhp stage 2 tuned E92 M3 DCT in for a R8 V8 and I absolutely adore it.
I'm a proper keen driver and push my cars hard, the first thing that struck me with the R8 is how special ownership is. The driving experience and 'supercar' looks really do stand out and people just love it.

Performance wise I thought it was a tad slower at first, but after a good play against my mates E92 M3 dct competition pack it's definitely quicker. It's so composed and traction is so good that it doesn't feel as manic as the M3 did, the M3 was a great bit of kit for messing around in and it loved to go sideways but when you just wanted to press on and make progress the lack of traction was really frustrating.
You can do both in the R8, it will oversteer but it will also get ace traction even in the wet.

#26 ·
Simply ask yourself do you want to own and dive a thing of beauty or drive and own a VW beetle that are 10 a penny ! If that's not convincing you drive them both, I've owned several of both but never gone back to a 911 since my first R8 back in 2007. That tells you a lot

#27 ·
V8 is plenty fast enough for UK roads - yes there are lots of quicker vehicles out there in certain situations (my own Mk7 Golf R for example) but none will make you feel as good as when you start her up, clack-clack the lever around the gate and just go for a drive.......

Also depends if you want to stand out or not because 911s are everywhere!!! Yes they are great cars but they are absolutely not 'special' motors. I went over to N Wales the other weekend with a couple of friends. One has a 991 model 911S and the other an E90 M3. Driving in convoy through Betws-y-Coed, people on the pavement never batted an eye at the other two but got their phones out to take pictures of my R8.

Not many modernish vehicles out there at the moment which won't depreciate like a stone either - if you buy the 911 kiss goodbye to a large chunk of cash when you come to sell/trade. R8 won't be totally immune but will fare much, much better!!

#28 ·
Do you want fast or quick? There is a huge difference.

Fast enough? Definitely. A V8's capable of over 180 mph. I've only seen top end speeds (181) once out on a very desolate section of highway out in the desert and on the track, thus far, 147.

Quick enough? 4 to 4.2 seconds 0-60 is an exceptional time relative to the majority of new vehicles. Are there quicker cars out there? Sure, there are - there ALWAYS is. I had a twin turdbo V8 that was brutally quick (same top end), but the nightmare of the modification train ruined the car completely (and it was a lemon).

Unless you plan on just pointing and shooting every time you get into your car, or you are stuck in drag race mentality, you'll love the V8. It's an incredible ride.

#29 ·
I've just purchased a 2009 R8 V8 (22K on the clock with manual gearbox, upgraded exhaust and flashed computer) and I love it. Power is relative. It always comes back to what YOU want or need to make you feel great about ownership.

I just sold my stunning clone of the 1966 Ford GT 40 MK 1 which I had for 6 years. That car is about as RAW as they get and while I loved it in so many ways it was a different kind of love. I graved the rawness of its brute power and torque being fed by 6 webers and sounding like a monster on 'roids but it gave me the thrills I needed at that time. The R8 is a refined and very civil place to spend time and I'm chuffed to have her sitting in my garage. The power of the car is so linear and smooth compared to the Ford but it satisfies a different part of me and I think the R8 will satisfy a different part of the OP then his Ford.

One things for sure though, no car I've ever had the pleasure of driving came close to the VIP treatment I got when pulling the GT40 into a show or petrol station. You want Rock Star treatment then get a rare GT 40 and stand back! But be prepared to feel exhausted after a session of spirited driving in that beast.

#32 ·
I have a 2015 V8 MT. For me, it doesn't have quite enough acceleration compared to other cars. I still absolutely love the car. For me it isn't about the off the line speed. I have had 1 ticket too many for racing a few years back that encourages me to not drag race the cars next to me. It is about the look of the car. The sound of the V8. The refinement of the fit and finish of the car. I get more thumbs up driving this car and genuine enthusiasm from other drivers and pedestrians than I would have ever imagined. Cars will continue to go faster and faster. Technology will always advance. This car is about celebrating Audi's racing heritage and enjoying their first supercar. This model is no longer in production so supply is limited.

#34 ·
Must admit the statement ' neither car are renowned for their speed' had me smiling, the V10 is still a quick car, the V8 is a wonderful car to own and drive but is slightly lacking in the hp stakes these days

#37 ·
Skilly is very accurate in his description of owning the V8. If acceleration is your largest concern, then the V8 will likely not be a good choice for you. A fantastic car in every way, but it is not the fastest car in most neighborhoods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.