Audi R8 Forums banner

New Video of our redesigned R8 V10 exhaust

10K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Fabspeed_Motorsport 
#1 · (Edited)
New Video of Fabspeed R8 V10 Supersport X-Pipe Exhaust System

A local customer was nice enough to drop his car off for a day to let us make a new, better video of our redesigned R8 V10 Supersport exhaust. The sound is still hard to accurately capture, without hearing it in person I think this is about as close the the "real thing" as you can get. If anyone has questions, please post here, PM me, Email me, or call me.

Enjoy!

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
Judging by the pictures and the price, no.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. Would be very interested if it was valved

#6 ·
Honestly, this system is the best sounding i've heard. And in all honesty, people don't keep valves closed very often and its another part to fail. Some people have had issues with valves seizing. This system is certainly quite enough to roll around the neighborhood late at night without waking everyone but a monster when you get on it.

#8 ·
Maybe they can do a group buy, or a free install they are only 1.5 hours from me

#9 · (Edited)
I do think the sound here is probably what I am looking for. Having just driven my car for the first time, I was surprised at how good it sounded stock, particularly with rumors of the 2015 being quieter than previous. On throttle is pretty fantastic. I am less optimistic that I will be able to drive this car daily, as it attracts more attention than I thought it would. But this may be too loud in cruise mode. However, this video makes it seem more sedate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwb_BhOhIl4

Can anyone tell me: in just regular driving, how much louder than stock? For reference, we have a Tubi on our RS4, and that is non-valved and fairly loud, but absolutely livable day to day and on the highway.

#16 ·
My question is actually in regard to performance. Is it true that having no valves reduces low end torque since we free up the back pressure. Normally i'm used to force inducted cars, so the more free flowing the better. I just want to hear it from a manufacture, and see if you guys have any dyno's of before and after. Thanks.

Vince

#18 ·
we have dyno'd quite a few and saw gains on all of them, the x-pipe eliminates the secondary cats, the primaries are prohibitively time consuming to R&R (engine out) and I have yet to see anyone with an LP gallardo or R8 v10 dyno their cars after headers (with no cats) to see if all the time involved translates to HP gains.

Dyno:
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server6...persport___06193.1405421816.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

#17 ·
I have always heard the cats are by far the most restrictive bit. I don't think it will make a noticeable difference in performance either way. I think you might notice the 40 pounds first, but on a 3400 pound car... maybe not.

#19 ·
All the info I needed to know. Thanks David. I'll probably put in a order soon. I'm fighting hard to not mod the car since I have a warranty. But that noise is intoxicating.

#22 ·
@David with Fabspeed ... I've got a few questions.

1. At WOT .... is the loudness somewhere between an Acrapovic and Larini? Is it similar in loudness to the Capristo X-pipe?

2. I'm located in Arizona with 120 degree summers. How is your system insulated from displacing exhaust heat to the
surrounding plastic rear components?

3. Curious how your system sans valves costs almost 1/2 as much as the others mentioned above? I'm glad it is less, but curious how Fabspeed is able to offer such a product substantially less than the competition.

Thanks

#23 ·
Hi,

I have not heard the others you are mentioning so I can't say. you can reuse the OEM heat shield if you wish, so heat should be a non-issue (the xpipe having no mufflers would produce less heat compared to OEM as well).

We are currently looking at our pricing and raising it in certain areas, we have always been an excellent value across our product line, I can raise the price for you if that would make it more appealing :p

#27 ·
for the GT and cars witht he round tips inthe bumper its a single tip, for all the other R8s its quad.. you cant see them once the car is driven and they get dirty regardless though!

My question was: why do the other systems cost 2X as much, just because of a couple of valves?
I had a valved system from Capristo on my 355 (which did use the pre-existing bypass valve, so it's more similar to the Fabspeed in cost and complexity). When the valve was open, holy crap, it was unbelievable. When it was closed, not so much. I found I just wanted the thing wide open all the time. I think the best exhaust options are tuned for no drone, but are valveless. There is a lot of fun noise that comes from an exhaust when you are off the power. Rumbles and crackles and pops and such. You miss that if there are valves that close it down unless you are wailing on it. That's really why I went with the Fabspeed. It seems to be very similar in sound to the Capristo X-pipe, but 1/2 the money, no complex valves, no buttons to push or fobs to keep up with.
we did keep it simple, we offer valved systems for a few cars but the R8 sounded perfect with the simple x-pipe.. just like the LP gallardo's.

Hi David,

You have a PM.

Thanks
Thanks! PM'ing back now.

#30 ·
very happy with my Fabspeed x pipe system- exotic without drone, relatively quiet when not getting on it in the upper revs but awesome when you do

#33 ·
Please post up a complete dyno when you have time.
Include torque and maybe also A/F would be nice on a stock car.
Also RPM would be nice to see instead of MPH.
You have come all of this way, why not give us all the info on such a nice product.
Thanks
Nice job
Trev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.