Audi R8 Forums banner

Gmg race vs sport exhaust

7K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  taxdr1965 
#1 ·
Very close to getting a gmg exhaust. Can u guys chime in on the difference between the race and sport exhaust. Just worried the race version might be too loud. Seems like many people are fans of gmg, so can you give me a review of the race version? Also I have a gt wing coming, I guess I should put the exhaust in before I disable the rear wing?

#3 ·
On gmg website it shows 2 different exhaust.

#5 ·
So there is no difference?

#7 ·
Makes no sense. Why would they show 2 exhaust on their website?

#8 ·
When I bought a used GMG exhaust online last year, I contacted GMG because I also saw 2 different exhaust systems online, and I was told that there is only one system for the R8 V10. So unless this has changed in the last 18 months, I'm willing to bet they are the same exhaust.

Just go for it...I will personally guarantee you that you won't drive your car for the first time with the exhaust installed and regret your decision

#9 ·
This was built in 2011? Any difference?

#10 ·
According to GMG web site there are two systems. The Sport and Racing systems. Weight and claimed HP are listed the same for both.

The web site says the Racing System "utilizes a smaller race muffler with less packing to enhance and improve motorsport sound".

I like my Sport exhaust. When I have my wife with me I keep my shift points between 1800 and 2200 rpm and easy on the go pedal. That keeps her happy.:)

#12 ·
ok, so you guys have me convinced. Going for it.

#14 ·
Good man!!

If it was better weather out here, I would take a video for you. Come to think about it, I took a bunch of exhaust videos in the summer when I got my GoPro. I will upload to youtube tonight and post a link!

#15 ·
ok, so i called gmg. It seems there are two versions of the exhaust. One is a racing straight pipe version. Jerry from gmg emailed me and confirmed the exhaust I am getting is not the straight pipe version. He said those are super loud and have no muffler at all. Thanks for your help guys

#17 ·
Yes used, looks like this Exhaust manifold Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Auto part Muffler
Exhaust manifold Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Auto part Muffler

#18 ·
Looks identical to mine...so I guess we have the same one!

How much did you pick it up for?

#20 ·
Ok, it's in its way. My Audi guy will install for $600. I thought that was pretty fair. All in for under 3k. Pretty good deal.

#21 ·
Amazing deal!

I am in the process of uploading my youtube videos. I will post a new thread will them for those interested in the GMG.

#22 ·
Please load the videos

#24 ·
Just got the exhaust, looks exactly the same, so hopefully after talking to 3 people at gmg swearing up and down it will fit because it has a floating pin fitment. Whatever that means.

#26 ·
Finally! You got an exhaust after so much deliberation! I hope you like it. It is a good sounding exhaust though it is very loud IMHO. We await your thoughts post install!

#28 ·
lol I have an install date of 12/30/2014. You guys are right, after all that I get non-valved, pretty funny. I am assuming that I would never turn it off anyways. Plus I got a good deal. The best sounding stock exhaust I have heard lately is Jag F type, even though some of it is artificial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.