Twin Turbo Project

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 77 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo Project

Twin Turbo Project

Well took a half day and went over to Top Speed to see all the goodies that they ordered. Saw the turbos and everything so I guess I will officially start the thread. I know I am more into the data and building side of things and thought I would just share the journey with everyone. I officially drop the car off on Tuesday for them to start the project and I could not be happier with the team I chose to do the build. Great group of guys who are willing to do anything I am willing to throw at them and pay for I am pretty sure if I told them I wanted to go to the moon they would figure out a way to build something for me.

Going to strap on a pair of GT35s with a complete custom kit from Top Speed. Doing the Motech stand alone and boost by gears. I have no clue what the final numbers will look like but I am curious as anyone else. They have one of the best tuners and frabicators out there so it should be great.

I will post the base line dynos and all the other stuff as I get them from Top Speed. Looking foward to the project and I hope I dont bore you guys too much You all know I will test the hell out of this thing with the vbox, track, drag strip, and public roads when safe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Twin Turbo Project

This should prove interesting. Why is there no popcorn-eating smiley?
    David

2011 R8 5.2 | ADV.1 | H&R | K&N | Tubi

Gone and missed...

2009 R8 4.2 | 2009 C63 AMG | 2006 S4 | 1994 NSX | 1992 NSX

Yes please do this is going to be the best thread. If you don't mind me asking how much is the whole thing going to cost you with the stand alone & everything? You can pm me if you prefer. Thanks keep us posted with the build lease.

I wouldn't have gone for GT35s wouldn't they be a little bit laggy? i mean thats only 5 cylinders / 2.6 litres powering a fairly large turbo I would have gone for two GTX3076r for super quick spool. just my 2cents I look forwards to seeing the build.

How would these turbos compare to underground racings
    kit which most likely its exact copy of the kit they install
    On the gallardo which is proven....but very costly

Yeah the turbos are big but I am going for big HP Eventually going to build the engine but going with the stock engine for the time being and doing the stand alone and all of that up front. I will be the first to let you know I have no clue when it comes to turbos or stuff like that.

I think the GT35rs are fairly popular amongst all the kits out there. Not sure what UGR is using for their stage 3 though. They did mention when we build the engine we would have to get some bigger turbos.

I decided on the stand alone because it will be a lot easier to tune and the boost by gears will help keep the car on the road.

Not really sure what I got myself into but boy will it be fun
    Last edited by duhawks; 11-16-2012 at 06:28 PM.

according to UG they use custom Precision 62mm turbos the GT35 is a 68 I think. The GT35 is going to make big numbers surely over 1000hp.

Are you having the motor rebuilt or going stock? gearbox upgrade?

edit: too slow.

Going to stick with stock everything except for the turbo kit and see what that is like. I am sure will get bored with that in a month and then we will build the motor, crank the boost up, build the tranny and just hang on. There are plenty people out there at 1000 whp on stock internals.... I don't know if I would push it that far on the stock engine though. Supposedly the 5.2 L engines have beefier pistons and rods but I don't want to find out how strong...

Planning on taking the car out to the Texas Mile in March for sure.

I will get all the details on what we are doing first. We may be putting in fuel rails and bigger injectors and things too at first.
    Last edited by duhawks; 11-16-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duhawks View Post
    Going to stick with stock everything except for the turbo kit and see what that is like. I am sure will get bored with that in a month and then we will build the motor, crank the boost up, build the tranny and just hang on. There are plenty people out there at 1000 whp on stock internals.... I don't know if I would push it that far on the stock engine though. Supposedly the 5.2 L engines have beefier pistons and rods but I don't want to find out how strong...

Planning on taking the car out to the Texas Mile in March for sure

I will get all the details on what we are doing first. We may be putting in fuel rails and bigger injectors and things too at first.
    This is going to be a great journey for us all:

Really looking forward to all your posts along the way.

Your indepth data posts are going to fascinating.

2011 R8 V10 COUPE | PHANTOM BLACK PEARL | A.W.E. SWITCHABLE VALVE EXHAUST |H&R SPRINGS | K&N AIR FILTERS | SPRINTBOOSTER |6 SPEED MANUAL

I HANG OUT HERE
    http://www.brisbanesupercarclub.com.au/articles/

RECENT LOVES
    R8 2010 V10 SPYDER
    R8 2008 V8 COUPE
    2010 Nissan R35 Mod GTR

Will be very interesting to see

Did they give you a time frame?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements