Audi R8 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

APR R8 Stage III+ Supercharger System now R-Tronic Compatible!

18K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Blu Bull 
#1 ·

After months of additional testing, APR is pleased to announce the Stage III+ TVS1740 Supercharger System is fully compatible with the R-Tronic transmission.

In the factory form, Audi’s high revving FSI V8 can leave much to be desired compared to some of the latest technological advances brought forth by Quattro GmbH in recent years. The APR Stage III+ TVS1740 Supercharger System fills the void by adding an average of roughly 46% more horsepower and torque across the entire power band. The results are nothing short of amazing; taking the R8 from 425 horsepower to 642 horsepower on pump fuel and 689 horsepower on race fuel without breaking a sweat! With 550 FT-LBS on tap thanks to the TVS1740’s positive displacement supercharger, expect instant acceleration with absolutely no lag commonly associated with other forms of forced induction.

To read more about the system and all of the included components, power, acceleration results, and more, please visit our product page:

http://www.goapr.com/products/stage3plus_r8_42fsi.html

See less See more
1 3
#4 ·
Pretty cool and all, but by the time you install the supercharger and related hardware (upgrade to clutch, fuel pumps, etc.) you get to the performance of the V10 basically and it costs about $30k or so. Pretty steep when the cost between the 2 cars used is only about $15k-$20k or so when comparing 2012s for example. Handling might be arguably better with lower overall weight and better distribution, but pretty high cost of entry I think.

#8 ·
Good discussion guys!

There's a lot to consider here. The R8 used market is getting less and less each day on the V8 front, and given the age of the vehicle, I know there are many of you who've paid it off at this point, still love the car, and want more. If that's you, then the supercharger is worth a look.

We haven't had our clutch fail yet, and it's still stock. But, I agree, you'll want to keep in mind you'll need to upgrade it at some point.

As for power, there's no comparison. Here's output on our dyno to the wheels from the supercharged R8 and the standard V10.

Look at the difference in the midrange. It's massive! +150 AWHP and +150 AWFT-LBS of torque over the V10. I'll take that with a smile. :)

And, let's not forget insurance prices between the two are quite different. Not to mention buying a whole new car vs upgrading your existing one. Just buying a V10 isn't always an option.

I said "performance" not output. 0-60 3.6s on 93 octane for both.
0-60 on an R8 means very little. They are hard to launch off the line which is why you always see the lambo guys doing full on rolling races and never from a dig. I'm sure we could get the numbers down, but it's really hard to get traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.