Gearbox malfunction - Please advice

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox malfunction - Please advice

Exclamation Gearbox malfunction - Please advice

Hey everybody,

I have a 2008 Audi R8, i went out in a cruise tonight and stepped on the pedal several of times against a mercedes E63, 20 minutes after that i parked to get some food and kept the engine running. When I came back I tried to reverse the car and it was not moving. (the car is not moving in reverse or drive). A warning message (Gearbox Malfunction) appeared.

I shut off the engine and kept the car to cool down for 20 minutes, i started the engine again and this time i could not put the gear on D or R, it stayed on neutral and the Gearbox Malfunction message kept appearing.

The car is now towed to the dealer.

I tried googling this issue but could not find anything, i really hope is isnt something expensive.

Please advice, ill appreciate your help.

PS: the car already done 61,000 km

UPDATE: Just came back from the dealer and it's a clutch issue, the clutch wear measure was at 1327 (its suppose to be between 3000 - 8000, the higher the number the more it wears/any number outside this range means you need to replace the clutch).

UPDATE 2: I ordered the clutch (Part Number 079141011E), Bearing (086141671D), seals, bolts and 4 brake pads from Audi Henderson Parts for $2848. All of these parts at my local dealer was for $5220. I think the shipping from USA to Bahrain will cost me $400

UPDATE 3: The parts arrived today and I verified it with the dealer, all parts are ok. They will start working on my car tomorrow morning

UPDATE 4: I received my car from the dealer last night and took it for a ride, everything seems alright and the shifting of the gear is smooth. I'll give you guys the final update after using the car for 3 more days

UPDATE 5: Car is smooth and drives perfectly, I guess this case is now closed

Case Closed
    Last edited by mrayes; 06-05-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Final Update

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Gearbox malfunction - Please advice

There are two threads that I posted on this issue. One in June of 2010. There are two sensors on the gearbox that must agree with each other. If they do not agree you will get the "gearbox malfunction". One of these sensor probably stopped working. Mine was covered under warranty. Audi knows about this issue so they MAY fix it under MFG warranty. It is a cheap sensor, but expensive install.
    '04 A8L and '09 R8 R-Tronic, Ice Silver, Limestone Grey, Carbon Side-blades, Engine and Interior, Premium package, B&O, Upgrade leather, Navigation Plus

I had exactly the same after some spirited testing of the Heffner TT hardware. It was the fuse that had been dislodged. Best of luck with yours.

Thank you for your replies guys, i really hope its not something very expensive like the clutch or the gearbox itself

Anyone knows why this happens? ive changed a sensor in the gear few months ago but the car was moving normally. Now its not moving at all

If you hit a large rut in the road whilst playing with the Merc that could be enough to dislodge or even break the fuse. No drama to replace. Sometimes it can be the simplest things ...

Thanks for your posts Saigon, its Friday here in the middle east and the dealer is closed. They will be open tomorrow and ill keep you updated.

I really hope its only the fuse, one of my friends faced the same problem and the dealer told him it was the clutch (Part+Labor costs around $4,300 here)

I really appreciate your feedback guys, Thank you again

UPDATE: Just came back from the dealer and it's a clutch issue, the clutch wear measure was at 1327 (its suppose to be between 3000 - 8000, the higher the number the more it wears).

R-tronic or MT6?

Here in the States, Audi is supposedly replacing the R-tronic clutches free the first time. Don't know if that's going to be the case in Bahrain, though. Worth the ask.

It's the exact same clutch regardless of whether it's an R-tronic or MT6. Don't know if it would be worth while to upgrade to a V10 clutch or not being that it's a wear issue. (and not sure if you can talk the dealership into it either)

Great F1 race there in Bahrain, btw. One of the best I've seen in a while - GO KIMI!!! The Iceman cometh!
    Yellow Dog Racing
    2011 Samoa Orange V8 R-tronic

Quote Originally Posted by KfabR8 View Post
    R-tronic or MT6?
    You know better than that - only the R-Tronic has a clutch position sensor and thus a wear indication.
    Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.
    When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. - Alain Prost

2012 R8 GT 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 4.2 6MT | 2008 TT 3.2 6ST | 2004 S4 Avant 4.2 6MT | 2001 S4 Competition 2.7TT 6MT

Ah, now I do know. I wasn't aware of this. (or just never paid attention.... the more likely answer )
    Yellow Dog Racing
    2011 Samoa Orange V8 R-tronic

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements