Brake fluid intervals

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake fluid intervals

Brake fluid intervals

I'm tempted to have my brake fluid changed as my garage is going to be removing the trim over the reservoir to replace a wind seal. The car is less than 3 years old and I have no softness in the pedal but it seems like a good opportunity. Audi say the fluid doesn't need changing for 3 years from new but subsequently every 2 years. Does anyone know why the variation in schedule?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    Last edited by baradona; 04-29-2012 at 11:21 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Brake fluid intervals

Changing it out is never a bad idea. Even as well sealed as modern automotive brake systems are, humidity (water) can work it's way into the system which is what degrades the brake fluid.

Brake fluid (other than DOT5 - the silicone stuff) is glycol-based and hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs water. Adding water lowers the boiling point of the fluid, which can lead to fad and loss of braking power as the system gets hot - not a good thing at all!

Get your garage to put Motul RBF 600 in it and you'll have a happy brake system.

Bleeding the system is readily accomplished by using a pressure bleed system - you feed the res from a pressurized bottle that forces all the old fluid out of the system. A pressurized bleeding also helps get the ABS module's fluid flushed.

Start at the wheel closest to the master cylinder first (would be the front right on a right hand drive vehicle), doing the inner bleeder first then the outer bleeder. Next would be the the left front, then right rear and finally left rear (always doing the inner then outer bleeders).

The fluid will change color as the new stuff comes in - can be quite subtle but a good eye will notice the change as the old stuff gets pushed out and the new stuff arrives.
    Yellow Dog Racing
    2011 Samoa Orange V8 R-tronic

Thanks kfab. I'm using Audi so will have to talk them into using something non-standard - try don't even want to put V10 air deflectors on for the brakes "in case a stone is deflected into the brake" and I crash! Is the service period on Motul the same as Audi's generic fluid?

I was wondering whether the reason for the longer first interval is guaranteed fresh / uncorrupted fluid from the factory vs the open can at the dealer's (!).

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Resurrecting an old thread.

My car is up for brake fluid change. What is the quantity I need to buy?

Also, I noticed that sellers of Motul RBF 600 it's not to be used on street cars, only racing cars, why? makes no sense to me. In any case our R8s are not exactly normal street cars.

Thanks
    Last edited by M3R8; 11-06-2012 at 02:42 AM.

I just did a brake fluid "heavy bleed", but not necessarily a full flush. I used just under two pints of RBF 600. I'm guessing a full exchange might take twice that? -- Okay, I just looked it up and the official stated capacity of the brake system on a 2010 R8 is 1.0L (1.1 qt) of DOT4 fluid.
    Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.
    When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. - Alain Prost

2012 R8 GT 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 4.2 6MT | 2008 TT 3.2 6ST | 2004 S4 Avant 4.2 6MT | 2001 S4 Competition 2.7TT 6MT

Thanks desperado. How about the RBF600, is it also recommended for a car that's not being tracked at all?

The RBF 600 will be fine. I don't think there is anything about "good" brake fluid which would make it less suited for a daily driver than an "okay" brake fluid. They all "meet or exceed" the DOT 4 requirements.

You can spend from USD$7/qt(lt) to $80/pint(500ml) for brake fluid. In return you get increasing wet boiling point. This can be important with the very high brake temperatures reached on the track.

For a car which is never tracked, you would be fine with a standard or medium grade of fluid. A good value compromise between the two ends of the spectrum is the ATE brake fluid, available in two colors with the same/similar properties: Type 200 (amber) and Super Blue Racing. Alternating between the two colors at each flush gives a clear indicator of when the new fluid has reached the caliper.
    Last edited by desperado; 11-10-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.
    When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. - Alain Prost

2012 R8 GT 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 4.2 6MT | 2008 TT 3.2 6ST | 2004 S4 Avant 4.2 6MT | 2001 S4 Competition 2.7TT 6MT

9. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements