Audi R8 Forums banner

Help: High oil temp, no warning lights

17K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  jschrauwen 
#1 ·
Hey so i just got done driving the car for about 20 min and noticed right torwards the end my oil temp gauge was creeping up on the 300 red line (it was pretty close), nothing i could tell out of the ordinary besides that, no noises, no lights nothing. Its also sub 40 degrees here. Anyone have any thots on what it could be b4 i run to stealership?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Ok jus drove it again to give more diagnosis:

Starts getting warmer when driving mid speed 35-55, got cooler when jumping to interstate speeds 70-80, gets slightly cooler when sitting still, wont touch the 300 line, any thots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Try washing the radiators in the front of the car (gotta remove the bumper to do it properly) and in the rear wheel arches (taking the wheels off, of course).

#13 ·
So after checking what you told me to, found out everything was good, dropped it off at the dealer and they couldnt find anything either so mayb it was just a glitch in the matrix, will find out in the future (hopefully wont have to)

Thanks for all the replies though

#15 ·
Shouldve updated this sooner, but anyway, im gona give the full details and then assess:

Needle started acting up again, take car in to Audi. They determined that oil temp sensor was faulty by running the car and testing temps with an infrared thermometer that the oil temp level was absolutely fine. $522 for new oil temp sensor, sensor in, now supposedly the oil temp is actually going higher than it should. Tested with the infrared again on both the oil and the coolant. Coolant temp going in and out was fine, oil temp now high. I sense in their tone of voice from last phone call yesterday that they really have no idea what could be causing it... any ideas? Only mention from them on possible fix is a thermostat that is behind some flat plate??

#18 · (Edited)
Sh*t... i just had a thought... my math was right earlier with the degrees conversion from Celsius to Fahrenheit but not visually in my head, 255 F is the 3/4 marker on the oil temp gauge which is ~125 C. My car ever since i bought is has run on average a lil below the 125 C/255 F mark. So its technically reading below/back to that same spot... So i guess my question now is what is the average running temp for these cars? and should i worry/is it a problem if my car runs at this range? (115C) Its an 08

#20 ·
Yea my car has always run a little below the 3/4 mark, like 2/3 the way up from the half mark to the 3/4. It never actually gets to the 125 mark tho. I was looking through old records on here and I found a thread that says that the V8s do run a little hotter?

#25 ·
But I don't think its the actual temp? Since it drops down to regular every so often, even when the driving style doesn't change.. today I've kept it under 4000rpm the whole day, and still it went up and down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Chances are it is. You have a heat exchanger oil cooler on that and although it not the most efficient it is very stable.

I would also expect to see coolant temps rise if your oil temps were getting to 150 degrees.

I see that in summer after 20 laps on our TA car......but never on the road! Even the TT R8 didn't get that high on the dyno after being mapped all day.

Cheers Ricky

#33 ·
Ok thats where i measured.. not familiar with the word haha.. I used a lazer temperature measurer(?) that I got to borrow from the dealers, and it showed just below 60 degrees celsius when in the instrument cluster it showed 110ish.. but they told me it wouldn't show the actual temperature? I couldn't get the car to heat up like it did yesterday and the day before. And today I kinda tried.. but just now when going to the store it started to rise again.. so seems the temp sensor is not working properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.