Full body vinyl wrap

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Full body vinyl wrap

Full body vinyl wrap

For those with a full body vinyl wrap, how durable is it from rock chips?
    I currently have a full xpel ultimate done, but I'm thinking of changing
    the color of the car. I'm worried with just the wrap, rock chips will tear put holes
    in the wrap and will eventually chip the paint.

Note: I will also be tracking the car this summer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Full body vinyl wrap

I have a full body wrap using vinyl from 3M. it's a little thicker than the normal wrap as I've a matt laminate on the top. It's proven to be very durable for rock chips - I have none, despite many track days (25+) since I had it installed
    2011 Audi R8 V10 MT; Sepang Blue with matching blade and engine vents, matt wrap; Stasis SuperCharger #12; Stasis brake rotors
    2009 Porsche Cayman S MT (gone)
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (gone)
    2004 Aston Martin Vanquish SDP Works Service MT (gone)
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8 MT (gone)

You can vinyl wrap on top of your Xpel PPF and get double the protection. My car is entirely wrapped in clear PPF and when I wanted a change of color, the installer suggested I keep the clear wrap and just add the vinyl wrap on top.

So far I have 1 chip on the vinyl so it seems to be quite durable. Some installers even wrap a clear PPF on top of vinyl wraps for extra protection. They usually do that with chrome wraps.

But in your case, since you already have a full PPF, having 2 more layers might be too much.
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V8 - Satin Pearl White - GT Wing/Canards - Custom Tcu Tune - SprintBooster - Carbonio CF Air Intake - Milltek Exhaust - Clearplex - Hawk Performance Ceramic - Airplay AV - Michelin PSS.

You basic vinyl job won't add mush protection.

I was told by my installer of the PPF that it is not recommended to install the vinyl wrap on top of the PPF since its harder to adhere to.

No problem with adhesion of the vinyl wrap on top of my PPF wrap. I use car wash places with high pressure jet with no issues.

Maybe talk to another wrap shop for a second opinion. Really would be a waste to remove your full Xpel wrap just to change color.
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V8 - Satin Pearl White - GT Wing/Canards - Custom Tcu Tune - SprintBooster - Carbonio CF Air Intake - Milltek Exhaust - Clearplex - Hawk Performance Ceramic - Airplay AV - Michelin PSS.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieR8 View Post
    No problem with adhesion of the vinyl wrap on top of my PPF wrap. I use car wash places with high pressure jet with no issues.

Maybe talk to another wrap shop for a second opinion. Really would be a waste to remove your full Xpel wrap just to change color.
    Fully agree with howie. Go to a different wrapper...
    Get Expl on the critical parts for stone chips first and over it a vinyl wrap. like this perfect protection and no problem, had it on all my race cars like this till last year and still on the challenge mini. On supercritical parts like e.g. the rear side wheel arches on the BMW 1M I used additional temporarly the blue tape over the vinyl wrap for track use.

Now I use a non branded plasti dip plus plasti Dip clear coat on the racers as it is much cheaper, faster and I can paint the parts in my workshop. Looks good enough for a track tool and keeps costs down...
    Last edited by Helldriver; 01-13-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helldriver View Post
    Fully agree with howie. Go to a different wrapper...
    Get Expl on the critical parts for stone chips first and over it a vinyl wrap. like this perfect protection and no problem, had it on all my race cars like this till last year and still on the challenge mini. On supercritical parts like e.g. the rear side wheel arches on the BMW 1M I used additional temporarly the blue tape over the vinyl wrap for track use.

Now I use a non branded plasti dip plus plasti Dip clear coat on the racers as it is much cheaper, faster and I can paint the parts in my workshop. Looks good enough for a track tool and keeps costs down...
    Nice, i've always wondered how plastidip works. But yes thank you everyone for your feedback. I'll get a second opinion from another installer

10. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread