Audi R8 Forums banner

CAR UK: 488 vs 570S vs R8 V10 Plus -1of3

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  RTC 
#1 ·
'Not really a fair fight when considering and comparing prices. Useful, nonetheless.

And CAR magazine now wants registration (and revenue) to view its full online reviews ... https://t.co/i6SXDPlnGG ...

A bit less than ideal, what follows are photographed pages of the lengthy print edition review:

(1-4 of 12)

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
In a more comparable review with standardized measurements (driver plus full fuel tank), the Ferrari 488 GTB did 0-200 kph (125 mph) in 8.9 seconds, the new Audi R8 V10 Plus in 9.5 seconds and the Lamborghini Huracan in 9.3 seconds as far as I remember. So the difference is not really that big.
Saw various comparisons between a R8 V10 Plus and a Huracan and both cars were basically driving one next to each other, without one of them gaining an inch up to 250 kph.

From 0-300 kph however, things seem to look a bit different: The Ferrari gains aprox. 4 seconds over the new R8 V10 Plus and the Huracan seems to be a tiny bit slower than the R8 V10 Plus, aprox. half a second or so, which is not really much.

So if you plan to do a lot of 200+ kph (125 mph) driving, the 488 GTB may be the better choice but it sounds less impressive than the new R8 V10 Plus, the turbo technology the Ferrari asks for a tribute.

Regarding the 570S, in a standardized review, the 570S did 0-160 kph (100 mph) in 6.2 seconds. So did the new Audi R8 V10 Plus (actually, the R8 was 0.1 seconds faster). So in real life, there is basically no difference between these cars.

For me, as someone living in Germany, the Audi R8 has the advantage that it is less "exotic" and flashy compared to a Ferrari or McLaren and I have much better possibilities and easier access to maintenance or repairs, if needed.

#5 ·
r1. thanks for posting! great read. the R8 is amazing- as fast as the 488 and realistically more reliable long term and more durable on track too (assuming no major change from the cheap underbody bits on the 458).

#6 · (Edited)
Unfortunately I think the R8 of this generation is going to struggle to make its mark. The competition is fierce and Audi did not do enough to change the game - they took zero risks. Don't get me wrong, I would consider one but I just think they could have done more. My opinion.

#8 ·
mclaren is good, but theory and reality are two different things. cars of low volume tend to hide ownership problems from being disseminated. i hope i am wrong, but reliability remains to be seen for this car. it also lags in the interior execution and quality. the 458 was notorious for overheating on track and the under aero gets ripped apart with road debris. big plus for it's included maintenance for 4 years. but on track/real life many an owner has been disappointed one too many times.

the R8 is rock solid on track and daily use. it is one heavy duty vehicle for sure.

#9 ·
Makes sense. The Ferrari is more car for more money.

I was surprised that this generation of R8 didn't come with the twin-turbo V8 of the RS7 and Bentley Continental. They could have easily produced the power Ferrari is and kept the price point they have.

From what I've experienced the McLaren is also quite a bit more expensive comparably equipped so...

#17 ·
The performance of the R8 V10 Plus and the McLaren 570s is basically the same.
In my opinion, the R8 V10 Plus has the nicer interior and the virtual ****pit is really nice as well.
Over here in Germany, the R8 V10 Plus is heavily discounted at many dealerships. Cars which have a MSRP of around 210k EUR, usually sell for 170-180k EUR, sometimes new with 0 mileage, sometimes with very little mileage and maybe a couple of months old (dealer test cars).
I got mine, MSRP 213k EUR, for 176k EUR. Including the warranty extension for another three years.
For this kind of money, I could never get a 570S over here but even more important, I have Audi dealerships at basically every corner in Germany and many of them are R8 certified. So if I have an issue or need a repair/part, it happens pretty quickly.
With a McLaren, this can take weeks to get the part and not always McLaren has a car they can provide, especially after an accident or whatever.
I prefer going with Audi because it is easier to maintain in my opinion but of course I can speak for the German car market only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.