NO more wind buffeting -- Best $30 and 30 minutes to spend on your R8!!!

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: NO more wind buffeting -- Best $30 and 30 minutes to spend on your R8!!!

NO more wind buffeting -- Best $30 and 30 minutes to spend on your R8!!!

Do you like the drive with the windows down?

Do you find it's annoying that any speed over 50 MPH you get some annoying sounds from the wind in the cabin?

Well NO MORE!!! For $30 and 30 minutes of your time it's gone.

Kudos to MAR8 for showing me how to do this. It's buried in a different thread about track days posted here but this is definitely deserving of it's own thread. I slightly tweaked his directions but the original thread I linked just above. The areas I edited/added I put in BOLD.

Buffet Buster install guide!

Here is what you want: Wiper blade is about $20 and the tape is around $8. I am figuring everyone else has the remaining tools. Unlike his guide I used a sharpie pen instead of a pencil to mark the cutting on the 3M tape.

You can source this wiper at Advanced Autoparts. Buy this length and you’ll have plenty of wiper for both sides. If you can’t find this wiper, any good wiper with an airfoil will do. You’ll just find that some are not solid rubber like this one and are molded in an arc to form the airfoil, like this:

Just build up a couple layers with the tape to fill the void and don’t cut the slots off. The rest of this guide still applies. Personally for mine I just used one layer of 3M tape on my car (Ara Blue Crystal photos at bottom).

Start by removing the end caps with needle nose pliers.

Then slide the airfoil out.

You’ll see there are slots on each side of the airfoil. Carefully cut them off to create a good flat surface for the tape to adhere to. I like this wiper because the width is identical to the width of the tape. This process is a bit time consuming. I used a mix of a scissor and the razor to try and get it to look nice. I also filed it down as well to make it smooth..

Go ahead and apply the tape, leaving the outside still covered.

Now you can head to the car to make some pencil marks that will determine the angles to cut. Open the hood for this. You’ll see that there is a natural line on the bottom of the A pillar trim. Use that as a guide and mark the airfoil. I did not install it where he installed it. He installed it on the actual paint trim which required opening the hood. This is optional. I also did not use a pencil but rather a sharpie on the actual red area of the 3M tape to mark where to cut. I cut the piece a tad larger than necessary so I could simply trim it down and test fit the part. See photo with the arrows as to where I put mine compared to his

Using the utility knife, cut the end to match the marks.

Now do the same with the top part. Make sure you have the bottom lined up and then mark the top. I like to follow the line created by the window triangle trim piece. Cut it and test fit to ensure your angles are spot on.

Carefully peel the protective layer off using the utility knife. Don’t pry the very top. Pry the lower portion of the angle to maintain a better adherence in that tiny top corner.

Head back to the car and wipe the trim so you have a clean surface for the tape. Carefully affix it to the trim.

Close the hood and see if you need to trim anything. I needed to cut a small little section for a perfect fit.

You’re done! Repeat on the other side and enjoy buffet free driving!

For my final set of directions, I started installing the piece from the TOP and worked my way down. I only pulled off a small piece of the 3M tape to get it to stick on the top. I then gently tugged the 3M tape downward allowing me to slowly mold the airfoil onto the body panel. My final product is as seen below. You can use the first one you made as a guide to quickly make the second piece. The second piece is essentially a mirror image of the first. .

2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus Ara Blue Crystal
    Larini Club Sport Exhaust
    10.8 @ 128 MPH (60' 1.68) - Stock
    10.6 @ 130 MPH (60' 1.66) - Exhaust+Pilot 4S Tires

2018 Audi RS7 Performance
    Mythos Black

Milltek non-resonated Exhaust. Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: NO more wind buffeting -- Best $30 and 30 minutes to spend on your R8!!!

Excellent instructions. Thanks for this!
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V10 S-Tronic - Brilliant Red - Fire Red PPF -
    SprintBooster - Clearplex - Android AV - Michelin PS4S.

Very nice. I also like the part you installed on the black mirror housing so it works for all other colors.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks for cross posting this for me! It looks great on the triangular window trim. Nice option for any color car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 R8 V10:
    Mythos Black, Vermont Brown, VFE Tune, Girodisc Rotors, CF Blades, Engine and Steering Wheel, Pedal Box+, BC Forged 19" RZ10, Audi 20" 10-spoke in Anthracite and Sunken Treasure Bronze
    2012 TTRS:
    Daytona Grey, Stage 2 GIAC tune, AWE FMIC, AWE SwitchPath Exhaust, 034 CF CAI, 034 Street Density mounts, MSS Sport Springs, H&R RSB, Girodisc rotors, HPA haldex controller, CF steering wheel and mirrors, Rear seat delete, HRE 19" P40's, TSW 18" Interlagos, Borbet 18" LV5's

Awesome thank you!!!

Cool trick, but all you need to do is just roll the window up a couple inches. Not a big deal. Better then taping a hacked up windshield wiper off the side of your $200K car.

Excellent DIY, thanks!

This trick should work with first gen right?

Shardul, do you want to make those wind defectors for the R8?
    2012 Audi R8 V10 - Titanium package - TCU tuned - Kline exhaust

Driving around a track with a partially open window is like leaning on a guillotine that's ready to drop.

I'd rather have a hacked up windshield wiper than a hacked up body part.

Quote Originally Posted by kpg81 View Post
    Cool trick, but all you need to do is just roll the window up a couple inches. Not a big deal. Better then taping a hacked up windshield wiper off the side of your $200K car.
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V10 S-Tronic - Brilliant Red - Fire Red PPF -
    SprintBooster - Clearplex - Android AV - Michelin PS4S.

Quote Originally Posted by kpg81 View Post
    More like rolling it up more than halfway. I've tried multiple positions with no success in terms of window positions that are anywhere near close to being mostly open. On a 200k car I'm surprised this wasn't hashed out in R&D for Audi. Even the Porsche 911 another pricey car same issue. Yet my GT-R at half the price and my half price C7 and C6 Vettes I had before this was a non-issue with wind buffeting. Basic window functioning on a 2 door car should have basic function of windows rolled down all the way and be buffeting-free. I get it on a 4 door/4 window car things are a bit more challenging but a simple 2 door/2 window car that's unacceptable. I find on the actual black triangle body part it certainly does not look like some hacked on product in person. It looks like a part of the OEM trim.

Now the AWE parts available for Porsche (and it seems like soon to be us) looks like some tacked on piece and is glaringly obvious on the car. In addition, no respect to MAR8, but on the actual door trim I think it looks a bit more obvious like a tacked on part. Installing on the black triangle trim piece it looks OEM to me. If this doesn't look OEM I don't know what to tell ya...to each their own. My photo below I think it blends in nicely.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 04-22-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus Ara Blue Crystal
    Larini Club Sport Exhaust
    10.8 @ 128 MPH (60' 1.68) - Stock
    10.6 @ 130 MPH (60' 1.66) - Exhaust+Pilot 4S Tires

2018 Audi RS7 Performance
    Mythos Black

Milltek non-resonated Exhaust. Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast