Michelin AO or non AO?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michelin AO or non AO?

Michelin AO or non AO?

Hi, I'm changing my tires to Michelin PS4S and have seen on here many others have done the same but are people just using the regular PS4S or the AO homologated tire?

Is there much difference between them?

Thanks,

Nate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Michelin AO or non AO?

I have non AO PS4S's and find them superb.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

Me too, non AO no problem.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Without inside information or thorough side by side testing it's impossible to determine the difference between a standard tyre and a homologated tyre. Very little info is published for the general public. In this case there is little or no price difference between them, so I'd probably go for the AO tyre - they come standard now on the 2019 facelift. Your car is fairly new so if for any reason you sell it back to an Audi main dealer, then an Audi homologated tyre will have some value, even if you don't feel it on the road. If they sell it as a Used Approved, then I'm fairly sure it will need AO / RO1 tyres fitted.

Something rather odd though is that the AO tyre has a poorer wet grip rating (B) and poorer economy (E) rating than the non-AO tyre (A / C). I asked Michelin why this would be the case but never received a solid answer - only that the AO tyre was their recommendation based on the thorough manufacturer approval process.

It looks like the RO1 / RO2 homologations are being phased out and replaced with AO across the Audi range.

Michelin AO or non AO?-gen2.1-5.jpg

Can someone please explain what is AO?

AO stands for Audi Option. (MO Mercedes, N Porsche, K Ferrari...see list in link below) It means that the tyre has gone through a testing process by the car manufacturer in a number of categories. In some cases the tyres may be exactly the same as the non-homologated versions, in some cases they are not e.g. the older RO1 tyres for the Gen1 had a narrower shoulder. There are normally only two or three tyres approved for each size, e.g. on the gen2 20" tyres the following are approved :- PZero (the newer PZ4), Michelin PS4S and Michelin PSC2.

Personally I think the homologation process is of more value to the tyre manufacturer than the customer, but I'm open to others opinions. I have a C class which had MO approved PZeros fitted as standard - they were the worst tyre I have ever owned - extremely hard riding, poor life and I had a catastrophic failure of a front tyre at less than 9,000 miles. Similarly the PZeros on my gen1 were very brittle after just over 3 years and there was such a difference in every performance category when I changed them out to non-Audi approved Goodyear Eagle F1s.

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk...gs-advice.html

Quote Originally Posted by steve9 View Post
    AO stands for Audi Option. (MO Mercedes, N Porsche, K Ferrari...see list in link below) It means that the tyre has gone through a testing process by the car manufacturer in a number of categories. In some cases the tyres may be exactly the same as the non-homologated versions, in some cases they are not e.g. the older RO1 tyres for the Gen1 had a narrower shoulder. There are normally only two or three tyres approved for each size, e.g. on the gen2 20" tyres the following are approved :- PZero (the newer PZ4), Michelin PS4S and Michelin PSC2.

Personally I think the homologation process is of more value to the tyre manufacturer than the customer, but I'm open to others opinions. I have a C class which had MO approved PZeros fitted as standard - they were the worst tyre I have ever owned - extremely hard riding, poor life and I had a catastrophic failure of a front tyre at less than 9,000 miles. Similarly the PZeros on my gen1 were very brittle after just over 3 years and there was such a difference in every performance category when I changed them out to non-Audi approved Goodyear Eagle F1s.

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk...gs-advice.html
    Thank you very informative, thanks for taking the time to write this.

Sometimes it can be other details to the tire...back in the day the 03 RS6 required a very particular Michelin PS2 that was an Audi and RS6 specific tire...it did not have the wheel/rim protector on the inside edge like the normal PS2...if it had it the tire would rub against the front suspension on any turn in. When I switch out what came with my RWS it will be the PS4S audi version.
    2018 R8 RWS - Riviera Blue (Audi Exclusive)
    2012 R8 GT #275/333 - Suzuka Gray/Black
    2019 Q7 - Piedmont Red (Audi Exclusive)
    2011 S5 Cabriolet
    2000 TT NM #47/100
    1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    1960 Corvette Resto-mod
    Former: 03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 13 RS5, 14 RS7, 17 Q7

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe the AO have a slightly different compound that gives the variations in wet grip and economy.
    I have 2 sets of wheels one 19 inch that came with the car and have homologated tires on them so would put those back on if I ever sell it back to Audi and also have some 20's which is what I'm buying the Michelin's for.
    Considering how much it rains in the UK I'm leaning towards the non AO with better wet grip

I think AO means that Audi get ££ for every tyre sold and the tyre manufacturers sell more tyres. Only my theory!
    R8 Spyder Plus in vegas yellow with following extras: Phone Box Wireless charging, smartphone interface, contrast diamond seat stitching, Garage door opener, sports seats, comfort and sound pack.
    Audi A7 3.0 TDi 2011 130,000 miles
    Audi Q5 3.0 TDi 2014 60,000 miles

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast