Engine gunk.

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Engine gunk.

Engine gunk.

Lately I am wondering if should I use fuel additives on my V10 plus or stick with top tier gas? Any thoughts if is worth spending on fuel additives to keep engine clean from carbon residue?
    Any fuel chemist or engineer input appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Engine gunk.

Fuels additives won't unfortunately help with carbon build up. You're better off just using premium fuel and having a walnut blasting done at some point.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

As Trev said, an additive wont help as the fuel doesn't pass over the valves to aid cleaning, here's a simple video showing FSI system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIIoP2dz8E
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

So snake oil uh? Then I will stick with top tier gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis7 View Post
    So snake oil uh? Then I will stick with top tier gasoline.
    And drive it like you stole it as often as you can!!!!!!!!!!
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    And drive it like you stole it as often as you can!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you but I can't, last time I drove it like I stole it I ended up committing Assault and battery causing serious bodily injury to the owner of the car.

Not sure about Gen I cars, but I do know that the Gen II R8s have both direct and port fuel injection. I really like that because that means a high quality additive like Techron will help to keep the valves cleaner. My Porsche is DI only and I wonder about the condition of carbon build up on the valves.

Its confusing all the information out there, so does it work or not? I just noticed that when I use Premium from top tier gas station the engine on my 981 and Stinger run smoothly and more powerfully but did not notice any change on my R8....

Gen 2 shouldn’t suffer from this with the dual injection system. Things like Techron aren’t going to hurt anything and do help keep things clean like injectors and fuel sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 R8 V10:
    Mythos Black, Vermont Brown, VFE Tune, Girodisc Rotors, CF Blades, Engine and Steering Wheel, Pedal Box+, BC Forged 19" RZ10, Audi 20" 10-spoke in Anthracite and Sunken Treasure Bronze
    2012 TTRS:
    Daytona Grey, Stage 2 GIAC tune, AWE FMIC, AWE SwitchPath Exhaust, 034 CF CAI, 034 Street Density mounts, MSS Sport Springs, H&R RSB, Girodisc rotors, HPA haldex controller, CF steering wheel and mirrors, Rear seat delete, HRE 19" P40's, TSW 18" Interlagos, Borbet 18" LV5's

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis7 View Post
    Its confusing all the information out there, so does it work or not? I just noticed that when I use Premium from top tier gas station the engine on my 981 and Stinger run smoothly and more powerfully but did not notice any change on my R8....
    You don't say which generation your car is.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements