Transmission down shift hesitation


  1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

    Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!
     
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Transmission down shift hesitation

  1. #1
    Junior Member Raptor23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1
    2017 plus.when I'm in 7th gear and I hit the gas there's a long hesitation for it to down shift into gear.. anyone else notice this...
    Last edited by Raptor23; 06-19-2019 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Update..thank you all for your response...when does this I was in auto comfort..in sport it doesn't...it downshifts immediately...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Kayzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    209

    Re: Transmission down shift hesitation

    It depends on your driving habit. I have some douchey driving habits where what I do prior to the up/down shift that I then make is counter intuitive to the computer.

    Example: you do nice little pull from 2-4.5k rpm in 4th gear, then downshift (who would do that sh1t right?). The computer expects an upshift from you at this time considering you floored it from those revolutions and gained some speed, definitely not a downshift. The clutches were positioned in such a way as to give a seamless and instant upshift if you asked for it, but were not in the right position for a downshift.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    61

    Re: Transmission down shift hesitation

    Hold the downshift paddle for like 0.5 sec and it will downshift immediately to the lowest possible gear, then you can take off!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member R8MYRWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    326

    Re: Transmission down shift hesitation

    OP - what mode are you in when feeling this hesitation? In my Sport Auto there is no hesitation but in Comfort well its like grandad's Cadillac.
    2018 R8 RWS, White, Sport Seats, Rear wheel drive #895/999

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by R8MYRWS View Post
    OP - what mode are you in when feeling this hesitation? In my Sport Auto there is no hesitation but in Comfort well its like grandad's Cadillac.
    He's referring to Manual, auto has no issues, personally iv never driven mine in full auto, defears the object of the car in a way

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayzee View Post
    It depends on your driving habit. I have some douchey driving habits where what I do prior to the up/down shift that I then make is counter intuitive to the computer.

    Example: you do nice little pull from 2-4.5k rpm in 4th gear, then downshift (who would do that sh1t right?). The computer expects an upshift from you at this time considering you floored it from those revolutions and gained some speed, definitely not a downshift. The clutches were positioned in such a way as to give a seamless and instant upshift if you asked for it, but were not in the right position for a downshift.
    this is untrue, firstly thats not how the box works a dual clutch doesnt work in this way, on top of that it can hesitate coming down the rpm shifting down gear by gear and is usually only seen between 4th and 3rd and 3rd and 2nd, its a software issue that audi know about but isnt a case that is known by many dealers. There have been stories of changing the downshift paddle ciring the issue but when coding the new paddle in the gearbox software is flashed so appears the new paddle has fixed the issue but in reality its the updated software

  9. #7
    Member shabazmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    75

    Re: Transmission down shift hesitation

    I normally drive in Comfort mode and when flooring the accelerator, its a horrible experience. I took it to Audi who said that all cars do that. If I want to accelerate fast I use the manual mode. Let me know if you find a fix.
    R8 Spyder Plus in vegas yellow with following extras: Phone Box Wireless charging, smartphone interface, contrast diamond seat stitching, Garage door opener, sports seats, comfort and sound pack.
    Audi A7 3.0 TDi 2011 130,000 miles
    Audi Q5 3.0 TDi 2014 60,000 miles

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by shabazmo View Post
    I normally drive in Comfort mode and when flooring the accelerator, its a horrible experience. I took it to Audi who said that all cars do that. If I want to accelerate fast I use the manual mode. Let me know if you find a fix.
    Audi are correct, driving in comfort will have this affect as the tcu is in its most placid setting which is inteded for soft unspirited driving, either switch to dynamic if you want to stick to Auto or switch inyo manual, your issue is not the issue the OP is referring to, you are just driving the car in a way that comfort wasnt designed for

  11. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0