Alternative gear lever? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative gear lever?

Re: Alternative gear lever?

I like them both. Nice work. What is most annoying is that the + and - are opposite of bmw (and now porsche) for manual shifting. Altho with paddle extensions you really dont even need it

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by R_8cho View Post
    I like them both. Nice work. What is most annoying is that the + and - are opposite of bmw (and now porsche) for manual shifting. Altho with paddle extensions you really dont even need it
    That’s one of the reason why I’ve stopped using the lever all together.

I can open up the lower unit and try switching +/-. I am not sure if it is worth it though...

Quote Originally Posted by 2old4this View Post
    That’s one of the reason why I’ve stopped using the lever all together.

I can open up the lower unit and try switching +/-. I am not sure if it is worth it though...
    Not worth it and the fact that the +/- are still opposite on the trim piece would confuse me even more, lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Finally done with laminating the top cover with CF.

As usual with any CF work I do, it took longer than anticipated.

After removing the leather cover, I realized the top of the cover piece is actually some rubbery compound. Trimming it down to bare minimum took a little while (after all, one cannot send it down )

Then I wrapped it with 2x2 twill CF, and applied something like a billion layers of resin (seriously, I lost count how many layers, probably 8 to 10), while sanding and smoothing between the layers. Once I had the imperfections gone, i sanded the whole thing with 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 grit sand papers. As the last step, I used headlight-restorer from Meguiar (it really ends up with very clear looking results.)

I am kind of happy with the result, except, it looks more glassy than the OEM CF. Need to find a way to tone it down...

Alternative gear lever?-gearshift.jpg

7. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12