Anyone else have issue with CarPlay becoming inoperable?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Anyone else have issue with CarPlay becoming inoperable?

Anyone else have issue with CarPlay becoming inoperable?

Every time I plug my iPhone XR into the car ('18 V10+ Spyder), the CarPlay interface will appear in the center of the virtual dash screen, as normal. However, at some point (generally within five minutes or less), the area of the screen taken up by CarPlay simply turns black e.g. there's a big empty, black space in the virtual dash in between the gauges and other Audi-specific information on the screen. All of the CarPlay apps continue to function (music plays, turn-by-turn navigation continues, etc) but the display itself is black. Once that happens there seems to be no way to fix it aside from turning the car completely off and starting it again. After going blank it will occasionally reappear for a few seconds to few minutes, but then randomly go blank again.

Has anyone else experienced this? I asked the service manager at my dealership about it, and he said that Audi has received some similar reports regarding the issue, but doesn't know at all how long it will take for them to release a fix. He said it's also possible Apple might fix it, but as of the latest iOS 13 beta it still seems unresolved (the problem also occurred when my phone was running iOS 12 stable, so the beta isn't the issue). I've also tried multiple iPhone models and the issue occurs with all of them.

It's honestly quite disappointing to have such a critical (to me) feature entirely inoperable on a car costing this amount of money, and I've been waiting just over two months now since I bought the car for a fix to be released, yet still no word.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Anyone else have issue with CarPlay becoming inoperable?

I have the same issue and posted it on a different post. I stopped using CarPlay it became very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its generally an issue with the Iphone, they've always been finicky with connecting to anything but another Apple product. Most i know that have had issues with iphones on their Audis and BMWs find that when switching to an Android they dont have any issues afterwards

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Anyone else have issue with CarPlay becoming inoperable?

and I can add to it. Just had the recall/update done and picked up the car this evening and its just black...doesn't work at all in the center screen. Joy. New iPhone XS.
    2018 R8 RWS - Riviera Blue (Audi Exclusive)
    2012 R8 GT #275/333 - Suzuka Gray/Black
    2019 Q7 - Piedmont Red (Audi Exclusive)
    2011 S5 Cabriolet
    2000 TT NM #47/100
    1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    1960 Corvette Resto-mod
    Former: 03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 13 RS5, 14 RS7, 17 Q7

7. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements