Anyone get scared driving their R8

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone get scared driving their R8

Anyone get scared driving their R8

By scared I mean your adrenal glands squirt some epinephrine and your pupils dilate like youre at the eye doctor. Ive never been scared in an automatic, ever. Only in high hp rwd manuals and when the ass is at the limit of coming loose. Theres a highway entrance ramp with a small S in it that when I hit the top of 3rd in the R8 my eyballs are in the back of my head. In the manual with one hand on the stick and both feet on pedals youre hanging on for dear life but this car redefines physics for me. I cant even imagine the v10 guys with forced induction and no traction, hats off to you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Anyone get scared driving their R8

It takes a bit of learning but it's not just a straight up gun it and go for it thing. The rear end can definitely break loose in when it shifts to 2nd and 3rd but you know it's coming. You learn the car taking traction control off took me a couple of weeks but it was fun relearning the car.

My tuned 911 with TC off was a frothing lunatic. The R8 is much more balanced but has less mechanical rear grip mid and late apex. Losing traction on the R8 feels progressive and quattro steps in, but once you exceeded the grip on the 911 you better be committed because if you backed off too hard it would try to kill you. What I need to get used to is the maniacal speed this car accumulates when you bury the gas pedal, the speedo just keeps warping and you have to let go to see how fast your actually going.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

The only time I get scared is when I get ****ing teenager boys driving inches behind me to take pictures of my R8. Or when I have a ****ing teenager girl putting make up or texting while driving and changing lanes fast.

Yeah I was not ready for the attention this car gets.

Yes, but it quickly changed to euphoria! This car is amazing at the limit! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbI2vjZryxo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 R8 V10:
    Mythos Black, Vermont Brown, VFE Tune, Girodisc Rotors, CF Blades, Engine and Steering Wheel, Pedal Box+, BC Forged 19" RZ10, Audi 20" 10-spoke in Anthracite and Sunken Treasure Bronze
    2012 TTRS:
    Daytona Grey, Stage 2 GIAC tune, AWE FMIC, AWE SwitchPath Exhaust, 034 CF CAI, 034 Street Density mounts, MSS Sport Springs, H&R RSB, Girodisc rotors, HPA haldex controller, CF steering wheel and mirrors, Rear seat delete, HRE 19" P40's, TSW 18" Interlagos, Borbet 18" LV5's

Glad you're enjoying it and most of us here do but you haven't experienced fast if you think a Gen 1 R8 V10 is fast (based on your thumbnail). Speed is a relative term. Before we sold our GT-R my wife would say I have no problems flooring the R8 (2017 V10 Plus mind you) but I still have some trepidation every time I lay into the throttle in the GT-R.

Even with AWD our GT-R was a "slow" one when we owned it. I've been in some downright scary GT-Rs with insane power outputs. I've also owned a RWD Corvette with supercharger and meth injection. That would rip any R8 a new one in a straight line. 6 speed manual would light the tires at 75 MPH on street tires.
    2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus Ara Blue Crystal
    Larini Club Sport Exhaust
    10.8 @ 128 MPH (60' 1.68) - Stock
    10.6 @ 130 MPH (60' 1.66) - Exhaust+Pilot 4S Tires

2018 Audi RS7 Performance
    Mythos Black

Milltek non-resonated Exhaust. Hidden Content

What was the 1/4 on the gt-r? Sounds like u probably lost 2 seconds spinning tires and still broke 9’s Agree rwd is probably twice as terrifying

Quote Originally Posted by R_8cho View Post
    What was the 1/4 on the gt-r? Sounds like u probably lost 2 seconds spinning tires and still broke 9’s Agree rwd is probably twice as terrifying
    I said above our GT-R was a "slow" one. It was a fast car but a slow GT-R (a.k.a. FBO E85 and not a big build). Ran a 10.2 @ 136.
    2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus Ara Blue Crystal
    Larini Club Sport Exhaust
    10.8 @ 128 MPH (60' 1.68) - Stock
    10.6 @ 130 MPH (60' 1.66) - Exhaust+Pilot 4S Tires

2018 Audi RS7 Performance
    Mythos Black

Milltek non-resonated Exhaust. Hidden Content

The only thing that scares me is other motorists who have low level driving abilities.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast