Max Width Tires Front and Back

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Max Width Tires Front and Back

Max Width Tires Front and Back

Hey everyone, I am new to the R8 community! Picking up my 2017 R8 Plus from the current owner this weekend and I am pumped. I live in Chicago, and daily my cars with winter tires when it snows. I have a basically new set of Pirelli snow tires from my old car, and I was curious to know what the max tire size is that will fit on the stock 20" rims. The size of my tires is 285/30/20 on all four corners. How does the R8 do with a squared setup? Anybody run it? I always have run square setups on my 4WD cars and it increased handling capabilities dramatically. Hoping its the same with the R8. If the 285s don't fit on the stock wheels, than what is the max width and offset allowed on the front end of an R8? Will it handle 20x10s in the front with 285 rubber?

Worst case, I have to sell these and get another set of wheels and tires entirely. They are almost new and cost quite a bit, so I was hoping to salvage them!

I appreciate any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I know on a stock gen 1 car 265 will NOT fit.
    '04 A8L and '09 R8 R-Tronic, Ice Silver, Limestone Grey, Carbon Side-blades, Engine and Interior, Premium package, B&O, Upgrade leather, Navigation Plus

In the front.
    '04 A8L and '09 R8 R-Tronic, Ice Silver, Limestone Grey, Carbon Side-blades, Engine and Interior, Premium package, B&O, Upgrade leather, Navigation Plus

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Max Width Tires Front and Back

The Gen 2 has a staggered rolling diameter difference baked into the Quattro system. I wouldn’t deviate too much from that differential. Running a square setup is likely to end badly and expensively. I daily my Gen 2 in philly area. I run the stock 20’s (245F, 305R) with dedicated snows for winter and a set of custom 19’s for all other times. I’m running 255F and 345R without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 R8 V10:
    Mythos Black, Vermont Brown, VFE Tune, Girodisc Rotors, CF Blades, Engine and Steering Wheel, Pedal Box+, BC Forged 19" RZ10, Audi 20" 10-spoke in Anthracite and Sunken Treasure Bronze
    2012 TTRS:
    Daytona Grey, Stage 2 GIAC tune, AWE FMIC, AWE SwitchPath Exhaust, 034 CF CAI, 034 Street Density mounts, MSS Sport Springs, H&R RSB, Girodisc rotors, HPA haldex controller, CF steering wheel and mirrors, Rear seat delete, HRE 19" P40's, TSW 18" Interlagos, Borbet 18" LV5's

Congrats!! I was running 235/295 on the 991.2 911 for the chicago winter. I dont plan on dailying the R8 since last winter was brutal. If youre gonna drive in deep snow obviously narrower is better (as are 19s for pothole protection). With respect to summers, I personally wouldnt go past 245 up front (maybe 255) as it might kill steering feel, and if youre gonna go past 305 in rear for max corner grip you might consider wider wheels, as the stock rims are only 11’’ wide and it could feel squiggy with that much rubber on the rim. If you upgrade to 11.5 or 12’’ wide rear rims you can go much wider like 315-325 (or more). Make sure the rolling diameter difference is close Stock F to R and check woth your service guys because they can be A holes about everything

For the front 20x8.5 OEM wheels, with a 30 profile, 255 is the widest that Michelins/Pirellis/Continentals are spec'd out for.

For the rear 20x11 OEM wheels, with a 30 profile, 325 would still be in manufacturer spec.
    With a 25 profile, 315 would be the widest possible within spec for the rears.

You'll certainly have more options with rears that are 11.5" or wider.

I'm running:
    20 x 8.5 + 37 w/ 255/30ZR20
    20 x 12 + 51 w/ 345/25ZR20

This is a gen.1, but you can fit pretty big tires on the R8 if you don't drop your offsets.

Wow thanks for all the replies guys! This helps me immensely!

Quote Originally Posted by 991turbo View Post
    Wow thanks for all the replies guys! This helps me immensely!
    When youre done lemme know ill come over and u can compare to stock

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements