Audi R8 Forums banner

Gen 2 rims on Gen 1 - it can be done

16K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  hari-bhari 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd share with you guys:

Sold my Gen 2 wheels to a member here on the board. He's putting them on a Gen 1 V10.

Pix are in order of manufacture.

66.5" spigot bore of the Gen 2 rim
Outer diameter roughing
Inner diameter boring (then finish cut outer to make sure all runs perfectly true)
Spacer in hand
Spacer in wheel

I expect we'll see pix of Gen 2 wheels on a Gen 1 here soon.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
#8 ·
Excellent.
I'm glad you're happy and they look great.

#11 ·
STR racing makes a 20 spoke that looks like the Gen 2 wheel and it has a 66.6 mm center bore. Does it need a spacer like the one shown here? Does someone sell them, or was this a one-off deal?
The size and offset is a little off of stock, but should work fine.

2 x STR 615 20X10.5 5X112 ET35 CB66.67 MAGIC COPPER - $536.00

2 x STR 615 20X9 5X112 ET30 CB66.67 MAGIC COPPER - $536.00

Alloy wheel Rim Spoke Wheel Tire

#12 ·
STR racing makes a 20 spoke that looks like the Gen 2 wheel and it has a 66.6 mm center bore. Does it need a spacer like the one shown here? Does someone sell them, or was this a one-off deal?
The size and offset is a little off of stock, but should work fine.
To put those on a Gen 1 you will need spacers.
To put them on a Gen 2 you will need spacers for the fronts.

The spacers I made for the person who purchased the wheels from me are a one off set. I'm not interested in making any more of them.

Speak with Wheelb here on the site and see if they can supply you with them.

#14 ·
Just installed Gen2 20" on my Gen 1 Spyder. I really like the look and ride. Inspired by this post!

Attachments

#19 ·
I am not sure about that. I would say yes, but cannot guarantee it.

#22 ·
So far I’ve been quite pleased that it isn’t obviously noticeable versus my previous setup (stock 19” gen 1 v10 rims). However I’m not sure the rear is filling the arch sufficiently with my 305/25/20 on the rear. What do you think?

Do you get any rubbing on the fronts on full lock?

Do you get any issues with the AWD system with those tyre diameters? I thought you had to return the rears on lower profile? If not I might change to the larger profiles next time I need new tyres.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Sorry to revive this old post, but seems like a lot of people here got the Gen 2 wheels on their Gen 1. I just purchased a set and the rears are 305/30/20

I see many people here went with 305/25/20 or 295/30/20.

Anyone run 305/30/20? Mostly worried about rubbing. The revs per mile are lower, which is 741 revs/mi compared to stock 305/30/19 which is 770 revs/mi.

I see mixed opinions on whether or not this would cause an issue with the AWS system.

Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.