Mich Pilot PS4S

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mich Pilot PS4S

Mich Pilot PS4S

Just got my new Michilin Pilot Sport 4S' installed and man are they great!! I went up a size in the front and back on the stock wheels and I can see why that was a factory option. So much better fit IMO. Went with 245's up front and 305's out back. zxThese tires are light years better than the Conti's that were on it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mich Pilot PS4S-60342254_2212978075404526_2064695404590530560_o.jpg   Mich Pilot PS4S-60354141_2212976445404689_7182071211751374848_o.jpg   Mich Pilot PS4S-60502830_2212977792071221_3879418129096376320_o.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Mich Pilot PS4S

I have the same setup love it most of the time kind a feels soft on turns though

I just got back from Exotics Racing in Las Vegas. They run PS4S on all of their cars. Good grip, easy to control at the edge and beyond, and they sing when sliding. The instructors seemed happy with them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Begarrett View Post
    Just got my new Michilin Pilot Sport 4S' installed and man are they great!! I went up a size in the front and back on the stock wheels and I can see why that was a factory option. So much better fit IMO. Went with 245's up front and 305's out back. zxThese tires are light years better than the Conti's that were on it!
    you can even go to 255 front, cures all the understeer :-)
    expect you had the 5P Conti, the Conti Sport Contact 6 is on the same level then PS4S. Both are very good tyres, in 19" the PS4S is a tiny better and in 20" the Conti 6 is. Both the way to go on R8.
    Last edited by Helldriver; 05-17-2019 at 06:18 AM.
    Notice: We guarantee fast service, no matter how long it takesHidden Content

The PS4S are great all around tires. Good grip, really forgiving at the limit (with plenty of non-shrieky audible feedback when you approach it), and excellent rain characteristics (for an ultra-high performance summer tire). I use them as my wet track day setup, 245's in the front and 305's in the rear.

My biggest complaint is that they need a lot of camber. Even with close to -2.0 degrees of camber in the front, I'll wear down the outer inch of tread to the cords, and still have nearly full tread on the inside blocks. With the asymmetric tread pattern, you can't rotate or flip them, either, so when they're done, they're done, and you're throwing away a lot of perfectly good rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by jonm View Post
    The PS4S are great all around tires. Good grip, really forgiving at the limit (with plenty of non-shrieky audible feedback when you approach it), and excellent rain characteristics (for an ultra-high performance summer tire). I use them as my wet track day setup, 245's in the front and 305's in the rear.

My biggest complaint is that they need a lot of camber. Even with close to -2.0 degrees of camber in the front, I'll wear down the outer inch of tread to the cords, and still have nearly full tread on the inside blocks. With the asymmetric tread pattern, you can't rotate or flip them, either, so when they're done, they're done, and you're throwing away a lot of perfectly good rubber.
    go wider on the front....understeer....plus your suspension allignment seems wrong.
    255 35 19 is the way to go. Whats your overall alligment setup front/rear (chamber, toe...). Looks also your rear axle is to dominat and you also have to much toe in rear and front too.

the ONLY issue with this tire is the lean when cornering. it is a soft tire no matter how you spin it, with a soft sidewall.

everything else about it is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayzee View Post
    the ONLY issue with this tire is the lean when cornering. it is a soft tire no matter how you spin it, with a soft sidewall.

nope, the sidewall is killed by understeer, wrong suspesnion setup and a too dominating rear axle. Dreaded Audi security setup to kill fun before the limit....
    That the sidewall is quite soft (actually quite stable/hard for a street tyre) just helps to kill it without noticing it....
    Its a street tyre and for cars running >300kmh the camber must be under -2.5. (forced tyre slip, reducing massivly the LOI of the tyre and front ones are quite close to LOI limit).
    Put 255 upfront, camber front between -1.3 and -2 plus rear to -1 chamber. Toe 0 front and 8' rear...and understeer is gone and PS4S holds up very long for a street tyre on the track. And a bit more tyre pressure front helps too...on track approx 0.4bar more then street.

If you run a 235 with 20' toe in and rear axle with toe in 25' (OEM setup) then no wonder the sidewalls get killed=
    a) massiv load on the outer sidewall due to toe in even if you go straight on=sidewall gets already heated up and wears out even before you go into the curve then
    b) too less grip upfront compared to rear, not supported by enough camber so only 2/3 of the 235 is on the street=less grip
    c) understeer sway bar setup in the curve
    d) a rear axle with a 305=means 5 times the grip then front that just wants to go straight on and pushes the front tyre even more straight over the tyre sidewall in a curve
    ....cannot work and not PS4S fault.
    Last edited by Helldriver; 06-12-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Fully agree however not all people notice it. I would also add: loss of some steering feedback and strange tendency to change direction when new at very high speeds.

What tire pressures are you running with the PS4S's?
    2012 Audi R8 | V10 | Manual | AWE Exhaust | Carbon Blades | Carbon Engine Bay | Tuscan Brown Interior 2009 Buell 1125R | Barker Exhaust and ECM Tune | Michelin Pilot Road3's

Ahlman Performance LLC | Audi R8 Ohlins Coil-Overs | Chassis Development

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast