Reduced steering feel when fitting wider front tyres - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reduced steering feel when fitting wider front tyres

Re: Reduced steering feel when fitting wider front tyres

Get some Trofeo-R on it. They are just awesome and will transform your car

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by classba View Post
    Get some Trofeo-R on it. They are just awesome and will transform your car
    I'm sure they would. I have R888R's on my Evo so know how grippy these types of tyre can be. My R8 is mainly road use though so happy to stick with PS4S.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Trev450 View Post
    I'm sure they would. I have R888R's on my Evo so know how grippy these types of tyre can be. My R8 is mainly road use though so happy to stick with PS4S.
    Sure Trev. My GT is for road use and I switch to another set of wheels/ tyres in the winter months. They are sh!t though when cold and in the wet even only when damp.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trev450 View Post
    Thanks for your input. Although I don't track it very often (have a dedicated car for that) when I have I haven't had any real understeer issues and if I don't have a problem on track then I certainly won't need to worry when it comes to road driving. That's decided then - sticking with stock sizes.
    Glad to help. Good choice. I will be going back to 235's when my 245 PS4S's wear out.
    2012 Audi R8 | V10 | Manual | AWE Exhaust | Carbon Blades | Carbon Engine Bay | Tuscan Brown Interior 2009 Buell 1125R | Barker Exhaust and ECM Tune | Michelin Pilot Road3's

Ahlman Performance LLC | Audi R8 Ohlins Coil-Overs | Chassis Development

Quote Originally Posted by Scott-AhlmanPerformance View Post
    Glad to help. Good choice. I will be going back to 235's when my 245 PS4S's wear out.
    Did you try to realign and adapt your suspension? If you go wider you need to adapt your wheel alignment to that
    The 245 or even 255 less turning in can be compensated by less toe in rear and front. If you don't adjust your 20' toe in front factory spec based on a 235, its clear that with 245/255 the R8 just wanna go straight as you effectifly have created around 30-35' toe in. So it just wanna go straight on but not turning in and you loose steering feedback, with approx 8' toe in and 255 you have the same then 235 with 20' toe in. 2nd turning in is further reduced because front to rear wheel rolling difference got smaller with a 245 or 255 (nearly 0%) but the same 305 rear. That's the reason Audi used a smaller diameter front tyre then rear on R8. Use a 255 30 19 or 20 with a 305 30 19 or 20, adapt alignment ( I have 4' toe in front and 8' rear) and understeer really gone plus steering feel & turn in is 98% of 235 without the downsides of high negative chamber and resulting bump steer plus enormous tyre wear.
    Same if you use same width then OEM 11x19/20 with a 305 but its Offset 30 instead the 52=> less toe in rear as the wider rear axle with offset 30 is guiding the car more straight on then Offset 52.

classba: how much camber do you have to eleminate the understeer? I experienced min -2.5 better -3 camber needed with 235 and 305 Trofeo, thats ok on track but not on the street because of resulting bump steer.
    If you wanna use a semi on street the only that really works is Cup2, best in R01 Audi Spec so you need 20" wheels and it doesn't need negative chamber like the Trofeo needs to really work well. Yes in dry and hot summer california the Trofeo might work....here not plus your licence and car is gone before your front tyres have temp to really stick.
    Last edited by Helldriver; 08-08-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    Notice: We guarantee fast service, no matter how long it takesHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by classba View Post
    If it's not broken, don't fix it

FYI, the Mclaren 600LT only runs 225 sections up front
    1) how much front axle load has the 600LT without the aerodynamic downforce => much less then R8
    2) its RWD so front tyres just need to steer => R8 is hang on AWD and additional to steer they need to create motion forward
    3) McLaren are constructed as very balanced car that on the limit has oversteer. Audi has the dreaded understeer security setup constructed into the very balanced R8 as they done in all Audis since 2000....

Thats why a 225 works on a LT 600 but a 235 high performance street tyre will always understeer on an R8 Gen 1 unless you go to >-2,5 degrees camber front with all negative aspects related to that => bump steer, tyre wear, compromised straight on stability.....

if you convert Gen1 to RWD with the Lambo Ballboni 2WD rear anti sway bar fitted the 235 works with -1.5 camber without understeer
    Last edited by Helldriver; 08-08-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    Notice: We guarantee fast service, no matter how long it takesHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Helldriver View Post

classba: how much camber do you have to eleminate the understeer? I experienced min -2.5 better -3 camber needed with 235 and 305 Trofeo, thats ok on track but not on the street because of resulting bump steer.
    If you wanna use a semi on street the only that really works is Cup2, best in R01 Audi Spec so you need 20" wheels and it doesn't need negative chamber like the Trofeo needs to really work well. Yes in dry and hot summer california the Trofeo might work....here not plus your licence and car is gone before your front tyres have temp to really stick.
    I'm running max camber allowed. Need to dig out the sheet.

Not forgetting that the GT is a totally different animal to the rest of the R8 variants. For a start, it run coil overs and it is 10mm lower plus the lighter in weight all contributes to the handling of the car. Sorry, No bump steer so you're wrong

I'm very happy with the stock size Trofeo R's thank you. They get upto temp quickly in the summer months. ( I still have my licence and the car)
    Last edited by classba; 08-08-2019 at 08:55 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12